Clemson University Main Campus Developments

ausrutherford

The venue has a new name now, thankfully. Any interest I had in BI-LO has vanished. Glad the Tigers will play in Greenville while they await the completion of their new facility in Clemson. It seems odd that they recently renovated Littlejohn Coliseum and already want another upgrade, but I suppose that is the state of collegiate athletics these days.

The venue has a new name now, thankfully. Any interest I had in BI-LO has vanished. Glad the Tigers will play in Greenville while they await the completion of their new facility in Clemson. It seems odd that they recently renovated Littlejohn Coliseum and already want another upgrade, but I suppose that is the state of collegiate athletics these days.

It was renovated almost 11 years ago. It seems like it's about time. It's a great facility but there are things that can definitely be improved upon. Will probably make more games if they move it to BSWA for a season.

I admit those purple "cushioned" seats at the 'john are rather uncomfortable.

I don't know how much renovating is occurring in the main part but they are adding a practice court facility off the Southwest side of the main building and a pavilion type area for events off the Southeast side. Hopefully they upgrade the seats! Graduations can be brutal.

I don't know how much renovating is occurring in the main part but they are adding a practice court facility off the Southwest side of the main building and a pavilion type area for events off the Southeast side. Hopefully they upgrade the seats! Graduations can be brutal.

I take "gutting" to mean they will take it down to the cement block. I know they want to add box seating so some seats will be lost.

I take "gutting" to mean they will take it down to the cement block. I know they want to add box seating so some seats will be lost.

That's a shame because the students don't have enough seats as is for games. The two lower sides are for ticket holders and it always left a bad taste when the two ends and upper area were full but the two sides were half full.

I found it interesting that they are decreasing seating from 10,000 to 8,000.  I suppose they want to make room for luxury boxes, which I understand in terms of revenue generation.  It will put Clemson's arena on par with Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke in terms of seating.  Contrast this with places like UNC and South Carolina which have arenas in the 18,000-20,000 range for seating capacity.

I for one like the smaller, more intimate arenas.  All of the seats are good, and they can get quite loud when filled to capacity.  For a school like Clemson, where basketball historically takes a back seat, an arena on the smaller side makes sense.  A new facility is definitely needed in order to compete in recruiting, and I'm glad to see the university making a commitment to it.

I found it interesting that they are decreasing seating from 10,000 to 8,000.  I suppose they want to make room for luxury boxes, which I understand in terms of revenue generation.  It will put Clemson's arena on par with Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke in terms of seating.  Contrast this with places like UNC and South Carolina which have arenas in the 18,000-20,000 range for seating capacity.

I for one like the smaller, more intimate arenas.  All of the seats are good, and they can get quite loud when filled to capacity.  For a school like Clemson, where basketball historically takes a back seat, an arena on the smaller side makes sense.  A new facility is definitely needed in order to compete in recruiting, and I'm glad to see the university making a commitment to it.

Een more important for recruiting will be the new practice gym and weight room.

Very nice: 

Clemson University is seeking construction bids for a 299,000-square-foot campus complex that will include new student housing and dining areas, the Honors College and an athletic academic center. The project, described as an overlapping “megastructure,” has an estimated cost of up to $96 million.

The request for contractor qualifications has a Nov. 25 deadline.

The work, which is part of the university’s 2020 Road Map plan, includes site development, 177,000 square feet for about 700 beds, 76,000 square feet for dining facilities, 11,000 square feet for the Honors College, and 35,000 square feet for the athletic academic center.

Edited by gman430

Very nice: 

Clemson University is seeking construction bids for a 299,000-square-foot campus complex that will include new student housing and dining areas, the Honors College and an athletic academic center. The project, described as an overlapping “megastructure,” has an estimated cost of up to $96 million.

The request for contractor qualifications has a Nov. 25 deadline.

The work, which is part of the university’s 2020 Road Map plan, includes site development, 177,000 square feet for about 700 beds, 76,000 square feet for dining facilities, 11,000 square feet for the Honors College, and 35,000 square feet for the athletic academic center.

Sounds great but kind of bummed that they are even building an "athletic academic center". They should be trying integrate the athletes more with the regular student body, especially since a huge academic success center was just opened by the library. This just seems backwards to separating the two entities even more. They have been talking about this new complex for over 10 years. Excited to see some movement as this is the most visible and one of the oldest parts of campus that has not been renovated or rebuilt.

Athletic Department just launched a new page with info and video rendering of all projects:

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209288540&DB_OEM_ID=28500

That was a nice interview with Dan Radakovich.  I really like his ambitious goals for Clemson athletics.  The new basketball arena, the Death Valley improvements, and the new football administration complex adjacent to the indoor practice facility are all excellent ideas that I'm glad to see happening.  Plus, the central campus area which currently houses Johnstone Hall, the old student union, and Harcombe Dining Hall will look totally different with the new plans.  I'm very excited to see it all come together!

For those who don't want to watch the video, of interest to downtown Greenville is the fact that the new basketball arena will require that Clemson play an entire season somewhere else.  The athletic administration hopes that can be at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.  Radakovich even stated that they refer to Greenville as "Orangeville" because of all the Clemson alums and fans in the area. 

• 3 months later...

I have no opinion as to the appropriateness of Duke Center in Clemson, but I do want to point out that, at just 65 feet tall, this project does not qualify as a "high rise" (as suggested by the WYFF news story) under generally accepted standards. Most building engineers, inspectors, architects and similar professions, including the the National Fire Protection Association, define a high rise as a building that is at least 75 feet tall (23 meters). At best, the seven-story plan is borderline.

I have no opinion as to the appropriateness of Duke Center in Clemson, but I do want to point out that, at just 65 feet tall, this project does not qualify as a "high rise" (as suggested by the WYFF news story) under generally accepted standards. Most building engineers, inspectors, architects and similar professions, including the the National Fire Protection Association, define a high rise as a building that is at least 75 feet tall (23 meters). At best, the seven-story plan is borderline.

I think with the plans it shows that the back of the building will be taller because it is located on a hill. I'm not sure if that would help qualify it as a high rise still. 

This project may need to be tweaked but I think that it would help Clemson's progress. I thought they were meeting last night so I'm interested to hear how it turned out. People are mad because there isn't enough parking but most people who lived here would walk to the school to avoid paying for a parking pass and would walk to the bars and restaurants downtown. Expect more of these type of projects to be coming in the future. 

Here are the plans if anyone is interested:

http://www.cityofclemson.org/planning-and-codes/board-architectural-review-february-meeting

At first I thought this was the one being built already, but it isn't.

Looks like this is going across the street from the church.

Look, as the University grows, this is what is going to happen. No houses are being torn down (Im not sure if any are already). People will have to deal with it. The small college town will simply get bigger. Most people from this development and others that WILL follow in the area will not be driving their cars everywhere. They will be walking or biking due to the great location.

I have seen that open site and thought it would be perfect for this type of development before. Time to make way for the future.