Clemson University Main Campus Developments

ausrutherford

Final approval has been given to the Douthit Hills Dorm project. I have talked to people in the know on this and it will be an urban setting with a small grocery store, places to eat, etc.

Concept approvals were also made for the new B&BS building which will go up next to Lee III.

http://www.clemson.edu/media-relations/4842/clemson-trustees-approve-restructuring-capital-projects/

Douthit Hills project has begun. The houses that sit on the site have been gutted. 

Glad they are changing the 4 way light there at Cherry Road. 

Any word on when they are suppose to start construction on the Meadow to replace Johnstone? I now the final bids went out, so I was guessing this summer after the semester ends?

Edited by ausrutherford

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Clemson's President tweeted out earlier that the Douthit Hills project was given the final ok. 

Construction start in Dec/Jan...all completed by 2018. Development includes new Welcome Center. 

http://www.independentmail.com/news/clemsons-douthit-hills-project-gets-final-ok-littlejohn-renovation-pitch-could-come-in-october

Clemson's President tweeted out earlier that the Douthit Hills project was given the final ok. 

Construction start in Dec/Jan...all completed by 2018. Development includes new Welcome Center. 

http://www.independentmail.com/news/clemsons-douthit-hills-project-gets-final-ok-littlejohn-renovation-pitch-could-come-in-october

Great things coming to Clemson.

• 2 months later...

Not on campus, but another mixed use development got another push forward for downtown:

CLEMSON  – The city of Clemson gave conditional approval Tuesday to construction of a controversial five-story student housing/retail building on College Avenue that opponents say would damage the small-town character of downtown but city officials said is a much needed addition.

The city's Board of Architectural Review, which has been challenged in court over the way it has handled the proposed Dukes Center, gave a unanimous thumbs up to developer Tom Winkopp to move ahead with the project, on the condition that he improve the appearance of the two side facades.

Architects representing Winkopp said they could make the requested changes.

The revised plan will be presented to the city's zoning and codes administrator, Todd Steadman, who was authorized to give the final OK but said he wouldn't do so without first sharing the revisions with members of the board.

The Architectural Review Board is appointed by City Council.

The action came after a public session in which six of seven speakers urged the board to back away from the plan.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/pickens-county/2014/11/11/city-clemson-gives-conditional-ok-controversial-five-story-downtown-project/18892001/

a13rendering-page-001.jpg

• 3 months later...

Clemson Shopping Center to be demolished and turned into student housing with a restaurant space. Most of the businesses have locations they are moving into. Filling up empty retail across the city. Seems like a net win for everyone:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/pickens-county/2015/03/12/clemson-shopping-center-demolished-student-housing-rise/70203492/

• 10 months later...
2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

^^ Very interesting.  I remember when they first opened it.  It is MUCH smaller than the Richland County library which has less population.  I don't see how they could expand the building they are in.  They should buy the Cline property (across Atwood) and build new there.  

We are talking about Clemson University...not Heritage Green. 

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, gman430 said:

I hate the location they picked. It's going to kill campus vibes, especially around homecoming and Bowman events. The beauty of Bowman Field is that it's surrounded by big old oaks, green spaces, classic buildings (Tillman and Sikes and Clemson House (I know the last one is ugly, but it's got so much history)) and downtown Clemson, but its right in the middle of everything. It feels secluded. Dumping this development between where Clemson House sits and Bowman just makes me cringe.

4 hours ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

I hate the location they picked. It's going to kill campus vibes, especially around homecoming and Bowman events. The beauty of Bowman Field is that it's surrounded by big old oaks, green spaces, classic buildings (Tillman and Sikes and Clemson House (I know the last one is ugly, but it's got so much history)) and downtown Clemson, but its right in the middle of everything. It feels secluded. Dumping this development between where Clemson House sits and Bowman just makes me cringe.

I agree completely.

23 hours ago, Joey_Blackdogg said:

Well Clemson House is being demoed too.