Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

• 5 months later...

Yeah, I realize it's only Taco Bell, but ...

According to Food & Wine, the chain is about to build up to 350 of its new cantina-style restaurants in several urban areas. The story doesn't mention Nashville, but the accompanying video does say Nashville is one of the target markets. The cantinas serve a variety of liquor and have a decor to fit the local market, unlike the usual Taco Bell.

It was mentioned on here a few weeks ago that the Taco Bell on West End will be torn down in the next few months and replaced by a hotel, so it stands to reason that one of these would go near Vanderbilt,  potentially in the Gulch and/or maybe SoBro. I could see these things being incredibly popular with college students and tourists.

Taco Bell Is Ditching Drive-Thrus And Adding Booze

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

I am thrilled with the explosion of the culinary scene in Nashville, but I dont see how it can support all of these dynamic new restaurants.  There are only so many diners to go around.  The restaurant industry is naturally volatile as it as, so couple that with what I have to imagine is an over-saturation, and it is going to result in a lot of closures.  It was announced today for example that Cochon Butcher in Germantown, which is a phenomenal place, is already closing up shop after only a year or so in business.  

13 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I am thrilled with the explosion of the culinary scene in Nashville, but I dont see how it can support all of these dynamic new restaurants.  There are only so many diners to go around.  The restaurant industry is naturally volatile as it as, so couple that with what I have to imagine is an over-saturation, and it is going to result in a lot of closures.  It was announced today for example that Cochon Butcher in Germantown, which is a phenomenal place, is already closing up shop after only a year or so in business.  

I hadn't heard that Cochon is closing? I'm surprised by that. I haven't seen anything posted about it. 

2 hours ago, Neigeville2 said:

As a vegetarian, I'm not too choked up about it.  It's a meat restaurant.

Urban restaurants have a pretty short shelf life, but new ones always seem to pop up.  It's a tough business.

My wife is a vegan (I'm totally not). We're still mourning the closing of Khans, in east Nashville. 

Is there a particular kind or style of restaurant that seems to close more than others? I know two burger places just closed in Nations, but I'm not much of a foodie so I don't really keep up with all the openings and closings. 

13 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

Is there a particular kind or style of restaurant that seems to close more than others? I know two burger places just closed in Nations, but I'm not much of a foodie so I don't really keep up with all the openings and closings. 

Seems to me that it's places that don't live up to the hype they create about themselves. There's nothing worse than having high expectations for a place and being totally let down. That's how I feel about Henley in the Aertson; a complete disaster of a restaurant that did so many press releases and interviews with the chefs. 

On the other hand there are restaurants that you don't even know exist (until you read about them closing) because they do not advertise. Granted, many of these are underwhelming anyway. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 8:45 AM, Flatrock said:

From Eater Nashville (and all I've got to say is - it's about freakin time...) :

"One of New York City’s Finest Delis Is Headed to Nashville’s Fairlane Hotel"

https://nashville.eater.com/2017/12/7/16746234/mile-end-deli-fairlane-hotel-nashville

This makes me so happy!  I mean giddy as a schoolboy.  When I'm in Montreal my first stop is Schwartz's for their smoked meat.  And before leaving Montreal I stop at La Banquise for some poutine.  I will definitely, absolutely go to Mile End when it opens in Nashville.  I am amazed how Nashville's food scene is expanding.  I think you guys should have one of your monthly UP meet-ups at Mile End after the crowds have thinned (if they do).  I don't think Mile End could possibly duplicate Montreal's bagels, unfortunately, as they have to be baked over wood-burning flames.

Montreal smoked meat (viande fumée) sandwich:

Image result for montreal smoked meat schwartz

Poutine at La Banquise (The "T-Rex" version for those who want an instant heart attack):

Image result for t rex poutine la banquise

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...