Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

I can't seem to find any print to support this, but the house on Eastland Ave. (right next door to Holland House) is reportedly to become a German pancake house. I've noticed some work going there and wondered what was going on. This would be a welcome addition to that corner.

I can't seem to find any print to support this, but the house on Eastland Ave. (right next door to Holland House) is reportedly to become a German pancake house. I've noticed some work going there and wondered what was going on. This would be a welcome addition to that corner.

It's good that they are getting something going in there.  But keep in mind that there is already significant neighborhood opposition to Holland House and Pharmacy due to the traffic and parking problems that they generate.   That area is not well served by public transportation and as it is many people park partially on the sidewalk on West Eastland because the street is not quite wide enough to have on-street parking and two lanes of traffic.  There is also the strange "jog" on West Eastland (right behind the Rite Aid) which has actually always been there from the time that the neighborhood was originally platted. 

And McFerrin has parking issues because it, too, is not very wide and jogs under the Ellington or splits up West Granada, which is barely wider than an alley and has a very steep incline.  People on Granada park literally on the sidewalk because there is not enough room for cars to pass. 

A few years ago this property owner approached the neighborhood about expanding commercial use from the corner to that adjacent parcel with promises that the retail use would be a neighborhood coffee shop, The Post.  But then he had a disagreement with the neighbors who were going to lease that spot and they had to find another location, which will now be at 17th/Fatherland.  So many neighbors there feel that the property owner gave them a bait-and-switch and they allowed an expansion of commercial use that will only aggaravate their existing traffic problems.  Many neighbors were willing to consider that change based on agreements that were made by The Post proprietors after numerous community meetings.  But now those agreements are moot.

The property owner of the Holland House/the Pharmacy has also had numerous disagreements with the Metro Historic Zoning Commissioners and has been given violation notices for failing to follow building permits that were issued.

I can safely say that Holland House/the Pharmacy is better than what was there before, but it has also caused a tremendous amount of headaches for Councilman Scott Davis who is always trying to negotiate between his constituents and that particular property owner.  These issues have been raised with regularity at numerous Greenwood neighborhood meetings over the last few years.

Edited by bwithers1

Odd question:  Does anyone know if the house almost directly behind the Pharmacy, which has 'no parking' signs hanging on the fence, is metro enforced?  I make it a point to park in those spots because I think it's a **** move as it looks like they were homeowner installed and are not official.  Across the street from the house there is a similar parking spot but the signs are fashioned on posts that appear to have been professionally installed and it does actually look legit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have never had their beer or even heard of them. 

I hate to be cynical but if they were moving away from San Diego AKA the 'IPA capitol of the world' then they must be running away from the competition.

Regardless, they are proponents of canning and the more the merrier.

I have never had their beer or even heard of them. 

I hate to be cynical but if they were moving away from San Diego AKA the 'IPA capitol of the world' then they must be running away from the competition.

Regardless, they are proponents of canning and the more the merrier.

Running away from the competition is one way to look at it. Another might be that it is a very crowded beer market, and being a relatively new brew, they might need some breathing room in order to grow and expand.

Either way, the selection of Nashville over some of the more established beer meccas shows that we are at least on a few radars in terms of growth in the craft beer industry. And it's not like we were likely to lure the likes of Stone or Green Flash.

I just hope they're at least decent and don't brew fizzy stinky lagers.

Running away from the competition is one way to look at it. Another might be that it is a very crowded beer market, and being a relatively new brew, they might need some breathing room in order to grow and expand.

Either way, the selection of Nashville over some of the more established beer meccas shows that we are at least on a few radars in terms of growth in the craft beer industry. And it's not like we were likely to lure the likes of Stone or Green Flash.

I just hope they're at least decent and don't brew fizzy stinky lagers.

Sampled some Tailgate blonde ale over the 4th. Not bad, not bad. From their website they have 3 styles, an IPA, a blonde ale and an imperial IPA, all in cans.

We had some debate about where they are opening their Nashville location. Article says a former Moose Lodge at 7600 Charlotte Pike, which puts it pretty far out west. Some in our group thought it must be 7600 Charlotte Ave, which is near 1City. I can't tell about either location from Google Maps.

7600 Charlotte Ave is almost to White Bridge Road.  That's pretty convenient to Sylvan Park/The Nations, but it's still a good haul from 1City.  At least until the Charlotte BRTLite is implemented :)

hmmm, i just put 7600 Charlotte AVE in google maps and this time got the location closer to White Bridge Rd.    The other day the pin showed up down near One City, but may have been user error.  :unsure:     7600 Charlotte PIKE cited in the NBJ article is out beyond Old Hickory Blvd. and seems an unlikely location.      Either way, I'm still not finding a site that fits the description in the article.   Guess we'll just have to wait and see...  

hmmm, i just put 7600 Charlotte AVE in google maps and this time got the location closer to White Bridge Rd.    The other day the pin showed up down near One City, but may have been user error.  :unsure:     7600 Charlotte PIKE cited in the NBJ article is out beyond Old Hickory Blvd. and seems an unlikely location.      Either way, I'm still not finding a site that fits the description in the article.   Guess we'll just have to wait and see...  

Yeah, Nashville addresses are totally screwed up.  Charlotte Ave vs Charlotte Pike.  Same goes for Gallatin Ave (East Nashville) versus Gallatin Pike (Madison).  But even the sudden jump to 7600 Charlotte Ave heading out of Sylvan Park is quite a numerical leap.  You are in the '5000s and then BAM you are at 7600.  Gallatin Ave in East Nashville makes a similar jump from 1200 to 2400 blocks in the NADC area.

San Diego craft brewer is relocating to Nashville.

From the NBJ

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/07/san-diego-craft-brewer-relocates-to-nashville.html

It is going to be at the old Moose Lodge out past OHB. They are not a 'true' brewer, they do contract brewing out of Wisconsin, nothing really craft about it.  It is more of a marketing operation than a brewery like Yazoo etc. They traditionally are poorly reviewed beers. They are saying they are going to open a brewery here but with their track record it will be more for show at best. The story is they won the trademark "Tailgate Beer" from Anheuser Busch and and outsourced the brewing to to make a beer and put their name on it.  Them moving from San Diego consisted of moving offices.

It is going to be at the old Moose Lodge out past OHB. They are not a 'true' brewer, they do contract brewing out of Wisconsin, nothing really craft about it.  It is more of a marketing operation than a brewery like Yazoo etc. They traditionally are poorly reviewed beers. They are saying they are going to open a brewery here but with their track record it will be more for show at best. The story is they won the trademark "Tailgate Beer" from Anheuser Busch and and outsourced the brewing to to make a beer and put their name on it.  Them moving from San Diego consisted of moving offices.

I was perusing their reviews on BeerAdvocate. It seems like they're rather sub-par.  There's nothing inherently wrong with contract brewing, but you're right, these guys seem more about marketing than getting out good beer.  The name seems rather silly, too, even compared to other obscure craft brewers.

Well, maybe i'm wrong about Gerst being a "contract". Maybe Yazoo has just revived it as one of their own. But yes, Yazoo brews it, but i had thought the recipe was owned by the Gerst descendants, which is what i meant by contract. I think they "contract" the Jubilee for someone in Kentucky. I could be wrong though.

But, i know what you mean. It's one thing for a true brewer like Yazoo to say "hey, that's a great recipe, let's partner up", but it's another for a "brewery" to sell their "craft" that is produced in another region of the country.

Edit for correction;

From Jubilee's website;

"In March of 2010, the first batch of Jubilee Nut Brown Ale hit the shelves in Middle Tennessee, thanks to the good folks at Bluegrass Brewing Company.  In January of 2013, Jubilee brought production closer to home, partnering with Mayday Brewery in Murfreesboro TN to release Randy’s IPA."

I'm not sure if that's what we would call "contract", but i like their beer and it's for a good cause.

From Yazoo's website;

"Check out a piece of Nashville brewing history! Gerst Brewery was the original Nashville brewery, but never recovered after prohibition. We are excited to partner with the Chandler Family, owners of the Gerst Haus Restaurant, to bring this beer back right where it belongs - Nashville, Tennessee."

Edit/edit;

​Well, obviously i've mucked up my whole side of this argument, but i guess that my point is that i don't see contract brewing as inherently "bad". True, i love a good craftsman and love to see their work first hand. But just like if i were doing a kitchen remodel and wanted hand made cabinets either someone builds them onsite, or buys them pre-made from another craftsman and installs them with precision. Either one can be a good result, as long as both parties are good at their craft. But there can certainly be a weak link in that equation.

Edited by nashvillwill

Yeah, Yazoo's Gerst isn't contract as it is just another beer that Yazoo makes and revived a historical Nashville beer, which was a very cool thing to do. Hap and Harrys is more of a 'contract' brew that Yazoo makes but it is still local with the Yazoo touch.  Randy's Jubilee is contract but it is done in in good spirit and supports the Oasis Center and has never tried to appear more than it is and it is local.

A beer brand that has its new 'home' in Nashville but brews out of Wisconsin, at not a highly rated brewery itself, is a true contract brewer and gets far from the craft beer spirit. They now appear to be trying to get the "southern beer image" by being in Nashville to maximize their pickup truck logo.  If you want a southern craft beer with a truck logo we already have a great one with Good People Brewing.  When the Tailgate owner is looking at market first and not the beer that tells you all you need to know.

• Like 1

Did anyone catch the episode on the Travel Channel about Nashville? It was on last night, and I don't think it was the original air date. The show was called Bizarre Foods and the host went around Nashville trying some of the city's iconic foods. It was cool getting to see the city represented on a show that typically deals with much larger markets, and around the world from what I could tell. 

He went to Boltons and Hattie B's for some spicy fried chicken. Then the others were Martin's Bar-B-Que, Pegleg Porker in the Gulch, a restaurant for some Kurdish food (never caught the name),  some pop-up restaurant for ramen that changes locations (Silly Goose for the episode), and then ended at The Catbird Seat. 

Did anyone catch the episode on the Travel Channel about Nashville? It was on last night, and I don't think it was the original air date. The show was called Bizarre Foods and the host went around Nashville trying some of the city's iconic foods. It was cool getting to see the city represented on a show that typically deals with much larger markets, and around the world from what I could tell. 

He went to Boltons and Hattie B's for some spicy fried chicken. Then the others were Martin's Bar-B-Que, Pegleg Porker in the Gulch, a restaurant for some Kurdish food (never caught the name),  some pop-up restaurant for ramen that changes locations (Silly Goose for the episode), and then ended at The Catbird Seat. 

Yeah, I saw this when it aired and thought it was pretty good.  The pop-up ramen place is Otaku South, and she runs a new establishment for pop-up events called POP on Gallatin Rd.  Otaku South makes an appearance here about once a week, but some other notable chefs have come to town to do events.  

• Like 1