Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

Bluebird Cafe to Close in June, Will Become Jimmy Buffett’s Cheeseburger in Paradise

Is this True??? Say it aint so, Say it aint so....This is the first I have heard of this!

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvillecream/archives/2014/04/01/bluebird-cafe-to-close-in-june-will-become-jimmy-buffetts-cheeseburger-in-paradise

• 1 month later...

man, i just read about that. the site says they're open until 9 on sundays. it's taking everything i have not to cry right about now, lol.

The Frothy Monkey is such a welcome addition for those of us who work shows at TPAC!  I'm sure the audiences will really appreciate having an additional choice nearby, as well.  Let's hope they thrive at this new location!!!

Frothy Monkey on 5th opened yesterday.   Can I get an Amen?!  

You have an amen here. I was by there Friday and noticed they would open the next day.

Grandpa's little Nashville is finally growing up with all of these new additions all over the core and beyond.

I need to get over to the Donelson area as well. I have heard things are starting to pop there as well. How about it Don-n-Donelson, any news?

Donelson has been somewhat slow coming into the 21st century, but it's finally working toward that destination!  There is much potential in the area--it is fairly close to downtown, very convenient to the airport & has Music City Star rail access.  Home prices have remained reasonable and its neighborhoods could explode with additional activity in the coming months/years.

Since this is the food & beverage line of discussion...sadly, Donelson has been lagging behind, but there are bright spots.  Great news of late is that Cupcake Collection has opened in the former Becker's Bakery location and Phat Bites Deli has moved into a much larger location on Lebanon Pike in the refurbished former Two Rivers Ford location (they join Ace Hardware, already open in that building).  Near Phat Bites new home is McNamara's Irish Pub & Restaurant, which has been around for several years and quite popular.  Heck, we even have a yoga studio that includes a wellness center that does vegan and raw food cooking classes!  We could use additional relief from the glut of chain restaurants, along with some entertainment venues & bars.

Although I personally enjoy what I like to call "delightfully dull Donelson," I think that times are changing (for the good) and that Donelson holds great promise.  BRING IT!!!

• Like 1

While the food and entertainment venues are very limited in Donelson, I have to agree with donNDonelson2 that the housing values are really good, with stable desireable homes well kept and priced very reasonably.  I think it will become a much hotter property area as time goes on and other areas prices dirve people to look at closer areas with good value. 

I work in the Donelson area and if I were to try and buy a house now Donelson would be my choice for several reasons.  Location, price, quiet in terms of proximity to Nashville, access to interstates, etc

I occasionally stop by the Publix on my way home and you can definitely tell there is a influx of young/hip people.  Donelson is about to blow up as East Nashville hits capacity.

The only downside is the lack of moderately dense housing blocks and lack of sidewalks.  I see people walking up and down Elm Hill in the grass.  Such a shame.

I work in the Donelson area and if I were to try and buy a house now Donelson would be my choice for several reasons.  Location, price, quiet in terms of proximity to Nashville, access to interstates, etc

I occasionally stop by the Publix on my way home and you can definitely tell there is a influx of young/hip people.  Donelson is about to blow up as East Nashville hits capacity.

The only downside is the lack of moderately dense housing blocks and lack of sidewalks.  I see people walking up and down Elm Hill in the grass.  Such a shame.

The HipDonelson folks are amazing and are the toast of neigbhorhood groups across town.  They are blowing everyone away with their marketing abilities and capacity to connect motivated people to social events and even social service commitments.  The council members have shown openness toward transit-oriented development rezonings and there is community will toward revitalizing the Lebanon Road (particularly the Old Lebanon Road) "main street" feel. 

You are also correct that East Nashville is at or over capacity and will spill over into Donelson (and also Madison).  HipDonelson groups are joining with Rosebank to utilize the pedestrian bridge over the Cumberland to make Shelby Bottoms and Two Rivers parks into one huge community-centered park.  That connection between Donelson and the Rosebank area of East Nashville is more real and present than an outsider might imagine. 

Lack of sidewalks is hardly limited to Donelson.  But at the time when those homes in Donelson were constructed, the communities specifically did not want sidewalks.  So those areas will have a tougher time getting sidewalks without having significant increases in city sidwalk funding, having council members who will jump through hoops to direct those sidewalk funds to their districts, and having an openness to pretty substantial density increases in key areas.  That last part is perhaps the biggest challenge for Donelson. 

Story in the Biz Journal about Maneet Chauhan's place in the Gulch:  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/chopped-star-maneet-chauhan-dishes-on-her-upcoming.html

Pretty interesting concept; a "British pub with Indian Influences."

I can't wait for this.   

Flavors that have tested well include English toffee cayenne, a Chai porter, saffron cardamom and a garam masala spiced brew. The restaurant is planning to partner with a local brewer to make the beer.

Wow, those all sound amazing, especially the garam masala beer!  I never would have thought to put that flavor with beer, but I think it would work!

Wonder who it will be that she is going to partner with to do the brewing?

I'm thinking Jackalope. Probably not Yazoo...they're not quite that adventurous (though I do love them).

They could go after the Yazoo brand.  Jackalope, as a brewery, is not very good.

Yazoo is a good brewery, but I think Jackalope gives them a run for their money. Thunder Ann, Rompo Red, and Bearwalker are all faves of mine.

• Like 1

I walked Union Street tonight on the way to TPAC and noticed that the storefront that was once home to Old Heidelberg restaurant (and before that, Helma's Soup Kettle) is under renovation.  Anyone have any idea if there's a new restaurant going into that space?  There was not a sign in the window that would indicate a future use.  (FYI--around the corner on 5th Ave., Frothy Monkey still had a few customers even at the 9pm closing time!  I really hope they do very well in this location.)

Edited by donNdonelson2

Maneet Chauhan's Vermillion restaurants in both Chicago and New York are really interesting and big hits there.  This should be another in the many new restaurants that are actually becoming a draw for out of towners.  Had dinner late last night in the Gulch at 404 Kitchen and the area was hopping with busy sidewalks, bars open to the street with everyone seemingly packed.  Very exciting times as we grow into a truly urban center.  FUN.

• Like 1