Former JA Building Renovation

Yankee Fan

• 11 months later...

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds plausible. It's basically ground 0 for Grand Rapids yet surprisingly has been vacant since 1998. It looks to have potential but is a reminder that for all the improvements which have/are happening downtown the city has a ways to go.

In what way? I'm just curious.

Sounds plausible. It's basically ground 0 for Grand Rapids yet surprisingly has been vacant since 1998. It looks to have potential but is a reminder that for all the improvements which have/are happening downtown the city has a ways to go.

Honestly, it's only ground zero on maps.

If you really look at the center of GR it's probably closer to Rosa Parks Cir. (in my opinion).

There's a number of vacant or lower occupancy buildings yet. Keeler obviously and my impression is commercial office vacancy is still hovering around 20%, possibly more. Then you have the need for various retail/grocery/other that competes price wise (or comes close to) suburban outlets. And what's going on with the 22 S Ionia building? Moving north of downtown it's illustrative to pull up a google satellite map of the area between Monroe and Division north of 196. Unless that was a weekend shot or early in the morning there sure are a lot of empty parking spaces up there.

• 3 months later...

When I rode by on my way to work yesterday morning and there was a TV camera recording near the front door, I had hoped that meant an announcement was coming.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/01/architectural_firm_will_move_i.html#incart_river_default

Architectural firm Tower Pinkster is moving 25 jobs to downtown.

Edit:

Rapid Growth has the rendering and proposed site design: http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/devnews/4EFulton0117.aspx

I think It'd be really cool if they could do something interesting with the giant hole in the roof.

When I rode by on my way to work yesterday morning and there was a TV camera recording near the front door, I had hoped that meant an announcement was coming.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2013/01/architectural_firm_will_move_i.html#incart_river_default

Architectural firm Tower Pinkster is moving 25 jobs to downtown.

Edit:

Rapid Growth has the rendering and proposed site design: http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/devnews/4EFulton0117.aspx

I think It'd be really cool if they could do something interesting with the giant hole in the roof.

I merged the two topics. Surprised I remembered how to do it. :P

Sad to see no additional floors or something really awesome done with the roof space. From what I can tell they are just going to scrub up the exterior and replace the windows there. But considering how hard it was for everyone else to pull something off this may just be the best you could hope for.

Would love to see a Wendy's or diner type establishment on the lower floor as part of a food court.

Sad to see no additional floors or something really awesome done with the roof space. From what I can tell they are just going to scrub up the exterior and replace the windows there. But considering how hard it was for everyone else to pull something off this may just be the best you could hope for.

Would love to see a Wendy's or diner type establishment on the lower floor as part of a food court.

I want a big retailer. Macys, target, trader joes, Urban outfitters, hell even an Apricot Lane. Something uncommon to the area.

A few more shots. (Wonder why UP won't let me edit a previous post.)

The building is not large enough for one of the cited retailers, but it could easily fit a food court or MoDiv-type stores.

ArtPrize in the basement. These are strips of elastic.

file0066-1.jpg

file0063-1.jpg

Center of town, excellent visibility.

file0073-1.jpg

file0072-1.jpg

file0076-1.jpg

file0069-1.jpg

I know they talked about the basement as a separate entitty, but I wonder if it would entice someone if they had the opportunity to cut a hole in the floor and open up that space?

I think that would be pretty sweet. Particularly if you made the hole in the floor part of the front lobby.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is it is a Historical Building and can't be heavily modified with additional floors or anything.

The problem is it is a Historical Building and can't be heavily modified with additional floors or anything.

This thing is considered historic? Honestly the only thing historic about it is it having some weak Art Moderne styling on the exterior and a curved front. Nothing on the inside is even special to the time when it was first built.

I would think the city would gladly have let the whole interior be gutted, and some extra floors be added

Archived