Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

Im sure it will affect many of the businesses in that area (the ones you guys have mentioned as well as South Street and others within walking distance), but, once this thing is done I am sure all of the neighboring businesses will be welcoming the influx of new traffic with open arms.

Shame they couldn't tear down the Mellow Mushroom and incorporate it into the new building. I have a feeling it will look rather out of place once this is built. It also seems like it would limit what could be done with that land in the future if Mellow Mushroom ever decides sell. 

^^^I'm actually very happy that the MM building will remain. It will help break up the homogenous feel of this project and will keep that corner at a very human scale. It will make the Buckingham less imposing as you walk by. It's that good blend of new & old that makes for a nice built environment. Also, it should be of note, that in the buckingham renderings, the first 5-6 floors facing MM are a blank wall. I see no reason someone couldn't expand the MM into a low-rise in the future.

Edited by nashvillwill
  • Like 3

Shame they couldn't tear down the Mellow Mushroom and incorporate it into the new building. I have a feeling it will look rather out of place once this is built. It also seems like it would limit what could be done with that land in the future if Mellow Mushroom ever decides sell. 

Actually I seem to recall the LaGasses own the Mellow Mushroom building but chose not to incorporate it.  I agree leaving it as is gives a human scale to the street corner.  

I like these large projects like Skyhouse etc. but I don't want to see this area turn into The Valley of the Giants, especially with the few surviving repurposed brick mansions as you go toward DT, all of which are probably in danger now.  The more variety in size, style, etc. the better as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 3

^^^I'm actually very happy that the MM building will remain. It will help break up the homogenous feel of this project and will keep that corner at a very human scale. It will make the Buckingham less imposing as you walk by. It's that good blend of new & old that makes for a nice built environment. Also, it should be of note, that in the buckingham renderings, the first 5-6 floors facing MM are a blank wall. I see no reason someone couldn't expand the MM into a low-rise in the future.

Totally agree. Actually, I really liked the little red and yellow brick, vintage building that housed Ken's Sushi too. I sort of wish that was the building preserved on the corner instead of the one that houses Mellow Mushroom because of the blend of old and new you mentioned. Unfortunately, we really do seem to be losing a lot of these neat, older buildings that give Midtown some character as of late. 

Edited by ariesjow
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With the exception of 505CST this is my favorite planned or proposed development in nashville right now. Assuming they get a grocer as a tenant, It is really going to make Midtown a very walkable neighborhood and very urban feeling. It is also a key piece in the puzzle to make the downtown-gulch-music row-Midtown-west end areas a continuous stretch of urbanity while still giving each area it's own feel.

• Like 1

I like that they have actually took some time and learned about the surrounding area and the history involved. And It looks like they have spent some dinero on marketing their development....from the renders to the vids.

This broke ground yesterday...should we change to U/C?

Exciting project!

BTW...here is the streetscape improvement plan

http://www.nashville.gov/Portals/0/SiteContent/pw/docs/projects/21stBroadway/21stBroadwayDevelopmentSketch.pdf

I completely agree.  It would be a very positive thing to have more developers who were interested in actually becoming a part of our existing neighborhoods rather than both literally and figuratively bulldozing over them just to make a quick buck in the "it city."

As far as the streetscape improvements are concerned, the alignment seems to be significantly better overall, but I'm not too thrilled with the little turn lane onto Broadway from 21st.  It doesn't exactly scream, "we love you, pedestrians!"