Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

On 1/22/2018 at 3:59 PM, bhibbs said:

484228e387266fb3cf77cb98ac16fa99.jpg1cb71f61e6db1078e794483e992a0dfd.jpg

I actually went there on Thursday night before a concert at War Memorial.  It's very long and narrow and has about 30 counter seats, some four top tables in the middle and booths on the opposite side from the counter.  There was a bar area above the entrance but we didn't go up there.  They had a good beer selection and the appetizer we had (fried cheese curds, corn fritters, roasted brussels sprout) were very good.  I heard they are going to have live music as well but they didn't have any when we were there.

• Like 1

A little more info in the Tennessean about the abrupt closure of Provence.  And by a little more info, I mean no new info.  It's still a mystery why they closed.  And I'm still in a state of despair.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/02/19/provence-breads-cites-unforeseen-circumstances-abrupt-closure/345793002/

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, jmtunafish said:

A little more info in the Tennessean about the abrupt closure of Provence.  And by a little more info, I mean no new info.  It's still a mystery why they closed.  And I'm still in a state of despair.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2018/02/19/provence-breads-cites-unforeseen-circumstances-abrupt-closure/345793002/

Being a student at Belmont, that place was my getaway. So sad to see it shuttered. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

I hope we get more Asian restaurants in the near future. And I'm not talking about chinese buffets either lol. More like korean bbq, dim sum, and  vietnamese restaurants etc.  

Nashville has several good authentic Asian restaurants: Seoul Garden, Midori, Vinh Long, VN Pho, Miss Saigon, Sichuan Hot Pot, Chinatown, Lucky Bamboo (dim sum Sat/Sun), to name a few. 

Nashville doesn't have a large enough Chinese population to support more restaurants and I am unaware of a good place for ramen (Otaku Ramen is maybe the best, sadly). Many places for Asian fusion, if you like that. Or PF Chang's!! Hahaha

Yeah, but hopefully we get unique asian restaurants like the ones in Dallas, and Atl.

Or at least more of a variety of different types of hot pot restaurants and korean bbq.   For example:

[The breakers (there's one in ATL , Dallas, etc.) , Iron age, Honey Pig  "Korean self serve BBQ" ] 

0715_freshonthescene_breakers_cck_oneuse

Or an chinese/korean bakery like "Sweet hut or Mozart" (Sweet hut is located in ATL and Mozart in Dallas)

Sweet+Hut+Doraville.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSICXUDqVqLk1g344dNnVL

Or asian style tea cafe's like Kung fu tea(mostly east coast and most major cities), and tea house( Located in Houston).

18891438_1261968953932379_40673639107996

o.jpg

Or Kura a japanese style/owned revolving sushi restaurant.

kula-revolving-sushi-bar.jpg?w=1024&h=57 

I do notice that they're starting to introduce unique restaurants in Murfreesboro like Saibadee(Thai/viet/Lao food), Top one Rolled ice cream (thai rolled ice cream, and coffee fusion (which has  pho, viet style subs, and a mini asian bakery).  If you guys ever want to try something new  those places are pretty good. They're off medical center. I think Murfreesboro might end up looking like korea town in Carrollton, TX  and  Gwinnet county in ATL.  Clarksville has a bunch of korean restaurants and self serve bbq places too but it's a little out there. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Nashville has several good authentic Asian restaurants: Seoul Garden, Midori, Vinh Long, VN Pho, Miss Saigon, Sichuan Hot Pot, Chinatown, Lucky Bamboo (dim sum Sat/Sun), to name a few. 

Nashville doesn't have a large enough Chinese population to support more restaurants and I am unaware of a good place for ramen (Otaku Ramen is maybe the best, sadly). Many places for Asian fusion, if you like that. Or PF Chang's!! Hahaha

Woodlands is also pretty authentic (as I understand it).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MagicPotato said:

Yeah, but hopefully we get unique asian restaurants like the ones in Dallas, and Atl.

Or at least more of a variety of different types of hot pot restaurants and korean bbq.   For example:

[The breakers (there's one in ATL , Dallas, etc.) , Iron age, Honey Pig  "Korean self serve BBQ" ] 

0715_freshonthescene_breakers_cck_oneuse

Or an chinese/korean bakery like "Sweet hut or Mozart" (Sweet hut is located in ATL and Mozart in Dallas)

Sweet+Hut+Doraville.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSICXUDqVqLk1g344dNnVL

Or asian style tea cafe's like Kung fu tea(mostly east coast and most major cities), and tea house( Located in Houston).

18891438_1261968953932379_40673639107996

o.jpg

Or Kura a japanese style/owned revolving sushi restaurant.

kula-revolving-sushi-bar.jpg?w=1024&h=57 

I do notice that they're starting to introduce unique restaurants in Murfreesboro like Saibadee(Thai/viet/Lao food), Top one Rolled ice cream (thai rolled ice cream, and coffee fusion (which has  pho, viet style subs, and a mini asian bakery).  If you guys ever want to try something new  those places are pretty good. They're off medical center. I think Murfreesboro might end up looking like korea town in Carrollton, TX  and  Gwinnet county in ATL.  Clarksville has a bunch of korean restaurants and self serve bbq places too but it's a little out there. 

Pho Viet just opened up on the Boro on South Rutherford Blvd if you like Vietnamese food and then there is Cup Pop Korean BBQ near MTSU that is really good too.

• Like 1

We had a Korean bakery on 96 in Franklin that didn't make it. They were supplying K&S and all groceries, but they over supplied. Been gone almost 10 years now

We have a couple sushi train restaurants, but none of them will have items found when in Japan. We have a LOT of Loation/Vietnamese restaurants. Kung Fu tea can be commonly found in many restaurants, stores. Plenty of Thai food here. Seoul Garden and others have Korean bbq. While we are very blessed to have K&S, it would be nice to have H Mart. Murfreesboro, Almaville, Smyrna have Vietnamese restaurants. Try Curry House. Kirin Sushi in Antioch. We have many Ethiopian restaurants. Honduras, Jamaican, Indian, Greek, restaurants. We have a LOT!! Try some of the Meetup groups for ideas. And I like boiled crawfish! Happy hunting!!

• Like 2

That sucks that the korean bakery didn't make it. The location probably wasn't that great, and most of the asian population lives in Nashville,  Clarksville,Henderson, and Rutherford county. It'll probably do better now in Murfreesboro or the other locations listed. I agree, those restaurants are amazing, but I recently moved to Dallas for work. :tw_cold_sweat:

• Like 1

Great to hear that Nashville's ethnic food scene has greatly improved, because when I lived there the options were pretty dismal.  Does Nashville have any Persian, Moroccan, Senegalese (or any from West Africa), Peruvian or Venezuelan/Colombian places? Those are all a bit more obscure, I realize, but over the years those cuisines have become some of my favorites. 

9 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

Great to hear that Nashville's ethnic food scene has greatly improved, because when I lived there the options were pretty dismal.  Does Nashville have any Persian, Moroccan, Senegalese (or any from West Africa), Peruvian or Venezuelan/Colombian places? Those are all a bit more obscure, I realize, but over the years those cuisines have become some of my favorites. 

I think there a Venezuelan food truck at that gas station where Harding Place just north and becomes donelson Pike, going towards the airport. Or at least I think it is, there’s a Venezuelan flag hanging from it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

It's not Nashville, but there's a really, really good Peruvian food truck in Cookeville:  https://www.facebook.com/RoscoFoodTruck/

Edited by jmtunafish
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flatrock said:

Sonobana on White Bridge Rd. is the best Japanese food in Nashville, IMO. Owners are Japanese.... that's key. Attached small Japanese market is jammed full of Japanese staples.

House of Kabob on Thompson Lane is Persian...and it's good.

Introduce yourself to Hanabi in Brentwood when you get a chance...

• Like 1

On 2/19/2018 at 9:28 PM, jmtunafish said:

The word on the street: the closure is tax-related. Heard more detail, but won't share here + it may not be true.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Hanabi is probably the best for Japanese, but I don't know Sonobana, will have to try. I pass by Ken's on a regular basis, so I don't have a need to look elsewhere! Hahaha

House of Kabob is good, also The Eastern Peak, just down the road

Think I'll go grab some empanadas !!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LA_TN said:

Hanabi is probably the best for Japanese, but I don't know Sonobana, will have to try. I pass by Ken's on a regular basis, so I don't have a need to look elsewhere! Hahaha

House of Kabob is good, also The Eastern Peak, just down the road

Think I'll go grab some empanadas !!!!

I've had several Japanese from Bridgestone tell me that Sonobana is the best sushi in Nashville.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, japan said:

I've had several Japanese from Bridgestone tell me that Sonobana is the best sushi in Nashville.

I had to try this place today just to test it. I concur. Best sushi, best Japanese food in general, in Nashville! Also, you can tell a place is great when you walk in and it's old, and full of old locals. 

• Like 1