Former JA Building Renovation

Yankee Fan

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

they had special consideration because they are a govt building at not a private building

Maybe because the name Devos was involved?

Why give one special consideration and not the other, just because one is for profit, that is a horrible reason. :sick:

Hmm... basic rule of building design, they should have a base, a middle, and a top.

The original building is the base, all the red brick is the middle, but without the sign, its sort of missing its top.

Give DTS Winkleman the sign back! (And maybe we could get the middle to feel lighter than the base somehow, rather than all that heavy red brick?

(backseat designing... hah! the folks at winkleman must be rolling their eyes)

Public university buildings can trump local code.

As do other schools. They are exempt from local zoning regs, don't have to go through logical processes such as site plan review. (Check out the MLUI report on new schools being built on huge ag parcels miles and miles from where kids can walk to them. mlui.org, I think.)

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I know it was definitely denied. Unless MSU moves in :) Schools can do whatever they want (though I have never heard anyone mention this building as a possible site (it would be on "neutral ground" though.

Joe

Has the rooftop signage been definitively denied? Or is there still a chance that it'll be allowed?

On this topic of the rooftop sign:

Churches, schools granted loophole in city ordinance

Two different things. The variance to allow changing message boards for churches & schools in residential districts is a different animal than the lettering atop JA (unless I am misremembering this as a static sign). Generally it's a good idea to prevent visual clutter by limiting sign quantities and sizes. And JA isn't exactly in a RES zone.

Now, if the JA folk submitted a proposal for interesting artistic shapes atop their building--not lettering--those can't really be construed as a sign. (Unless the shapes are highway info icons implying this is a place to get a paper cut or a drink or food or...) If I were them, that's what I'd do. (I've seen neon ambiguous shapes on buildings, trying to recall where.)

[enjoying the chance to play my planner card]

Archived