Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

An article from the Post about a few restaurant changes in the works.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2012/12/25/the_food_biz_midtown_reinvention

I'm really sad to see Mambu close.  It was like having the epitome of East Nashville funkiness (with East Nashville roots) in the midst of a lot of bland parking lots in chain-heavy Midtown.  And I know that the construction of Hutton Hotel's monstrous parking garage really hurt a lot of those restaurants behind it on Hayes, including Davinci's Pizza that was replaced by Vito's, which now apparently has also closed.  The garage construction created a lot of noise and dust which killed their outdoor lunch rush. 

I am really happy that Mambu's owner will reopen the restaurant with a slightly different concept.  It will be great to continue the use of those 1880s Victorian houses as restaurant/bar/lounge spaces.  Maybe someone will put something in the DaVinci's/Vito's space, too. 

Edited by bwithers1

Interesting article about 2 microbreweries that are set to open.  One at Ewing and Fogg Street (the term 'brewery row' is bandied about in this article), the other in the Melrose Area on Franklin Pike south of Craighead (which again offsets the idea that all/most breweries are in any one part of town). http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/1/6/the_food_biz_extra_suds

The latter is apparently reusing a space that had been a dry cleaners.

Edited by bwithers1

Interesting article about 2 microbreweries that are set to open.  One at Ewing and Fogg Street (the term 'brewery row' is bandied about in this article), the other in the Melrose Area on Franklin Pike south of Craighead (which again offsets the idea that all/most breweries are in any one part of town). http://nashvillepost.com/news/2013/1/6/the_food_biz_extra_suds

The latter is apparently reusing a space that had been a dry cleaners.

Yeah, I don't think all the breweries would locate in one area...not that I would want that, either.

As for "Brewery Row" (I like district better, although row could be accurate if most are on one street/corridor), I think the idea of having more than a handful in one area would make the description apt. I think from a marketing/tourism perspective, it could be a good thing.

In the end, I'm just happy that microbrewing/craft beer seems to be taking off here. It's a wonderful compliment to our foodie scene.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Nashville's culinary scene just continues to get more and more respectable.  This time, a critically acclaimed Italian restaurant called Sardinia Enoteca has opened in Elliston Place right next to the future Park Central apartment building at 210 25th Avenue.  The original is in South Beach in Miami, and this is the second.

http://www.sardinia-ristorante.com/

Edited by BnaBreaker

Nashville's culinary scene just continues to get more and more respectable.  This time, a critically acclaimed Italian restaurant called Sardinia Enoteca has opened in Elliston Place right next to the future Park Central apartment building at 210 25th Avenue.  The original is in South Beach in Miami, and this is the second.

http://www.sardinia-ristorante.com/

Nashville has a couple of OK Italian places, but that's a variety we're definitely lacking in (in terms of top level quality). I definitely welcome this, and I hope they are successful.

Nashville has a couple of OK Italian places, but that's a variety we're definitely lacking in (in terms of top level quality). I definitely welcome this, and I hope they are successful.

I'm totally in agreement with you there.  Nashville has some fantastic high quality examples of a wide variety of cuisines (Indian, Jamaican, Korean etc.) but you're right that truly high quality, authentic Italian food, is absent from the food scene, as far as I can tell.  This place is supposed to be truly the real deal, and apparently goes to great pains with their wine selection as well.

Give City House a try. It's not what you'd call a pure Italian restaurant in the sense that the chef, Tandy Wilson, blends Southern ingredients like catfish with Italian techniques and recipes, but it's got some truly marvelous pork/seafood/pasta dishes that are on par with anything I've had in northern Italy. The pizzas are done in a classic Neapolitan style with a wood-burning oven and the wine list is well-curated.

Edited by Will

• 1 month later...

We'll see.  I'm not sure that the area can support another high end bar - this is just a couple of blocks from the Patterson House and the Tavern.  I wish them well as the owners of the space have been incredibly patient and have turned down tenants whom they feel don't match the Adelicia.  But, it is a difficult space and reported to be expensive.  The previous tenants relied too much on trying to draw the Belle Meade crowd, and thus lost the Adelicia neighborhood.  If I had my druthers, I would put a Boston Market or Green Hill's Table 3.