Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

• 1 month later...

"Eating Nashville, the year in review"

636149119301970570-barcelona1.jpg

Jim Meyers's summary of the year in restaurants. Features a list of his favorite new places from 2016 and most anticipated openings of 2017.

Favorites:

• Bastion: Josh Habiger's imagined adult utopia of a grown-up bar and a restaurant built around love of food, cooking and service. 
  • TKO: Pushed the boundary of what "authentic" means when it comes to cross-cultural cooking, but with rock-solid Chinese food in a business model without tipping. The revolution may have started.
  • Old Glory: In a city short on jaw-dropping spaces, a bar that reclaimed industrial cool with style, taste and post-apocalyptic sex appeal. .
  • Nicky's Coal Fired: No, not New York, but Nashville and with a new take on old heat with pizzas and pastas from a deft touch.
  • Bajo Sexto: Not every taco should cost $1.50, and for the first time the full panoply of Mexican food comes alive.

Most Anticipated

• Krajeck & Co.: I don't want to say that whatever Rolf & Daughters chef Philip Krajeck does next has to be good, but I just kind of trust that it will. I think, even with vague descriptions, he'll be a pied piper as he jumps across the Cumberland to the east side.
  • Kuchnia & Keller: Aaron Clemins' long tenure at City House has earned him the full weight of Tandy Wilson's confidence, and a spot around the corner to explore his Polish and German heritage. Dzięki. Danke. Thanks.
  • Henrietta Red: Thank goodness Nashville native Julia Sullivan came home to roost. I can't wait to step into her dream. She and partner Allie Poindexter's new take on a neighborhood bistro will continue to make Germantown one of the city's best destinations.
  • Tànsuŏ: It a has been the lament of the ages. "We have no good Chinese food!" Two words: Chris Cheung. Two more: Maneet Chauhan. OK, but this is it: Spectacular space. It all hinges on Chef Cheung's ability to deliver superlative food, but all the pieces are finally in place.
  • Pastaria: Chefs have been sniffing around and marking territory, but I sense Gerard Craft of Pastaria is genuinely in love with our city. Commuting from St. Louis will hopefully have him here enough to be fully engaged. And the man can flat-out cook.
  • Greko: For years, Greeks have come to our shores to cook. In the absence of a large Greek community, they tend to open American grilles, along with hot dog, barbecue and chili joints. The Darsinos family (Darfons, Southside Grill, Gondola House) is no exception, but finally they are breaking back to the past and Greko will finally deliver the real taste of Athens, not just the Athens of the South. 
  • Austin and Jason's Big Adventure: More on this very, very soon, but Austin Ray and Jason Brumm's nascent partnership should bring great things.
  • Vivek Surti: C'mon, man. Quit popping up with fantastic meals all over town and popping off champagne bottles and just open up a restaurant.

Full Article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/2016/12/23/jim-myers-eating-nashville-year-review/95670120/

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Canuck87 said:

"Eating Nashville, the year in review"

636149119301970570-barcelona1.jpg

Jim Meyers's summary of the year in restaurants. Features a list of his favorite new places from 2016 and most anticipated openings of 2017.

Favorites:

• Bastion: Josh Habiger's imagined adult utopia of a grown-up bar and a restaurant built around love of food, cooking and service. 
  • TKO: Pushed the boundary of what "authentic" means when it comes to cross-cultural cooking, but with rock-solid Chinese food in a business model without tipping. The revolution may have started.
  • Old Glory: In a city short on jaw-dropping spaces, a bar that reclaimed industrial cool with style, taste and post-apocalyptic sex appeal. .
  • Nicky's Coal Fired: No, not New York, but Nashville and with a new take on old heat with pizzas and pastas from a deft touch.
  • Bajo Sexto: Not every taco should cost $1.50, and for the first time the full panoply of Mexican food comes alive.

Most Anticipated

• Krajeck & Co.: I don't want to say that whatever Rolf & Daughters chef Philip Krajeck does next has to be good, but I just kind of trust that it will. I think, even with vague descriptions, he'll be a pied piper as he jumps across the Cumberland to the east side.
  • Kuchnia & Keller: Aaron Clemins' long tenure at City House has earned him the full weight of Tandy Wilson's confidence, and a spot around the corner to explore his Polish and German heritage. Dzięki. Danke. Thanks.
  • Henrietta Red: Thank goodness Nashville native Julia Sullivan came home to roost. I can't wait to step into her dream. She and partner Allie Poindexter's new take on a neighborhood bistro will continue to make Germantown one of the city's best destinations.
  • Tànsuŏ: It a has been the lament of the ages. "We have no good Chinese food!" Two words: Chris Cheung. Two more: Maneet Chauhan. OK, but this is it: Spectacular space. It all hinges on Chef Cheung's ability to deliver superlative food, but all the pieces are finally in place.
  • Pastaria: Chefs have been sniffing around and marking territory, but I sense Gerard Craft of Pastaria is genuinely in love with our city. Commuting from St. Louis will hopefully have him here enough to be fully engaged. And the man can flat-out cook.
  • Greko: For years, Greeks have come to our shores to cook. In the absence of a large Greek community, they tend to open American grilles, along with hot dog, barbecue and chili joints. The Darsinos family (Darfons, Southside Grill, Gondola House) is no exception, but finally they are breaking back to the past and Greko will finally deliver the real taste of Athens, not just the Athens of the South. 
  • Austin and Jason's Big Adventure: More on this very, very soon, but Austin Ray and Jason Brumm's nascent partnership should bring great things.
  • Vivek Surti: C'mon, man. Quit popping up with fantastic meals all over town and popping off champagne bottles and just open up a restaurant.

Full Article: http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/2016/12/23/jim-myers-eating-nashville-year-review/95670120/

Jim Meyers does a great job and I would echo and value his assessments overall.  Really anxious to see if Tansuo in the North Gulch finally brings a quality Chinese experience, instead of the Acme Chinese we have all over town, convinced there is one commisary that supplies all of the Chinese here. With Maneet Chauhan involved, I'm very optimistic, love Chauhan's Indian. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, titanhog said:

Have never understood the hype on Whataburger or In&Out.  Just put a drive thru window at 5 Guys and I'll be happy! :wub:

I TOTALLY agree.  I've never been to Whataburger, but In & Out is the most overhyped nonsense I've ever experienced in the culinary world.  I honestly don't get it, and more or less just chalk it up to the SoCal bubble, where everything they have is 'so much better' than everywhere else, even though they've only ever left socal twice in their life and have no basis for that opinion.  lol

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BnaBreaker said:

I TOTALLY agree.  I've never been to Whataburger, but In & Out is the most overhyped nonsense I've ever experienced in the culinary world.  I honestly don't get it, and more or less just chalk it up to the SoCal bubble, where everything they have is 'so much better' than everywhere else, even though they've only ever left socal twice in their life and have no basis for that opinion.  lol

To me, the few times I've eaten at both, they reminded me of Sonic on steroids.  Slightly better than Sonic...but not by a lot.  To be fair, though, I've not tried everything at Whataburger nor In&Out to give them either a fair shake.  Maybe there is something I would like if I had a chance to try more of their menu.

As someone else mentioned...I'd rather have a Braums!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nashtitans said:

Where do y'all think they should put a Whataburger if it comes here

Whataburger folks were here in 2015 scouting Mt. Juliet; I would guess they'll most likely roll out a few stores across the area as the Linked In job posting was for an area manager.

I agree with Titanhog ^^...Whataburger's #1 is much like Sonic's burger, but for me...much, much better.

Can't wait.

Edited by tragenvol
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, titanhog said:

Wait!  They have spicy ketchup?!  You've changed my mind. :P

And it's brought to you on a tray with your choice of regular or spicy.

9 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

YES!

IMG_2285.JPG

With only two remaining bottles of this at home; it's time to lay a guilt trip upon my sister to bring more.

This is the best news out of Texas since the Oilers made the move official.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PruneTracy said:

Yawn. Wake me when we get a place that serves fry sauce.

Agreed.  But we did have our chance at fry sauce when Apollo Burgers out of Salt Lake opened their first location outside of Utah in Hendersonville a couple of years ago.  They had big plans for the Nashville area, hoping to have something like 5 locations.  I think it maybe lasted a year before they gave up and closed shop.  In Utah, even McDonald's has fry sauce.  While it's mostly just ketchup and mayo mixed together, "real" fry sauce (like what they have in Belgium, andalouse sauce) has a bit of a kick to it with a pinch of paprika or other pepper.  Anyway, I'm with you.  When I order fries at fast food joints, especially Five Guys, I always ask for a side of mayo so I can make my own fry sauce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

In Canada, there are still people who put vinegar on their fries.  They even have vinegar packets in some of the fast food restaurants.

I still do this when the option is available.
Penn Station Subs is a place that comes to mind that offers it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmtunafish said:

Agreed.  But we did have our chance at fry sauce when Apollo Burgers out of Salt Lake opened their first location outside of Utah in Hendersonville a couple of years ago.  They had big plans for the Nashville area, hoping to have something like 5 locations.  I think it maybe lasted a year before they gave up and closed shop.  In Utah, even McDonald's has fry sauce.  While it's mostly just ketchup and mayo mixed together, "real" fry sauce (like what they have in Belgium, andalouse sauce) has a bit of a kick to it with a pinch of paprika or other pepper.  Anyway, I'm with you.  When I order fries at fast food joints, especially Five Guys, I always ask for a side of mayo so I can make my own fry sauce.

We ate at the Apollo in H'ville once....it really wasn't very good. Maybe it was a one off...but we just never went back.