Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

Nashville seems to be coming into its own as far as new restaurants, bars, breweries and coffee houses go. I thought it would be cool to have a thread devoted to those new endeavors on the board.

Please post articles and information related to those here. I love eating out and trying new places and I don’t always hear about everything. There are so many new and exciting neighborhoods in Nashville with unique and not so unique places.

So to start lets try and get this thread caught up by listing all the new places that have opened in the last month or so and all the new places that are planed and under construction.

I know of a few off the bat.

Bobby’s dairy Dip on 4th downtown

Wine Bar in Sylvan Park planned

Nona’s Pizzeria in Sylvan Park

Help me out guys.

I've got to ask about this "brewery district", because when I left town, Yazoo had just moved and they were still the only taproom in town. How is the Jackalope beer? Do they have a tap room? What are the other places like? Is that stretch a little more walkable than it used to be?

I've heard a lot about the beer garden in East Nashville, but I have a hard time imagining it in the sweltering summer heat.

Going to have to check out a few of these spots when I visit in a few weeks.

Oh, also, are there any new "must try" breakfast places in town. "New" meaning within the last 3 years.

Jackalope is good. Their ThunderAnn is pretty awesome if you're into a hoppy/florally beer. Pretty easy to drink in the summer. Their Rye is killer. But they are still small batch (compared especially to Yazoo), so you get some changes from batch to batch. Fat Bottom in East Nashville will get there. Their signature ginger beer, IMHO, sucks. But they have a wicked black IPA.

Jackalope is good. Their ThunderAnn is pretty awesome if you're into a hoppy/florally beer. Pretty easy to drink in the summer. Their Rye is killer. But they are still small batch (compared especially to Yazoo), so you get some changes from batch to batch. Fat Bottom in East Nashville will get there. Their signature ginger beer, IMHO, sucks. But they have a wicked black IPA.

I'm gonna have to get up to Nashville to try Fat Bottom soon. A friend of mine said the IPA was on point.

I've got to ask about this "brewery district", because when I left town, Yazoo had just moved and they were still the only taproom in town. How is the Jackalope beer? Do they have a tap room? What are the other places like? Is that stretch a little more walkable than it used to be?

I've heard a lot about the beer garden in East Nashville, but I have a hard time imagining it in the sweltering summer heat.

Oh, also, are there any new "must try" breakfast places in town. "New" meaning within the last 3 years.

That's "The Pharmacy" in E. Nashville, right?

And how many breweries exist now in that section along Division Street?

The Pharmacy is pretty shady (as in, trees and awnings), so even in the summer it's a nice place for a beer. I'm not entirely sold on the place yet, but I don't have any complaints either.

As for more breweries...YES! Nashville has a great potential to become the next big beer town, and having a brewery district where beer lovers could easily park (or take transit) to a particular point and then walk to several would be great. I'd love to see two regional craft breweries in the gulch, and two or three microbreweries. Enough to not overload the carrying capacity, but enough to give it a specific flair. In addition to just providing good tourist fodder (beer geek tourists are great to have in a city) and good local watering holes, they provide actual jobs (delivery drivers, bartenders, brewers, office staff, etc.), and they provide an actual, exportable product that draw attention to the source.

And how many breweries exist now in that section along Division Street?

Yazoo is the only one on Division, but Jackalope is just a couple blocks away on 8th.

Perhaps if things get rolling, someone can convince Blackstone to move their operations to that area (and open up their spot on West End to higher density development). Get another decent sized brewery to open up there...and perhaps a couple of brew pubs and craft beer-oriented restaurants, and it really could become a cool attraction.

I don't see that becoming a real high density area with lots of tall buildings...at least not right now (yes, it's adjacent to the Market Street stuff, and there's a modest hotel proposal there -- but I think most of the bigger stuff will end up being on 11th/12th)...but perhaps it can become a nice pedestrian friendly restaurant district. And it would be easy to loop the Music City Circuit route down 8th (instead of taking Broadway) to Division, then cutting over to 12th.

What about Big River Brewery. Do they also brew their own beers on site (Broadway/Second)? I know that they are sort of a chain, but I didn't know if they actually brewed their own stuff there.

Also, where is Corsair located? Maybe in the Marathon village area? In addition to beer, there is supposed to be a gin distillery in Nashville. I haven't gotten to try it yet - and I'm a gin drinker.

Realistically, I don't expect Nashville to have one "brewery district," as cool as that might be, mainly because there are already several scattered throughout town. I think that we will see several mini-entertainment districts that thrive around the various microbreweries.

At the present time, there has to be specific zoning for the breweries, although a bill that is currently making its way through the council by District 7 representative Anthony Davis would allow more breweries in more zoning areas as long as they meet certain criteria. The much-maligned Gallatin Road Specific Plan (SP zoning) ended up being a critical green light for Fat Bottom to go in where it did on Main Street.

I would look for a microbrewery to go in the emerging South Nashville artsy/industrial enclaves if there is not one there already.

• 2 weeks later...

I was lucky enough to have dined at Husk in Charleston in February and wow, what an experience! I'm so pleased that one is coming to Nashville. The cuisine there is truly a perfect culinary representation of what Nashville is today, which is firmly grounded in it's southern roots but refined, modern, cosmopolitan, and melding with other cultures.

• Like 1

...Also, where is Corsair located? Maybe in the Marathon village area? In addition to beer, there is supposed to be a gin distillery in Nashville. I haven't gotten to try it yet - and I'm a gin drinker....

corsair is, indeed in marathon village, in the space the yazoo taproom was at before. i know they make a gin, but i love their whiskeys. the triple smoke is actually what got me into scotch.

eric b

Some new restaurants that have opened recently in East:

http://lockelandtable.com/

http://www.cafefundamental.com/

http://pomodoroeast.com/

My wife ate at Lockeland Table the other day; says it's similar to Eastland Cafe (a favorite of mine). Haven't tried Cafe Fundamental yet, but will soon. Pomodoro East is where Cooper's on Porter use to be. I went there for their Sunday happy hour; good deals and good food.

Cliff

New restaurant coming to Nashville. From NBJ

http://www.bizjourna...ant-coming.html

From the Post

A few new kids in the resaurant scene

http://nashvillepost...a_about_midtown

Cool! I'm really happy that something is going in the former Chadwick's space. That used to be a great restaurant even though it was WAYYY out of my price range. More restaurants for the Rutledge Hill area is a good thing. I wish that the Copper Kettle in the former Sole Mio site were open later - there are killer views from that place. I'm sure that with the increase in residents, that more restaurants and shops will upon in Rutledge Hill, with its convenience to Rolling Mill Hill and, for now, relatively easy on-street parking.

• Like 1