Former JA Building Renovation

Yankee Fan

Sounds like the "major bank tenant" is pulling out for a building in the burbs. Chris Knape has an article about the site in his blog. Wasn't having the bank as a tenant for the building the main "piece" of the project? What will happen with this corner now? Didn't the owner say if the developement fell through, he would put the place up for sale?

"Unfortunately the bank's state charter application includes some last-minute revisions that literally cross out plans for the new bank's main facility to be downtown. Instead the bank's first and only location as it gets up and running will be in a former Macatawa Bank branch at 4471 Wilson Ave. SW in Grandville."

Proposed Grand River Bank bailing on Bob Tol?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone know any rich, world famous bicyclists from Grand Rapids that want to turn this building into a bicycle commuting center?...

Couple decades back I was nationally almost famous. Still ain't rich, though.

[running my very own bike commuting center]

• 9 months later...

i think that a bar/restaurant would be ideal for this building. neon lighting on the outside, kinda harking back to the 50s, which was obviously the buildings hayday.. i just think it would be neat.

A concept restaurant like an Ed Debevic's (sp?) or something retro in this spot might be really cool...expand the windows...(love the neon)...and make sure there is plenty of ice cream, chrome and checkerboard tile...lots of branded merchandise for sale...

That said it would have to be a destination/attraction and draw heavily on tourists...I don't see a place like that being frequented regularly enough by G-Rappers to make it sustainable in the long term.

A concept restaurant like an Ed Debevic's (sp?) or something retro in this spot might be really cool...expand the windows...(love the neon)...and make sure there is plenty of ice cream, chrome and checkerboard tile...lots of branded merchandise for sale...

That said it would have to be a destination/attraction and draw heavily on tourists...I don't see a place like that being frequented regularly enough by G-Rappers to make it sustainable in the long term.

With that curved corner, if you expanded the windows you could almost mimic Edward Hopper's Nighthawks...

Nighthawks.jpg

Drove by today and there is some new framework above that recently repaired "canopy" that just screams artist rendering and opening date billboard for whatever might be happening to that building. Also, all of the 2nd floor windows on the Fulton side have been removed - not sure about the Division side.

When WOODTV News was reporting about the Kendall Building development on the noon newscast they mentioned that the old JA Building is being renovated for retail and office space.

How did this one get by us?

~John

Just because WOODTV reports it, doesn't mean it's necessarily true. :) They may have old information from last year when the JA building was going to be a bank (deal fell apart apparently).

When WOODTV News was reporting about the Kendall Building development on the noon newscast they mentioned that the old JA Building is being renovated for retail and office space.

How did this one get by us?

~John

Because it's incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived