Clemson University Main Campus Developments

ausrutherford

I could not find another thread on developments in the main campus. Of course we know of the other developments like ICAR, DT Greenville space, and the upcoming Charleston post-grad campus...so its time to shift to the heart of #solidorange!

First off is the new Biological Sciences building on the back side of campus. I have yet to hear a name for it yet, but it looks nice so I cant wait to have classes in it starting next semester! The building opens in about 2-3 weeks.

biobuilding3_zps2d95b3b0.jpg

biobuilding2_zpsbb10dfe0.jpg

Biobuilding1_zps3a0fc8ae.jpg

Next up is the indoor Football practice facility near the indoor track building.

indoorfb1_zpsa20b6737.jpg

indoorfb2_zpsb99b4882.jpg

indoorfb3_zps08d55808.jpg

indoorfb4_zps9fded2c8.jpg

And dont get use to the West End Zone look. I believe Phase III starts at the end of this season.

Yep. http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2011/jan/14/clemson-unveils-major-50-million-athletics-facilit/

3274_885_westzone2.jpg

3274_884_westzone1.jpg

3274_894_tennis2.jpg

3274_891_soccer2.jpg

3274_882_footballpractice3.jpg

Lee Hall was dedicated April 13th after a 31.6 million dollar renovation. http://www.clemson.edu/media-relations/4212

4212_1586_leea.jpg

Some interesting earth friendly facts:

The building is zero-energy-ready, designed to offset all of its energy consumption with its own renewable energy. Energy savings began with the decision to use construction materials, some with recycled content, from sources within 500 miles of campus. This reduced the carbon footprint of the project, a key factor in sustainability.

An energy dashboard provides real-time data on temperature, humidity, energy and water use. Heating and cooling are geothermal. Natural light is provided by 53 external and internal skylights. The skylights and window walls minimize the need for lighting during daylight hours.

Building occupants check monitors that indicate when conditions are conducive to natural ventilation, provided through both manually and mechanically operated windows.

The 30,000-square-foot sedum roof is the largest university Garden Roof in the southeastern United States. Pervious paving materials on the site allow stormwater to seep into the ground instead of municipal treatment systems.

The new Academic Success Center was recently completed ($13.7 million project). http://www.clemson.edu/media-relations/4183

4183_1584_1956asc_002.jpg

Clemson needed these last two projects badly. The pedestrian bridge by SC 93 is needed as well. That sidewalk is too narrow for the amount of people that use it.

• 4 weeks later...

The Trustees put the final nail in the coffin to Union and old Johnstone Hall on Friday.

"the concept stage of a 260,000-square-foot core campus construction project for new student housing and dining facilities. The total project includes approximately 700 beds, dining facilities, a convenience store, offices and shared seminar and meeting space for faculty and students. The new construction will be adjacent to Johnstone Residence Hall, Harcombe Dining Hall and the University Union, most of which will be demolished by 2020. Construction is set to begin in 2014. The total project cost is estimated to be $98.4 million."

The Trustees put the final nail in the coffin to Union and old Johnstone Hall on Friday.

"the concept stage of a 260,000-square-foot core campus construction project for new student housing and dining facilities. The total project includes approximately 700 beds, dining facilities, a convenience store, offices and shared seminar and meeting space for faculty and students. The new construction will be adjacent to Johnstone Residence Hall, Harcombe Dining Hall and the University Union, most of which will be demolished by 2020. Construction is set to begin in 2014. The total project cost is estimated to be $98.4 million."

Unfortunately this is what they have been planning for 20 years. I'll believe it when I see construction. Plus they just renovated Harcombe. I don't get Clemson as this is one of the ugliest buildings on campus and is right by places that people always see on tours (Tillman, Fort Mill, the quad and Death Valley). I will be ecstatic when Johnstone gets demolished. Luckily I never lived there but have known some people who have and visited them. It's a great location on campus though but I always lived on the East side.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took some photos of the new P&A extension...

IMG_0158_zps6657b420.jpg

IMG_0159_zps1a50737d.jpg

IMG_0160_zps6b83fbb2.jpg

IMG_0161_zps6b4bf839.jpg

IMG_0162_zps34ca7bdc.jpg

IMG_0163_zpsc09591ae.jpg

IMG_0164_zps50d74d6a.jpg

IMG_0165_zpse71c2b5c.jpg

IMG_0167_zpsc5011262.jpg

Interesting feature. The building has its own "holding areas" for water runoff.

IMG_0166_zpsf8df6c54.jpg

They started prep work on this. Some of the trees have been cut and their are survey lines sprayed on.

• 2 weeks later...

From today:

- gave concept approval for a new outdoor wellness and fitness center on Hartwell Lake west of central campus. The facility will include approximately16,000 square feet of climate-controlled activity and support space and approximately 15,000 square feet of unheated space for outdoor-covered programming.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Final approval has been given to the Douthit Hills Dorm project. I have talked to people in the know on this and it will be an urban setting with a small grocery store, places to eat, etc.

Concept approvals were also made for the new B&BS building which will go up next to Lee III.

http://www.clemson.edu/media-relations/4842/clemson-trustees-approve-restructuring-capital-projects/

Final approval has been given to the Douthit Hills Dorm project. I have talked to people in the know on this and it will be an urban setting with a small grocery store, places to eat, etc.

Concept approvals were also made for the new B&BS building which will go up next to Lee III.

http://www.clemson.edu/media-relations/4842/clemson-trustees-approve-restructuring-capital-projects/

Very excited about the Douthit Hills Project. This is going to be a big undertaking and will help the presence of Clemson on that end of the road. They need to really push for this urban setting to kind of mesh downtown Clemson with the university. Hopefully they will add sidewalks to that side of 93...

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

CLEMSON — Clemson University trustees reviewed a series of proposed athletic facility capital projects at its quarterly meeting Friday, giving final approval to a pair while granting pre-approval to six for future development.

Upgrades to Doug Kingsmore Stadium and the third phase of the WestZone complex at Memorial Stadium received final approval from the board.

The pre-concept approval status allows the athletic department and IPTAY to commission further studies and begin fundraising efforts. Included in the proposed facilities: 1) a rebuilt basketball arena on the current site of Littlejohn Coliseum; 2) a new academic center as part of the core campus project; 3) the construction of a letter winner’s area and meeting space at Memorial Stadium; 4) complete suite renovation at Memorial Stadium; 5) a new football operations facility; and 6) significant upgrades to the tennis complex.

“Clemson has consistently been in the forefront of athletic facilities and accommodations for our student athletes,” director of athletics Dan Radakovich said. “These projects provide a roadmap to continuing Clemson’s tradition of excellence in our facilities.”

The trustees approved a resolution to request issuance of state institution bonds, not exceeding $23.7 million, to build Spaulding Paolozzi Center, home of Clemson’s architecture and historic preservation programs in Charleston

The board also approved a resolution to request issuance of state institution bonds, not exceeding $10 million, for an expansion to Freeman Hall, home of the industrial engineering department on campus.

The proposal for new Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees in criminal justice gained the board’s acceptance. The degree programs will prepare students for careers in criminal justice and law enforcement, as well as in policy, law and human rights.

In other action, the trustees voted to:

• acquire 3.23 acres of the USDA vegetable lab property in Charleston,
  • approve a PSA regulatory services lease for CAT building in Pendleton and
  • accept the gift of one acre of land adjacent to the genetic center in Greenwood

The trustees elected John N. (Nicky) McCarter Jr. of Hopkins as vice chairman of the board. He became a trustee in 2008. McCarter graduated from Clemson in 1980 with a Bachelor of Science degree in administration management, and he is president of Defender Services.

_

The big news for myself s that Phase III of the West End Zone was given the final go ahead.