Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, Edgefield D said:

We ate at the Apollo in H'ville once....it really wasn't very good. Maybe it was a one off...but we just never went back.

Oh I was very disappointed in it, too.  I loved Apollo Burgers when I lived in Utah, but the one in Hendersonville was awful.  The ones in Utah are all just typical higher-end fast food type places with awesome burgers, shakes, fries (with fry sauce!), gyros, and baklava.  The one in Hendersonville tried to be more hip/upscale/expensive and just disappointed me in many ways.  But at least it had fry sauce!

Great to have Party Fowl opening up a second location, coming soon to Donelson! New location goes into a 13,000 square foot space that was Johnson's Discount Furniture, near the Donelson Plaza. Our neighborhood has been slow to see growth in the dining scene, although homes in the area have been a hot commodity in the last few years. Good times are ahead for our part of town!

http://www.tennessean.com/story/life/food/2017/02/22/exclusive-party-fowl-open-second-hot-chicken-joint/98242082/

Edited by donNdonelson2
additional info
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Morales, owner of TomKats and The Southern, among other concepts in Nashville, is renovating the old Woolworths on 5th Avenue (Avenue of the Arts).  It will have elements that pay homage to the early civil rights sit-ins that advanced desegregation efforts in Tennessee.  I've been to many events catered by Morales, and he's well known by celebrities around the world. This will be a success. He is also on tap for a new restaurant in the 5th and Broad complex at the old CC site.  

From the Tennessean:  Tom Morales revealed details Wednesday for Woolworth on 5th, the latest in the restaurateur’s growing portfolio and a preservation project he said will restore the lunch counter that was the site of several sit-ins during the 1960s.

Woolworth on Fifth by Tom Morales... http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/03/08/tom-morales-new-restaurant-pays-homage-civil-rights-history-nashville/98849148/

The "Closed" sign goes up as soon as the black colleges

Nashville restaurateur Tom Morales poses for a portrait

• Like 4

13 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

Tom Morales, owner of TomKats and The Southern, among other concepts in Nashville, is renovating the old Woolworths on 5th Avenue (Avenue of the Arts).  It will have elements that pay homage to the early civil rights sit-ins that advanced desegregation efforts in Tennessee.  I've been to many events catered by Morales, and he's well known by celebrities around the world. This will be a success. He is also on tap for a new restaurant in the 5th and Broad complex at the old CC site.  

From the Tennessean:  Tom Morales revealed details Wednesday for Woolworth on 5th, the latest in the restaurateur’s growing portfolio and a preservation project he said will restore the lunch counter that was the site of several sit-ins during the 1960s.

Woolworth on Fifth by Tom Morales... http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2017/03/08/tom-morales-new-restaurant-pays-homage-civil-rights-history-nashville/98849148/

The "Closed" sign goes up as soon as the black colleges

Nashville restaurateur Tom Morales poses for a portrait

This is a very exciting project to me, but where will people park?  There is no parking in front sans a area to valet, there is no parking behind the alley, will they have to use the new 505/MDHA garage?  Parking downtown is becoming ownerous, we will need another parking garage or two asap, the question is where to put them?

• Like 1

I think the idea behind 505 is to expand parking capacity for that whole area of downtown. As you noted, parking spots have been reduced dramatically now that the courthouse site has been taken out of the mix.  There is also a parking lot behind the block where this restaurant is going. I don't know if it is permit only, but would be surprised. Also, seems like I remember that Nashville City Center garage expansion was going to have public spots. Can the folks here who work in NCC confirm?  

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

There's a surface lot immediately behind it that faces Church Street, as well as the underground garage at Nashville City Center next to that. Actually, there are at least 4 more garages within 2 blocks. Heaven forbid people might have to actually WALK a few hundred feet.  

49 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Lack of parking or valet space has not kept the nearby Puckett's restaurant from being packed every day & night! (Truth is, of course, there usually ARE parking spaces available, just not right at the door of the place you wish to visit.) WALK--it's good for you!

Agreed! Quit complaining and walk a few blocks!! It is hilarious to hear people complain about parking downtown. There is PLENTY of parking in Nashville, if you know how to find it. And if you can't find it, or don't want to, just take an Uber.... It's really not that complicated.

Now let's get back to 'food and beverage.'

Edited by NashvilleObserver
  • Like 4

Wow! Not everyone can walk. It's a legit question. I hike on average more than 20 miles each week, and around Chattanooga that's not flat pavement walking. That said, I often take friends, family and guests out to dinner, and around here that means downtown in many cases. I have an aunt who is 78 years old and uses a cane from a broken femur three years ago, and my parents are nearly 70. My mother is blind. They often come up to Chat. for overnights or day visits and we'll usually get a meal together. Not by accident, my mother's favorite place to eat here is Clyde's on Main, where we can park by the backdoor. I could walk with them and we often take postprandial walks, but it's always slowly and with my mother holding onto my (or another family member's) arm. But parking is always an issue when we consider where to eat. When I'm in Nashville, I often meet/take business associates to restaurants, and sometimes they have a medical condition or are older and require proximity to parking. To the point of parking in Nashville (or any city trying to lure ppl from the 'burbs), you better have abundant parking or your businesses will suffer. Not everyone is a tourist or takes Uber. I'm sure that was the impetus behind the MDHA garage beside 505CST. When I drive, I will usually drop off my passengers at the door and walk the few blocks from the parking lot; always enjoy a vigorous walk, even in a suit and tie. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 4

Love that Hattie B's is headed for Melrose, but hate to hear that the whole Germantown development that they were eyeing has now fallen apart.  I was actually just about to ask if anyone had heard any news on that project, but now I know.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:50 AM, wreynol4 said:

This is a very exciting project to me, but where will people park?  There is no parking in front sans a area to valet, there is no parking behind the alley, will they have to use the new 505/MDHA garage?  Parking downtown is becoming ownerous, we will need another parking garage or two asap, the question is where to put them?

It almost seems that someone read my post from last September, of my mother's hometown.

On 9/14/2016 at 10:34 AM, rookzie said:

I always have wished that Nashville would have done to that site, the same as what Greensboro (NC) ended up transforming its own Woolworth store into, on South Elm.  I recall frequently shopping in both stores, when I was a nine year old (and later during the early 1960s), as back then our parents "knew'" that we likely would be safe, as long as we stayed "in line".

Until about 23 years ago, I owned four of those chrome-plated steel-back counter stools, on cast seat base and porcelain-dipped cast-iron pedestals.  Even now If I had them, I'd probably get rid of them.

International Civil Rights Center & Museum
https://www.sitinmovement.org/

International Civil Rights Museum Greensboro, So-Elm St._01.jpg

• Like 2