Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

I'm guessing it has everything to do with access to the hotel. This is going to be a busy intersection.

I... can't figure out how they are squaring the intersection off. 21st coming from West End is a near-straight shot into the merge with itself after the curb. I don't like it. At all.

I would be in favor of a roundabout. But it should not be a prominent one - traffic flow is more important than aesthetics at this intersection. With people coming from West End/Kissam Hall down 21st into Green Hills, merging with those exiting Broadway, and then the opposite traffic flow having an option of Division or Broadway...

You sure? If you look at the site plan, you'll see that the intersection provides direct two-way access to the garage.

Ummm... hmm... New Orleans meets the Vanderbilts... 13 Stories on the residential, 16 on the hotel. Squaring off the intersection has nothing to do with hotel access, looks like that will be off Division/20th

That is massive..... may have a hard time with the variance. The architecture seems very Disney-esque. It may just be the rendering thought. I do like that we are discussing the very prominent property.

I like the style of the CityWalk renderings much better.

Edited by Guest

Ummm... hmm... New Orleans meets the Vanderbilts... 13 Stories on the residential, 16 on the hotel. Squaring off the intersection has nothing to do with hotel access, looks like that will be off Division/20th

Vandy21stproject*900.jpg?v=1

Gawd.....might as well go ahead and dub it Buckingham Palace.

I haven't decided whether I like this design or not. I mean, I kind of like it...but as far as being appropriate for the site/area, I'm not sure. More of a classic design than modern, for sure.

I can tell you one thing, people on the west facing side of Twenty & Grand are going to sh#t bricks when they find out they no longer have a view of anything.

My concern is materials and colors. Bathe this building in stucco with pinks, yellows, creams and reds and it will look hideous. I hope to talk to a Buckingham official Wednesday to get a feel for the exterior design.

WW

My 2 cents, it looks French to me, I can see it in something like that smooth, dingy concrete render so many French buildings are covered in, dark metal balconies, with the base faced in smooth honey-colored stone. But without quite looking like an imitation Versailles. I sure hope it isn't done up earth-tone motel-style, or like those big pale buildings at Belmont University or the loathsome 20th & grand building which it will thankfully hide.

I prefer strongly colored stuccco like on Panera or Vista Germantown, but dark stucco or all brick would be oppressive in this scale and out of keeping with the slightly feminine aesthetic of the building. I like the vegetation on the terraces and hope that is part of the final appearance.

Ye gads. I like the building to the left, very classic with the cornices. However, the Disneyfied Buckingham Palace section is way too massive for the section and doesn't fit the area. Break it up to give it a 19th century urban highrise feel and I'll like it, I think, but I'm not a huge fan as-is if the rendering is accurate.

Ye gads. I like the building to the left, very classic with the cornices. However, the Disneyfied Buckingham Palace section is way too massive for the section and doesn't fit the area. Break it up to give it a 19th century urban highrise feel and I'll like it, I think, but I'm not a huge fan as-is if the rendering is accurate.

I don’t know about it being too massive for the area. If you drive down 21st going to Vandy, there is just a mass of buildings with the VUMC. The height would not be a lot different as those are commercial/medical facilities and rather tall for the number of floors. The Adelicia is going to be right behind this development as well. I am a pro big development in this area and want to see it get some bulky mass.

On another front, I think the traffic concerns could be managed with entrances to the residential in the back side and the entrance to the hotel would clearly be on Division. One option that I highly favor is elimination of on street parking in much of the main corridors in midtown including Division, Broadway, and West End. This will generate the need for more and attractive parking structures in the area which is greatly need. The on street parking makes this area very dangerous due to visibility issues. I go over there about every weekend and see many near misses. Any improvement to the intersection at 21st and Broadway/ Division would be better than it is now. A round about could work as a solution, but they would have to take part of the parking lot on the north side of the street to make it work. I would hate to see another traffic light.

• Like 2

I don’t know about it being too massive for the area. If you drive down 21st going to Vandy, there is just a mass of buildings with the VUMC. The height would not be a lot different as those are commercial/medical facilities and rather tall for the number of floors. The Adelicia is going to be right behind this development as well. I am a pro big development in this area and want to see it get some bulky mass.

On another front, I think the traffic concerns could be managed with entrances to the residential in the back side and the entrance to the hotel would clearly be on Division. One option that I highly favor is elimination of on street parking in much of the main corridors in midtown including Division, Broadway, and West End. This will generate the need for more and attractive parking structures in the area which is greatly need. The on street parking makes this area very dangerous due to visibility issues. I go over there about every weekend and see many near misses. Any improvement to the intersection at 21st and Broadway/ Division would be better than it is now. A round about could work as a solution, but they would have to take part of the parking lot on the north side of the street to make it work. I would hate to see another traffic light.

Eh, that's true, didn't think of all the VUMC buildings there.

It still just seems so disproportional though. In addition, I think I'd like it better if it didn't look like it were trying to come off as an organic cluster of buildings. You can never fake that sort of thing. Whenever you do, it just looks constructed, a la the aforementiond references to Disneyworld.

Eh, that's true, didn't think of all the VUMC buildings there.

It still just seems so disproportional though. In addition, I think I'd like it better if it didn't look like it were trying to come off as an organic cluster of buildings. You can never fake that sort of thing. Whenever you do, it just looks constructed, a la the aforementiond references to Disneyworld.

Actually, I think that helps to break up its massive-ness along that side of the street, that and the fact that the street curves back, instead of curving in, where it would look like the building is surrounding the street. As far as the picture, I believe WW was absolutely right that the materials they use will determine how this will look. The rendering does not show the setbacks of the upper floors, but they will help keep it from looking like a wall. Also, the fact that that is a big 3-way intersection (really an elongated X) will also help "tone down" the massive presence. That said, I do believe that area of midtown does need more mass like this... and I have applauded above the foresight to place a high-end hotel at that intersection. I also like the separate style of the hotel tower (it looks classic). So this one is really growing on me. Overall, I hope this project does get built... but in a quality manner.

Edited by MLBrumby

Is this development basically along that 21st-to-Broadway corner, basically between 21st /Broadway and the Adelicia building? I'm having trouble placing exactly where this will go.

Yup, you got it. If you check page 1 there are a few images which should help and show that spot exactly. Unless those didn't help? Don't worry, I get confused a lot too, especially with all these announcements and changeovers of properties lately!!