Nashville food and beverage scene

smeagolsfree

I have seen signs at the old Mrs. Winners on Main in East Nashville near 5points saying that they are going to turn that into a food truck park type of place.

It's a food truck gathering spot once a week (I think it's either Friday or Saturday evenings) for now, but the owner plans to turn that building into a Jet's Pizza franchise at some point.

It's a food truck gathering spot once a week (I think it's either Friday or Saturday evenings) for now, but the owner plans to turn that building into a Jet's Pizza franchise at some point.

Thats sad to hear, I thought the food truck gathering idea was a great idea when I first saw the sign

I think eventually all of this will be tied together a little better for pedestrians to get from the 11th Ave venues to what I'll call the Division St venues.  I recall an article when Peg Leg Porkers opened quoting owner Carey Bringle saying there were plans for a brick path or something connecting his street (Gleaves) to Pine Street.     

Actually, there is a path.  If you go down Pine Street starting at 11th and go east between the new buildings, Pine Street now goes all the way behind the new building next to Icon along the rail road tracks and drops you off pretty much right in front of Peg Leg Porkers.

Thats sad to hear, I thought the food truck gathering idea was a great idea when I first saw the sign

I'm wondering what the status is for the Gallatin Pike Mrs. Winners.  The Jets Pizza guy was also the owner of Feast, the restaurant at 5th/Main, which recently closed.  So I don't know whether the closure of that restaurant will now free up his time and attention to return to the Jets Pizza proposal for the Mrs. Winners, or if he has also let that idea go.  The existing food truck court on Main Street never really got off the ground because Ken's Sushi ended up signing a lease for that building, although the haven't moved in yet.  We'll see how it goes for the Mrs. Winners site.  But that parking lot is a little bit tight, which was a problem even when that building was still Mrs. Winners.

Speaking only for myself, I don't quite see the point of a "permanent" food truck park.  Isn't the whole idea that they bring the food to where their customers are, such as outside the office parks at lunchtime and outside the bars at night time?  I can see the food tuck  park being a temporary use while someone waits for a more permanent use.

Personally, I hope that someone scraps that Mrs. Winners building and puts up something that comes out to the street.  The building is in really bad shape.  The roof is terrible.  This is one of the last buildings in East Nashville that needs an adaptive reuse.  The Calypso Cafe in the former shoe store is reasonable, but should also be first in line for demolition once the AMP turnaround makes that corner a prime real estate location.

http://gobourbon.com/americas-55-best-bourbon-bars/

Of the 55 best bourbon bars in the nation, Nashville has 4 (Capitol Grille - Oak Bar, Holland House, Patterson House, Whiskey Kitchen).

Of course, like 1/3 of the places listed are in Kentucky....and we're definitely in whiskey/bourbon country...but still, it's pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Gread infill and a much needed service. I suspect they will do well.

Although I think it's unwise for them to sell alcohol (the article mentions a bar on every floor). Look, I like a drink as much as the next guy, but there is also the old saying "do one thing and do it right". If you're going to be a diner, be a diner. There is a plethora of other places in the area (owned by the same people) to drink. Why would they want that massive liability weighing down this concept? I can see making mimosa's and bloody Mary's, but a full bar is a different animal.

I am inclined to agree that there are plenty of bars downtown already.  Maybe they are hoping to be Sobro's answer to Rotier's?  But TN has separate licenses for beer and liquor.  So if you're going to go for the upgrade to the liquor license in order to have mimosas and bloody marys, so you might as well serve it all.

Gread infill and a much needed service. I suspect they will do well.

Although I think it's unwise for them to sell alcohol (the article mentions a bar on every floor). Look, I like a drink as much as the next guy, but there is also the old saying "do one thing and do it right". If you're going to be a diner, be a diner. There is a plethora of other places in the area (owned by the same people) to drink. Why would they want that massive liability weighing down this concept? I can see making mimosa's and bloody Mary's, but a full bar is a different animal.

Rolf and Daughters has made Esquire's list of best restaurants for 2013.  I have never been there, but I've read about it.  http://www.esquire.com/features/food-drink/best-new-restaurants-2013#slide-17

I love having this literally a stones throw away from where I live.

The place just has a great "feel" to it, it is certainly worthy of all of the praise that it is getting.

Yum!  Indian food.  

From the Tennessean today... "Celebrity chef Maneet Chauhan is set to open her new restaurant Chauhan Ale & MasalaHouseicon1.png in the Gulch in the spring of 2014. The restaurant will be located at 123 12th Ave. N., the former space of Red Rooster."

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20131014/LIFE02/310140049/Celebrity-chef-Maneet-Chauhan-picks-Gulch-site-new-Nashville-restaurant

More live music on Broadway... Third area Tin Roof location in the building where Hatch Show Print was formerly located... http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2013/10/tin-roof-gets-downtown-permit.html

Interesting. I'm wondering if they know of something about to happen on Demonbreun. Just odd to have those bars so close to each other.

Interesting. I'm wondering if they know of something about to happen on Demonbreun. Just odd to have those bars so close to each other.

I'm pretty sure they're just adding an additional location.  I believe the Tin Roof owner is also behind the craft beer and burger place that's going next to the current mid town Tin Roof, so I don't think he's expecting to get out of the Demonbreun game any time soon. 

No telling what the Elmington group has planned for the area though. They did just purchase the entire strip center, but several locations there are renovating, so I am sure they have some long term leases built in. However I did see plans that called for a high end hotel in that area but they denied they were doing the project.

Just odd to have those bars so close to each other.

My hunch is that even though the locations are maybe a mile or so apart, they'd target completely different crowds. The Broadway spot would cater to tourists that would never venture to the Demonbreun area, and the Demonbreun spot would cater to a local crowd that probably wouldn't set foot on lower Broadway.

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 1