I-4 Widening Project

GRS328

I-4 Widening Project Takes Out Homes In Its Wake

To Make Room For New Lanes, Hundreds Of Homes Will Be Torn Down

POSTED: 5:22 pm EDT May 19, 2005

UPDATED: 11:10 am EDT May 20, 2005

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The largest expansion of an interstate in Central Florida history will cost some people their houses and some neighborhoods their character.

When the Interstate 4 widening project is complete, I-4 will have 12 lanes of traffic, including four toll lanes right up the middle.

from WESH

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least those 90ft ramps will give great views of the downtown skyline.

Seriously though, if they are now going to expand the road to 12 lanes, with a toll road in the middle, what was the point of spending millions of dollars last year to make it eight lanes, only to tear it up two years later?

^ And that is tonight's fleecing of America. :rofl: Sometimes government makes no sense at all. I guess the middle toll lanes are going to happen. I thought Senator Mica was fighting it. I am all for the improvements and was for mobility 20/20 too but i guess since that got voted down (everybody wants everything for free) this will help offset the costs associated with major improvements. If they didn't waste all that money the last time like lakelander was pointing out then maybe they would have more for future projects. The main reason i wanted 20/20 was for the public safety aspects of it. Oh, well, I will settle for toll lanes as all fire rescue and ambulances have E-Pass.

Where are they going to find land to expand at the downtown Orlando section?

Why cant they build the intecrhcange the way they want it in first place?

All the highway in Orlando will be toll road and they are talking about poverty.

The I-4/408 interchange has been talked about since at least 2000, maybe before.

When the East-West Expressway was first built, there was not enough traffic then to justify building a more elaborate interchange. Plus the money wasn't there. Also, there used to be a toll booth at that interchange, which is why they used the dual "trumpet" design.

This is the worst proposal I've heard of.....there's got to be a better way. Maybe we need a "big dig" here in orlando, just bury I-4 under it's current location and run the commuter rail on the surface level. I know it sounds crazy but the current reality is just as insane, so I'm just as delusional as the legislator....maybe a little less. :wacko:

This is pretty much a big waist of money that won't even solve traffic congestion, along I-4. The main problem with I-4 is its basically the only major North-South route, to get through town. Adding lanes won't solve the problem, the answer is adding parallel N-S routes through town, commuter rail, and improving existing secondary routes, to diffuse traffic, by presenting commuters with decent alternatives.

A good idea would be to think of ways to convert SR436 (Semoran Blvd) into a freeway from Hwy 441 in Apopka down to the Beeline. John Yng Pkwy is another good possibility. The idea is to get a free bypass around downtown Orlando, because no one is using the Greenway. Or maybe FDOT could post signs along I-4 in Sanford & Kissimmee promoting the Greenway as a bypass around all the traffic. Either way, SOMETHING needs to be done.

A good idea would be to think of ways to convert SR436 (Semoran Blvd) into a freeway from Hwy 441 in Apopka down to the Beeline. John Yng Pkwy is another good possibility. The idea is to get a free bypass around downtown Orlando, because no one is using the Greenway. Or maybe FDOT could post signs along I-4 in Sanford & Kissimmee promoting the Greenway as a bypass around all the traffic. Either way, SOMETHING needs to be done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

FDOT does promote the 417 as a way around the congestion. There's a billboard up by the Seminole Town Mall saying that almost verbatim, and still it's empty.

Has anyone ever tried 417 around Oralndo,  I don't know what the actual mileage difference is but it feels like a major detour.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I live on 417, and the only times I take 417 all the way south to I-4 is when I'm going to Disney or Tampa around rush hour. Otherwise, I always take 417 to 408 to I-4, as that way is a lot more direct.

417 was intended as a belt, but it's only ever going to be used for local traffic (and some airport traffic) as far as I can tell.

417 goes to far out of the way to make it a decent alternative to I-4. The fact that its a toll road, with a limited amount of E-W connecter roads, doesn't help either. Currently, you'll get through town faster, driving on a congested I-4 than you will paying about $10 dollars in tolls, to drive 40 miles out of the way, on the Greeneway.

I used to live in DeBary (exit 108 off I-4) and I work right next to Sea world (exit 72 off I-4).

I used to take 417 every day to avoid the backup on I-4 (really bad before the new 3 lane St. John's River Bride was opened) - and it took me exactly 1 hour to get from point A to point B (and both were literally 1 minute off the freeway). I-4 would take anywhere from 45 to 75 minutes (sometimes over 90 minutes pre-bridge). I got sick of being late and just stopped gambling on I-4.

Anyways - that ride was MUCH longer distance wise 52 miles vs. 36 miles but reliable - but it was a total detour and cost me about $7 per day in tolls... But the extra sleep I got was worth it! :lol:

BTW - the billboard in Sanford advertising the 417 says "Bypass Clogged Arteries" and something like "Travel the 417"....

Thank god I live downtown now (though it can still take me 30 minutes to drive 10 miles (exit 72 to exit 82c) on I-4 during PM rush hour)... :cry:

I-4 just plain sucks. :angry:

The separate toll lanes are about the dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think these are a fantastic idea! Those of us with E Pass dont even know we're paying. Rather then having to slow for cash payers....

I think these are a fantastic idea!  Those of us with E Pass dont even know we're paying.  Rather then having to slow for cash payers....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me re-phrase...

Tolls on I-4 are the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. Separate lanes for tolls on I-4 is the second dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

:D

Archived