Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

I worked at Harvey's one year and got to know Max who operated the Merry-go-round. He was a German Jew who escaped Germany just before the war. He had a very compelling story.

I remember him, but vaguely. I do remember that he would not put up with nonsense from kids riding the merry go round. He would stop it and throw them off if they were misbehaving.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbowman said:

I remember him, but vaguely. I do remember that he would not put up with nonsense from kids riding the merry go round. He would stop it and throw them off if they were misbehaving.

For the life of me, I can't recall if the merry-go-round was still up and running for the last 10 years of the store's operation (1974-84) and if I ever got to ride it. I was more interested in the toy department and riding the escalators.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rbowman said:

I'm not sure either. It would have been in the 60s when I rode it. I also seen to remember there being monkeys on that floor as well, but it has been a long time and I was just a young fellow then.

I think the monkeys were long-gone by then (probably for health reasons). I thought they initially had them in a basement café.

On 9/28/2016 at 7:01 PM, CityHeart said:

Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown Nashville edition airing this Sunday at 9 p.m. 

http://www.cnn.com/shows/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown

Enjoyed Anthony Bourdain's episode about Nashville last night.   The focus was somewhat unexpected, but refreshing in that he avoided the usual cliches.   I liked that he avoided Lower Broad and didn't even have to explain why (just one shot of a drunk tourist yee-hawing).    Emphasized the exploding restaurant scene (Catbird, Pinewood) while digging in to the local institutions (Dinos, Bolton's, Dandgures).   Good features on up-and-coming artist, Margo Price (saw her at Pilgrimage last weekend) and Third Man Records.   Curious choice of "local" host/tour guide in transplant, Alison Mosshart (The Kills, The Dead Weather), but the end result - a house party at Mosshart's pad with those two bands (and Jack White) playing - encapsulates the energy coming out of the current local music scene.   One point made again and again was that very few of us are "from here".   

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

I did enjoy the show and I thought it was a well done perspective. One thing that bothered me about it was the underlying tone that the transplants "brought the cool" to Nashville. It was even said several times, how Nashville was so sleepy and dull before the "carpetbaggers" came in and brought the creative spirit. 

Maybe I read into it too far, but it just kinda felt a little northern elitist to me. 

Yeah, I felt the same way.  If Nashville weren't exactly the city that it is and always has been, then these people wouldn't have seen a reason to come set up shop there in the first place.  There are a lot of towns and cities where it's cheaper to operate than New York and Seattle.  They came to Nashville for reasons well beyond the simple fact that it is 'cheaper,' and yes, I think they should have driven that point home more.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nashvillwill said:

What bothered me most was, when Bourdain would ask the question "how many of you are actually from Nashville", and one person would bashfully raise their hand, they would all just laugh. Instead of saying "well what's your take on this whole thing", they would all just whoot and say "see". As if the podunk native couldn't possibly have anything worthy to add to such a creative group of people.  I see this attitude pretty often, and it's aggravating. 

Haha...i hear what you're saying, but I'm not sure it was meant to be taken like that really...

http://nashville.eater.com/2016/10/5/13177536/peg-leg-porker-expansion-gulch-nashville

"Pitmaster Carey Bringle appears ready to move Peg Leg Porker into its second phase, as he has now revealed his long-in-the-works plans for the Gulch barbecue destination.

According to the Nashville Business Journal, those plans, totaling approximately $1 million in new construction, will include a second level that mirrors the first floor dining room and will include at least 160 seats, as well as a commissary kitchen on the ground floor that would allow them to get in to the private dining game.

In discussing the decision to expand the original instead of build new outposts, Bringle says that they “want there to be one Peg Leg Porker. ... Our value is that we’re a destination[.] My peers are partnering with large restaurant groups. Any partners that I had, I’ve bought out. If I don’t have to take on investors, then I won’t.”

No word yet on how soon the new additions might be completed, so check back for more updates."

• Like 2

8 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I hope I don't offend anyone here, but Peg Leg is the best BBQ place in town, IMHO. I have tried Edleys, Martins, Jim & Nicks, Jacks, and a few others.

I do realize it is a matter of taste, but the atmosphere is cool too. I have seen some very eclectic crowds in there as well.

I'm offended, because obviously it's Applebee's that has the BBQ in town! :lol:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

I'm offended, because obviously it's Applebee's that has the BBQ in town! :lol:

I think you need to stroll over to Famous Dave's and think about what you said!!!

***we are willing to trade Applebee's for Gino's East!! Hahaha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LA_TN said:

I think you need to stroll over to Famous Dave's and think about what you said!!!

***we are willing to trade Applebee's for Gino's East!! Hahaha

Counter Offer:  You can have Gino's East, if you also take all of our Applebee's!!  haha :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...