Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

I think you guys get the air let out of your balloons too fast. With Kens moving, I think that is a good sign for this project moving forward.

BTW, welcome RandomHero.

so many new members, so little time

<---balloons filled with helium

<---balloons filled with helium

m

iu

el

h

• Like 1

I think you guys get the air let out of your balloons too fast. With Kens moving, I think that is a good sign for this project moving forward.ime

I'm not so sure that Ken's move is any indicator that this project is moving- at least in the near term. Ken's has been on a 30 day notice since the project was announced. That is no way to run a business. So, a move to a permanent lease makes sense for Ken's, without saying anything about the prospects for Buckingham.

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Not a fan of this project anyway. Way too many hotels being built, and the market is very fragile now. There is no need for this project except a low to midrise residential and retail no more than 8 stories in this area. No need for yet another hotel.

Not a fan of this project anyway. Way too many hotels being built, and the market is very fragile now. There is no need for this project except a low to midrise residential and retail no more than 8 stories in this area. No need for yet another hotel.

What, unless it is Swerdling's Westin on Broadway? 

I agree that Midtown is pretty saturated with budget-to-medium hotels, with a few exceptions (Embassy Suites, Loew's and Hutton are pricier, but not what I would call luxury hotels), but I think that the Midtown/Vandy area is the right spot for a luxury hotel with a brand that Nashville doesn't yet have in our portfolio. 

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

What, unless it is Swerdling's Westin on Broadway? 

I agree that Midtown is pretty saturated with budget-to-medium hotels, with a few exceptions (Embassy Suites, Loew's and Hutton are pricier, but not what I would call luxury hotels), but I think that the Midtown/Vandy area is the right spot for a luxury hotel with a brand that Nashville doesn't yet have in our portfolio. 

Loews is 4 diamond, Hutton is 4 diamond and are considered luxury hotels. But yes, we are building wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to many hotels. The market here will not sustain it.

I actually agree with 5&MU - there are a lot of hotels being built right now, both inside and outside the core. I can understand 3-4 around the MCC, but considering that there are 2 going next to Hutton, 1 with this project, 1 with (presumably) WES, the Homewood Suites further down, it's becoming quite saturated. 

Nashville IS becoming saturated with limited service hotels.  But Nashville is NOT saturated with full-service hotels with ballroom/meeting space. Butch Spyridon says that Nashville desparately needs some more of those.  I am assuming that whatever is proposed for the Buckingham would fit in to this latter category.

Nashville IS becoming saturated with limited service hotels.  But Nashville is NOT saturated with full-service hotels with ballroom/meeting space. Butch Spyridon says that Nashville desparately needs some more of those.  I am assuming that whatever is proposed for the Buckingham would fit in to this latter category.

When I was in contact with the developer, the anticipated hotel would not include significant ballroom or meeting space.  Although no brands were discussed, there was mention of "similiar to" Embassy Suites and Courtyard.  Rates were supposed to be comparable to those brands as well.  My information is that financing on the hotel portion of the project fell through, perhaps due to the building boom. 

When I was in contact with the developer, the anticipated hotel would not include significant ballroom or meeting space.  Although no brands were discussed, there was mention of "similiar to" Embassy Suites and Courtyard.  Rates were supposed to be comparable to those brands as well.  My information is that financing on the hotel portion of the project fell through, perhaps due to the building boom. 

Wow, if that's the case, then that really would be a waste.  That area is already packed with stuff that is "similar to," Embassy Suites and Courtyards, not counting the actual Embassy Suites and Courtyard.  So I can see having trouble obtaining financing for one of those hotels in the CBD or Midtown market right now.

It would also seem odd to add one of those generic hotels onto what seems to be a more high-end residential and retail project.  I would really think that a more full-service, high-end or at least a boutique hotel would be attached to this project.  And I would think that the well-publicized lack of meeting space in central Nashville hotels - an absence that is threatening the city's ability to land conventions to fill the convention center - would point to placing a product that would help to fill that need in this project. 

• 2 months later...

Warning: I'm repeating a rumor.  But, I heard from a source who spoke with a person who has, in the past, had information about this project that a November ground-breaking is in the works.  FWIW that's within the time frame mentioned after the March ground-breaking didn't materialize.  Ken's Sushi and Wendy's are still open and operating on a month-to-month with a 30 day notice, and, as of yesterday, Ken's hadn't heard anything.  So, perhaps this is nothing, but it might be worthwhile to shake a few trees to see if anything is afoot.

• Like 2

Wow, if that's the case, then that really would be a waste.  That area is already packed with stuff that is "similar to," Embassy Suites and Courtyards, not counting the actual Embassy Suites and Courtyard.  So I can see having trouble obtaining financing for one of those hotels in the CBD or Midtown market right now.

It would also seem odd to add one of those generic hotels onto what seems to be a more high-end residential and retail project.  I would really think that a more full-service, high-end or at least a boutique hotel would be attached to this project.  And I would think that the well-publicized lack of meeting space in central Nashville hotels - an absence that is threatening the city's ability to land conventions to fill the convention center - would point to placing a product that would help to fill that need in this project. 

Not Embassy Suites though (SMH). I think a Westin, Grand Bohemian or something similar would be the perfect fit. A 21 c Hotel similar to Louisville or Cincinnati would be cool too.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed utility markings on 20th and Chet Adkins adjacent to the parking lot that is part of the Buckingham footprint.  According to what I've been told, these are for electrical work which has been contracted to Stansell Electric by Crane Construction.  Any word on whether this is, in fact, part of the Buckingham project, as speculated?

I like the redesign of the lower portion of the residential side...but I think the upper portion could use some work. This is just a rendering, so I think the colors are hard to tell here. If they use something a little more bold, I think it will look fine.

I'm not crazy about the bay windows, and the roof looks 'busy' to me. They should just simplify it. The rest of the rendering looks cleaner than before (probably because the other looked to be hand drawn). I wonder why they didn't just design the 'tower' portion of the residential like the rest of the building? It seems like it would fit better that way than trying to add a fancy roof.

17-story hotel (~200-210 ft), 13 story residential (~170-180 ft)?

I guess they wanted to give an architectural nod to the Embassy Suites up the street--sort of like bland bookends to the strip of mid-town bars there. 

I'm okay with the bay windows and the little roofs, though I completely understand the alternative opinion.  I just think the leftmost tower looks like a dorm stairwell and the whole thing is completely washed out.  Hopefully that's mostly an issue with the watercolor rendering.

I miss the Disney castle. 

• Like 1