Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

During a lightning quick drive-through, I noticed that the Mellow Mushroom has a radically different paint scheme now. Very, very striking and colorful. I think it will look good next to the rising Aertson.

I couldn't snap a pic, but there's one on the Nashville page of the Mellow Mushroom website (though very, very cropped).

Wow! That's just massive and close to the sidewalk.  It will look really great on a fall evening with lights on and leaves glowing under the early evening streetlights. As for the lot in which you stood to take these pics, I keep wondering how long it will take Vandy to develop that very high-profile corner. I think condos and retail would work great there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Goodness, that development is massive. I really need to drive by here to check it out. I like what they did to the outside of Mellow Mushroom. That could be old, but I haven't been by there is probably a year plus. 

I've never been to Y-M in all my born days.  I reckon I better go before it eventually becomes too late.  They do smell good though, when someone has walked by me with a box of it. -==-

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • dmillsphoto changed the title to Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, dmillsphoto said:

Adam Sichko reporting that Caviar & Bananas will be the boutique grocer in the Aertson, the first retail announcement. 

Looking at the menu and concept, it actually sounds like it makes for both a tasty lunch spot and a good source for rare, specialized goods...however, I'm pretty sure most Aertson residents would rather just have a place they can buy a jug of milk.  I know I would.  Neighborhoods can be very urban and walkable in terms of density, but if you still have to drive a few miles just for your basic goods and services, then the whole purpose of the 'urban pedestrian friendly' neighborhood is kind of defeated. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 3

Wow! Rookzie, I would never have guessed that building used to be a grocery store.. I don't think since the late 1980s.  I haven't traveled much along that street, but that building is such a nondescript building.. barely noticeable.  And I'd guess it must be very very old... as there is not apparent parking lot around it.  That also makes me wonder if a streetcar ran down Charlotte avenue at one time. I'm fascinated with history that is hidden in plain sight like this. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

Wow! Rookzie, I would never have guessed that building used to be a grocery store.. I don't think since the late 1980s.  I haven't traveled much along that street, but that building is such a nondescript building.. barely noticeable.  And I'd guess it must be very very old... as there is not apparent parking lot around it.  That also makes me wonder if a streetcar ran down Charlotte avenue at one time. I'm fascinated with history that is hidden in plain sight like this. 

I used to go into that thing during the '50s, and even still, I would drive there during the late '60s.  Obviously is was not today's "department-aisle" supermarkets, which during the 1950s, had been in the form of a local chain "Cooper and Martin" ─ one in the structure now occupied by Save-A-Lot, Goodwill, and other retail at the Richland Creek SC (5400 block of Charlotte), and one (smaller) on Nolensville Road across Tanksley Ave from the old Turner School building.  Those two didn't sell housewares and sundries back then, but they had been the closest thing to "big".  Throughout the core, though, Kroger, HG Hills, and A&P competed as full-service grocers, while Bi-Rite franchises of small owner-dweller corner stores were embedded obscurely throughout nearly all neighborhoods through the early-mid 1960s.

I hate to say it, but most of these core stores languished during the 1960s, in part as a result of "ethnic flight", beginning 1964.  -==-

Bi-Rite_Lafayette_St-reduced.jpg

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 4