Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

Lol. City Winery chose this location for future potential. Envisioned the surrounding area developing in the next 5-10, and the possibility the Mission will move at some point. They could have a great piece of land with great outdoor dining/wining potential in the long run...

Not sure about the renderings. Looks kind of 'plasticy' to me. Hope it ends up looking first class.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if already posted... the link from Larry Olmsted's latest trip to Nashville, as featured in Forbes a little over a month ago.  A side trip to Gray's on Main in Franklin is included...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2014/01/24/music-city-usa-keeps-getting-better-whats-new-in-nashville/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2013/11/01/the-cocktail-revolutions-next-stop-franklin-tn/

At last night's Council meeting, the Council passed a memorializing resolution asking the state legislature not to pass enabling legislation that would make it possible for Metro to pass an ordinance allowing "to-go" cups of alcohol on Lower Broad, and presumably other places.  This was an interesting combination of CM Emily Evans, who is a fiscal conservative but a social liberal, with CM Robert Duvall, who is both a fiscal and a social conservative.  CM Robert Duvall is also a State Rep and promised to lobby his counterparts in the House to oppose this legislation at the state level. 

I have to agree that LowerBroad is basically an alcohol-fueled mess as it is at night.  Statistically speaking, 2nd/Broadway is one of the most dangerous intersections in all of Davidson County in terms of aggaravated assaults and such.  You are much more likely to find yourself in a dangerous situation at 2nd/Broadway after about 2:00 AM than anywhere in the "high crime" areas. 

So I have to agree that Lower Broad does not need to turn in to Beale Street or Bourbon Street.  I think that we have a pretty good thing going already, but don't need it to get out of hand with drunks traipsing about with "sippy cups." 

At last night's Council meeting, the Council passed a memorializing resolution asking the state legislature not to pass enabling legislation that would make it possible for Metro to pass an ordinance allowing "to-go" cups of alcohol on Lower Broad, and presumably other places.  This was an interesting combination of CM Emily Evans, who is a fiscal conservative but a social liberal, with CM Robert Duvall, who is both a fiscal and a social conservative.  CM Robert Duvall is also a State Rep and promised to lobby his counterparts in the House to oppose this legislation at the state level.

One correction. Duvall isn't a State Rep. He ran in my district against incumbent Dem Sherry Jones but lost.

One correction. Duvall isn't a State Rep. He ran in my district against incumbent Dem Sherry Jones but lost.

Thanks for the clarification.  I thought that he had won.  Perhaps he still has influence with the State Legislature in some way? 

To be honest, I was caught off guard by this one.  I'm not even sure where it came from so suddently.  CM Evans had to request to suspend the Council rules to allow debate on this resolution because Metro did not have adequate time to advertise the resolution to place it on the agenda for last Tuesday's meeting.  Similarly, CM Erica Gilmore, whose district includes Lower Broadway and the rest of downtown, stated that she had not yet had time to hear from her business constituents on this measure, although apparently the CVB or one of those bodies was seeking the enabling legislation at the State level.  CM Evans had a good line, which was "just because it is enabling legislation does not make it good legislation."

I am in general agreement with the Council's vote, but I am not sure what brought this up so quickly as to generate a big rush.  If someone on this board knows, please educate me.

Barista Parlor in East Nashville named one of America's top 25 coffee shops by Epicurean Magazine.  http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/02/barista-parlor-named-a-top-25-coffee.html

Also the most expensive! $4.50 for a coffee? Ridiculous! I can go to the Nashville Biscuit House and for $4.50 get all the coffee I want with a stack of pancakes!

Also the most expensive! $4.50 for a coffee? Ridiculous! I can go to the Nashville Biscuit House and for $4.50 get all the coffee I want with a stack of pancakes!

I walked into Barista Parlor many months ago to check it out. I'm sure the place makes a fine cup of Joe (albeit overpriced from what I hear), but I thought the place was just trying to reach such a high level of hipness that I couldn't feel very good about being in there. They've blurred the line between coffee shop and hipster monument. 

The new 5 Points Cocina will open tomorrow at lunch time.
They had a friends and family event last night and the space looks really nice.
This is in the old Syne Systems building on Main St across from Hunters.
They are having a tough time with codes approving their back deck area and are currently working with the area councilman to hopefully work through that situation

Barista Parlor, while expensive, is damn good.  And yes it tries way too hard to be......I hate this word......hipster.

The new 5 Points Cocina will open tomorrow at lunch time.
They had a friends and family event last night and the space looks really nice.
This is in the old Syne Systems building on Main St across from Hunters.
They are having a tough time with codes approving their back deck area and are currently working with the area councilman to hopefully work through that situation

Every time I drive by I look for it but can never clearly see an indicator that there is a mexican restaurant around.  I googled it though and it's right where I thought it was, lol.  Hopefully they get their back deck approved because what's a mexican place without a deck?  I doubt they'll be able to beat Rosepepper's house margarita, if you haven't tried it go right now, but they won't have a hard time beating Rosepepper's food.

Every time I drive by I look for it but can never clearly see an indicator that there is a mexican restaurant around.  I googled it though and it's right where I thought it was, lol.  Hopefully they get their back deck approved because what's a mexican place without a deck?  I doubt they'll be able to beat Rosepepper's house margarita, if you haven't tried it go right now, but they won't have a hard time beating Rosepepper's food.

It's directly across from Hunters on Main St.

The sign will be put up this week, took forever to get the permit.

Rehab of the building turned out very nice, hopefully people will enjoy it.

John, seriously, Nashville Biscuit House is not a coffee shop, it's a cheap diner.  It's two blocks from my house, and I won't go to it anymore because the lines wrap almost to my house and yet the food is clearly not worth the wait.  It is no comparison to it's former incarnation as Miss Opal's Knife And Fork.  Next time you are going to Nashville Biscuit House, call me up and I will make you some Folgers and instant pancakes and you can keep the $4.50.  I can serve it to you in my dining room or on my porch in nice weather.  Seriously, save yourself the time and money if you are going to come up within steps of my house.  I'd love to have you and your wive visit as I know that you are not allergic to cats.

Actually, I haven't noticed that Barista Parlor is expensive, but then I don't go to coffee shops and order regular coffee.  I usually get a Cafe Americano or something, so I'm in the $4.00 range no matter where I go.  Plus, Barista Parlor has the only Porter Road Butcher food that I can afford without taking out a lien on my house.

And Barista Parlor is hipster but all of the other coffee shops are not?  I missed something.  Although I did go to Barista Parlor recently and was in line behind Dan Auerbach.

Edited by bwithers1

I walked into Barista Parlor many months ago to check it out. I'm sure the place makes a fine cup of Joe (albeit overpriced from what I hear), but I thought the place was just trying to reach such a high level of hipness that I couldn't feel very good about being in there. They've blurred the line between coffee shop and hipster monument. 

Yeah...I stepped in a couple months back for a coffee and a sausage and biscuit.  Damn tasty? Yes, it was.  Overpriced? Certainly.  Over-hipstering someone who loves hipsters and what they can do for a city? Somehow, they managed to do it.

Yeah...I stepped in a couple months back for a coffee and a sausage and biscuit.  Damn tasty? Yes, it was.  Overpriced? Certainly.  Over-hipstering someone who loves hipsters and what they can do for a city? Somehow, they managed to do it.

Perhaps.  They will fit nicely in their new spot in the Gulch!

Does anyone know what is going into the old building that used to house (a couple generations back) the Pub of Love?  I recall some article a few months back and thought I might like it (I think it was an ethnic restaurant)... but that location didn't sound like the best place for a brand new restaurant.  What is in 12th and Porter's old building? 

It doesn't sound like this will be the same type of concept, but for what it's worth, but for whatever it's worth, "Vermilion", the restaurant she was previously executive chef for here in Chicago, is phenomenal.

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...