Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nashvillwill

Apple maps 3D-City View

4 posts in this topic

As you may have heard, the new iPhone 5 went on sale today. With that also came the release of iOS6 (the new operating system) for older apple devices. I'm not planning to upgrade phones anytime soon, bu a new OS is always welcomed. With the new OS, apple has dropped google maps as their default mapping program and released their own "Apple maps". There is some debate about google vs. apple, but I decided to give it a fair shot.

This new software has some pretty amazing stuff, specifically the 3D view. With it, you can take an amazing 3 dimensional tour of many places looking down upon a city from any angle with amazing detail.

Nashville is currently NOT mapped out like some cities such as San Francisco and New York, but I bet it's only a matter of time.

If you have an apple device and have updated to iOS6, it's worth a good look.

After playing with the girlfriend's Apple Maps when she updated to iOS6, I have to say that I am very much less than impressed. The 3D function is kind of cool, but it just seems so gimmicky, and it's nothing new since it was available on Google Earth a while back.

The actual functionality of the map is broken though. Addresses are pretty accurate, but its database of locations is nonexistent. I tried typing in the name of some train stations around my neck of the woods, a common search I would think, and it didn't return back any results for a train station, just some road names. Specifically, I typed in "St. Davids Station" in the hopes that it would pull up the train station next to my apartment, which it did not. After looking at the map, it does not even have ANY of the SEPTA Regional Rail stations even mapped, so using it to find transit options is impossible (good job Apple, I thought you were supposed to be progressive). It has Valley Forge National Park shown as about half the size as it actually is, and it is titled "Valleyforge [sic] State Park". It hasn't been a state park since 1976, when it was turned over to the NPS. It has Kentucky Lake (in Tennessee) inexplicably listed as Jackson Lake in a few places. It doesn't render streams on the map. In non-urban areas, it does tend to have higher quality satellite imagery than google, although it is older. In urban areas, it seems to be significantly more outdated than Google. Utilizing turn by turn directions is pretty useless too, because it appears as though when you turn off the screen it stops giving directions altogether and closes out the maps.

Frankly, its usefulness as a map program is quite limited until they're able to fix it. I'm so disappointed. Apple sells things because they work. They should have sucked it up and kept on using Google Maps until they had a functional product, which they do not have right now. The moment they had something that worked, they could have kicked Google to the curb, but not a moment sooner. Steve Jobs is rolling in his grave, I'm sure.

On the other hand, maybe it's a conspiracy with TomTom to get people to buy more GPS devices...hmm...

Ill admit, I haven't used google earth in a while, so maybe I've missed their 3D mode, but I was highly impressed with the building renderings on apple maps. The google 3D I've seen is similar to apples in "regular view", with a grey outline of a building shape. But web you put apple maps in "hybrid or satellite 3D" it renders buildings at a realistic view. I think it's pretty amazing (although, I confess it could have been done by google for some time now ).

I've definately noticed some shortcomings in the apple maps vs. google, but the turn-by-turn worked fine for me. Also, maybe it's because I'm in San Francisco, but everything seems to be mapped out pretty accurately here.

It's a work in progress and I may end up going back to google, but I wanted to give it a fair shot.

Although, for the purposes of this forum, I was just pointing out how amazing and life-like i think the 3D building rendering is (in select markets).

Just a heads up, Nashville is now avaliable on Apple Maps in 3D view. One of my new favorite toys. It's slightly dated (convention center hotel hasn't started construction), but amazing nonetheless.

Check it out.