Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

Interesting. I've long thought something needed to be done with that plot of land. One less lot, but they need to consider parking for the restaurants in the area, so that garage needs to be pretty big. Hopefully the design will play off the Adelicia in both form and materials. Hoping for 12-16 stories.

Edited by dmillsphoto

Was just about to come post this but someone beat me to the punch!

Any idea how many floors they're planning on the tower that they want the variance for? This area is primed for some higher density development, what with its easy access to Vandy and Downtown, and, hopefully in the very near future, the BRT.

After reading the article over again, looks like it could be more than one tower as it talked about the variance for "one of the towers." Of course "tower" can be a fairly subjective name but expect the product to be pretty decent. Excellent restaurants and nightlife is in the immediate area but lacks significant true retail. This will be excellent for those in their residency at Vanderbilt because everything will be right outside their door of their apartment and guests visiting folks at the VUMC can stay at the hotel in this development.

It'd be great to have a healthclub at that spot... where is the closest one to Vandy's campus?

I saw the link to the CityWay (pathetic name) website, and parts of it look quite attractive. I guess that would be the hotel portion. The residences don't look especially remarkable, but I am sure anything they put up at that site will look 1000% better than the Grand, right behind it.

After reading the article over again, looks like it could be more than one tower as it talked about the variance for "one of the towers." Of course "tower" can be a fairly subjective name but expect the product to be pretty decent. Excellent restaurants and nightlife is in the immediate area but lacks significant true retail. This will be excellent for those in their residency at Vanderbilt because everything will be right outside their door of their apartment and guests visiting folks at the VUMC can stay at the hotel in this development.

You have to like what it will do for the street along that stretch. I must confess that I've never heard of Alexander. How do they fall on the proverbial "Star" scale? You may recall that Ritz once looked at the site right across Broadway (at 21st Avenue) a few years back. Speaking of... the more I think about Palmer's Summit (and I finally read his interview in the NBJ), I really do believe it will be Ritz going into that project. BTW: By my math, including the prospective space demands for Parallon and SCRI as well as the hotel, the total square footage for Summit will exceed 1.1 million!!!

Edited by MLBrumby

I know there was a 28 story apartment proposed for the Adelicia site once, but it got shouted down by the neighbors as too tall. So maybe there is a significant allowance for height in that area.

This must be the site (my best guess).

21stAveDevelopment.jpg

Edited by PHofKS

NP... Here is a good plan image of the proposal....

Buckingham_site_plan.jpg?v=1

http://www.bizjourna...evelopment.html

The property, which currently houses a Wendy's and Benchmark bar/restaurant, is owned by LaGasse Family Partners. The LaGasse family, which owns several parcels in the area, has leased the property to Buckingham.

The project, which also involves Nashville-based Littlejohn Engineering Associates, now heads to the planning commission, which is expected to hear the request next month.

Does it leave the building where Mellow Mushroom is located? I can not discern.

Edited by Guest

The project makes the proposed Hill Property (triangular sliver) redevelopment very pivotal of the area. Maybe it will persuade them (Hill's) to be more ambushes that the original plans.

Some interesting proposals to improve the crazy intersection at 21st and Division/Broadway.

Presently:

21stDivisionpresentroads.jpg

and proposed...

21stDivisionproposedtraffic.jpg

Yes, I saw that and wondered what that was all about... especially since the actual bend in that parcel is considerably farther up (north) from the bend in 21st. IMHO, it's most likely a "stop" for whateve goes up at the corner of Broad and 21st. I certainly hope it is not a proposal for what to do for the 21st Avenue bend... as that drawing looks like 21st would stop being a continuous street there (aligned with the orientation of the numbered streets around it) and require a stop light... followed by another stoplight at Grand Avenue. I am no traffic engineer, but I certainly would not advise the to Metro Public Works.

They have in fact squared off 21st and added a traffic signal in their rendering. They want people to be able to make right and left turns out/in their property. I don't like this at all. That intersection could use some work, but I wouldn't want a light there.

I would keep the street mostly the way it is (with improved sidewalks) and tell the new developer only right turns out/in on Broadway. The last thing we need at that intersection is traffic trying to turn left across an already confusing bend of several streets.

I'm no expert but I believe that would entail acquiring even more property across 21st, by the city or developer, and I imagine the bottleneck a roundabout could produce during heavy rush hour traffic on 21st/Broadway. I don't see plenty of room for such a space-consuming traffic device.

Ok. How about a roundabout? There is plenty of room for one. It would make for a pretty prominent corner.

I'm certainly no expert either, but judging by the satellite image posted by PHofKS, it seems to me like there is plenty of room. In fact, it seems like we essentially already have one built minus the white stripes. With the angle that each road comes to the center, it almost seems natural. All we would need is a small chicane for each road entering the roundabout (so traffic doesn't go through at 40mph) and there you have it.

I don't want to create more traffic than the next guy, but a traffic signal certainly won't cause any less problems than a roundabout.

I... can't figure out how they are squaring the intersection off. 21st coming from West End is a near-straight shot into the merge with itself after the curb. I don't like it. At all.

I would be in favor of a roundabout. But it should not be a prominent one - traffic flow is more important than aesthetics at this intersection. With people coming from West End/Kissam Hall down 21st into Green Hills, merging with those exiting Broadway, and then the opposite traffic flow having an option of Division or Broadway...

Edited by dmillsphoto