Former JA Building Renovation

Yankee Fan

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a render, albeit small:

2248598347_17cf90779d_o.jpg

I do hope that this actually gets done. Any kind of use at that corner, especially with 2 West Fulton coming in, will be good for that whole area up and down Division. It's sad seeing so many buildings and lots at one of our busiest corners perpetually vacant.

It's brick, not paint. I don't think they are changing the color of the brick either. :silly:

Joe

Uninspiring, it doesn't even look like they are changing the color of the paint.

That said, it will be nice to see that building being used instead of just sitting vacant like it has been since I moved here.

It looks like they are going to add awnings and repaint the trim. I also imagine it will get all new windows. I think it will look fine.

The new wall that they added on the backside probably gives it a fire rating in order for someone to build a new building to the East?

It's brick, not paint. I don't think they are changing the color of the brick either. :silly:

Joe

Haha! Well I feel dumb now. That shows how little I know about the building. I have passed by it so many times but usually don't even notice it. It just doesn't stand out.

Yeah, it doesn't exactly scream out at you now. Hopefully with a little polish and some new windows, it will look good!

Joe

Haha! Well I feel dumb now. That shows how little I know about the building. I have passed by it so many times but usually don't even notice it. It just doesn't stand out.

There are just a few other art deco buildings that I know of in Grand Rapids. They're all on Division, south of where anything interesting is happening yet. This building might not be the best example of art deco, but it's what we've got.

As Nitro pointed out a few pages back in this discussion, this building is most certainly not true art deco. It is Art Moderne and what I consider the beotchized step-son of Art Deco... I am not a fan of this building and don't believe something so uninspiring should be sitting at the busiest intersection in town and across the street from one of the most exciting new developments in town...

As Nitro pointed out a few pages back in this discussion, this building is most certainly not true art deco. It is Art Moderne and what I consider the beotchized step-son of Art Deco... I am not a fan of this building and don't believe something so uninspiring should be sitting at the busiest intersection in town and across the street from one of the most exciting new developments in town...

Maybe the little bank that is moving into it will become a big bank. :dontknow: Sometimes a bird in the hand....

I know Div/Ful is the emotional center of town...but is it really the busiest intersection in town anymore? Is it even close? It never seems that busy to me, and no matter what you do there, the hulking police station is going to make that corner less than outstanding to me.

that "hulking police station" has been sitting there for a long time, its not a new thing, and at least its occupied

I personally think it would be great if the police station moved, then we could use that building for something unique. Like a children's mall!

I guess I should be happy it's occupied for now too. :D

I personally think it would be great if the police station moved, then we could use that building for something unique. Like a children's mall!

I guess I should be happy it's occupied for now too. :D

Do you remember the City Center mall? Baaaaad.

Do the cops ride around in the train there?

That used to be fun when I was a kid. Didn't they make it into a children's mall for awhile after city center? I remember going there when it opened after city center closed.

I believe the mall would do much better now if it were still there.

Is there any historic value to this building? If the GRPD moves out (which I doubt will happen in the next 40 years) this would be the perfect location for a mixed use highrise.

Anyone know any rich, world famous bicyclists from Grand Rapids that want to turn this building into a bicycle commuting center?

Lance Armstrong Unveils his new Commuting Bike Shop:

"It's not about the bike sales. That from Tour de France champion Lance Armstrong, who plans in May to open a bike shop, commuting center, training facility and cafe in a 1950s-era building at the northwest corner of Fourth and Nueces streets."

http://www.austin360.com/recreation/conten...14bikeshop.html

Archived