Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

• 2 weeks later...

Texas company planning to jump into Nashville market.

http://nashvillepost...local_expansion

Call my cynical, but I'm not overly thrilled about a bunch of chains coming in to Nashville. Further down in this article it is stated that Huddle House is planning a few locations. I'm not enough of a snob to think that we should ban chains, but honestly, Huddle Houses are fine next to interstate exits in rural areas.

Call my cynical, but I'm not overly thrilled about a bunch of chains coming in to Nashville. Further down in this article it is stated that Huddle House is planning a few locations. I'm not enough of a snob to think that we should ban chains, but honestly, Huddle Houses are fine next to interstate exits in rural areas.

Huddle House moved into Chattanooga about 4 years ago with about a half dozen new buildings, and as far as I know they are all now either empty or housing another restaurant. I mean, how bad does a greasy spoon have to be to go out of business? They're a rip-off of Waffle House, but they're not even the legend that the Waffle is. What's the point?

Edited by MLBrumby

Huddle House moved into Chattanooga about 4 years ago with about a half dozen new buildings, and as far as I know they are all now either empty or housing another restaurant. I mean, how bad does a greasy spoon have to be to go out of business? They're a rip-off of Waffle House, but they're not even the legend that the Waffle is. What's the point?

I've claimed before that Huddle House is the Waffle's poor cousin from the sticks. And that's saying something.

On a similar note, Waffle House would clean up if they opened a 24 hour location near the bars on Division or on 2nd. Mmmm...drunken nomming on Hash Browns All the Way...

• Like 1

On a similar note, Waffle House would clean up if they opened a 24 hour location near the bars on Division or on 2nd. Mmmm...drunken nomming on Hash Browns All the Way...

I never thought of that. Is there NOWHERE to eat late at night in either of those areas? That's a pretty pheonomenal missed opportunity. I know that Cafe CoCo is open late, but that's a pretty good staggering distance from Red Door.

• Like 1

I for one welcome Huddle House. I've always had good experiences with them. They have more on there menu than Waffle House like fries & cheese sticks. They have both Tabasco & Texas Pete! Plus there Vidalia Onion Stake Sauce is awesome. It's not quite the Plalm, but from my extensive research over the years between the hours of 1am-5am I've always found it to be a suitable option. ...well, at least the times I can actually recall!

• Like 1

The Brewery scene is growing, and I'm crossing my fingers it pans out. Coming from the west coast, we're missing out in the beer dept. at the local level. I really dig a good gastro brew pub, and Fat Bottom Brewing (FBB) is getting close. I think FBB is funded pretty well, so there is hope he can make it over the new start up hill.

If you’re ever near Rehoboth Beach, DE, a trip to the Dogfish Head Brewery and Restaurant is highly recommended. They have a great set up, great food and really good beer.

http://www.dogfish.com/restaurant/index.htm

The other kind of restaurant I’d love to see here? Something that spotlights Cuban cooking. It was only after living in Florida did I discover that Cuban’s can cook their ass off. I'd trade a half a dozen Mexican joints for a good Cubano joint. I’ve been to the place off of Harding, and it wasn’t much to speak about unfortunately. I don’t think there are any other Cuban places in or around town.

The Brewery scene is growing, and I'm crossing my fingers it pans out. Coming from the west coast, we're missing out in the beer dept. at the local level. I really dig a good gastro brew pub, and Fat Bottom Brewing (FBB) is getting close. I think FBB is funded pretty well, so there is hope he can make it over the new start up hill.

If you’re ever near Rehoboth Beach, DE, a trip to the Dogfish Head Brewery and Restaurant is highly recommended. They have a great set up, great food and really good beer.
http://www.dogfish.c...urant/index.htm

The other kind of restaurant I’d love to see here? Something that spotlights Cuban cooking. It was only after living in Florida did I discover that Cuban’s can cook their ass off. I'd trade a half a dozen Mexican joints for a good Cubano joint. I’ve been to the place off of Harding, and it wasn’t much to speak about unfortunately. I don’t think there are any other Cuban places in or around town.

I freaking love everything Dogfish Head makes.

One thing about living in Philadelphia is the plethora of amazing local beer (like DFH, Victory, Philadelphia Brewing, and Yards, with dozens of microbreweries and brewpubs). Arguably it has become in the last few years the best beer city in the country. Hopefully one day soon Nashville will be able to give it a run for its money. Yazoo is still my favorite go-too beer for the standards.

Speaking of beer, I was just now very disappointed to discover that no local beers can be found within the airport. The closest thing is Sweetwater 420, which every restaurant/bar seems to have. Nothing against Sweetwater, but I'd much prefer to find something local while waiting on my flight!

EDIT: In case the walls have ears...here's looking at you, Yazoo!

Edited by Nathan_in_PHL

I'm confused about which building this will take up. MAI is in the building across from 12th and Porter and you definitely cannot fit 1,000 people in there. Will Anthem be in the building at Grundy and 11th? 

I'm confused about which building this will take up. MAI is in the building across from 12th and Porter and you definitely cannot fit 1,000 people in there. Will Anthem be in the building at Grundy and 11th? 

Yeah, this one is confusing a little bit.  Just curious, but what about parking for this venue.  The Tennessean lots?  Even if these folks were going to take public transportation, the buses don't run that late at night.  So the 1,000 patrons will all be driving or cabbing.  It also piqued my interest that the venue will have a "dive bar" as well as a place for people to dance and feel "sexy."  I don't necessarily equate those two aesthetics.  (Yes, people in dive bars get drunk and feel "sexy.")  I'm just hoping that this isn't another "after hours" club that gets a lot of people in trouble.  Nashville doesn't seem to be able to handle those too well.

Edited by bwithers1

Mai had a very successful run in that space.  I bet the new music venue performs well.  The article stated that the venue will add a mezzanine, so I don't see a problem holding 1,000 guests.  There's plenty of lot and street parking in the area, plus valet, and I see potential synergy with 12th&Porter.  Plus, don't forget that parcels around this area are being snatched up.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn of a 200-300 unit apartment building going on one of the adjacent parking lots.  If that were to happen, these older warehouse spaces will be even more valuable.

• Like 1