Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

What did I say a year or so ago? This was a Vanderbilt project for the Vanderbilt community? Some of you thought I was crazy! Call this Green Hills East and be done with it. I think I'll pass.

I truly don't get your criticism here.  You're mad because the project's name is a tip-of-the-cap to a local historic institution? 

What did I say a year or so ago? This was a Vanderbilt project for the Vanderbilt community? Some of you thought I was crazy! Call this Green Hills East and be done with it. I think I'll pass.

This really sounds like something I would read on the comments section of a Tennessean article...

• Like 2

I truly don't get your criticism here.  You're mad because the project's name is a tip-of-the-cap to a local historic institution? 

This really sounds like something I would read on the comments section of a Tennessean article...

With all due respect gentlemen, how about homage' to Belmont? Lipscomb? TSU? Fisk? Is Vanderbilt the only institution worth recognizing?

My concern here again is price points for a certain demographic. If the rack rates for the hotel are $500 and the only retail is Fendi, and Couture, then I am not interested. Nashville needs to be careful here. West End and The Gulch areas do not need to become playgrounds for the rich thus eliminating 75-90% of Nashville residents. Rents are already too high in this area, and many Nashvillian's avoid the area due to inflated prices.

If downtown prices get much higher, Middle Class Nashville will stay in the suburbs where they can park free and shop at a retailer that does not take their entire paycheck.

Yes, I appreciate these infill projects, but not at the expense of greater Nashville as a whole. This is becoming an issue on the East Side. We do not want to happen in East Nashville what happened in the Belmont 12South area and in Germantown. West end started getting out of hand in the 1980's.

Prices become too high, and you lose the creative class, and middle class Nashville who don't have the incomes for these new affluent areas. If every development is built for the Nashville version of Hollywood,  what happens to our city? It turns into Atlanta, NYC, Charlotte, Vancouver, Portland et. al. and is too expensive to be sustainable.

These infill projects can be built without the term "luxury" always attached to them. It's offensive to the rest of the city who are not swimming in cash to afford these amenities. Heck, we cannot even get decent public transportation, yet we are ready to build another luxury area for the Bently driving class. Pathetic.

The Vanderbilt community is the Nashville community, too, ya know.

Not necessarily. For years Vanderbilt had no use for Nashville and very rarely if ever became involved with the Nashville community. Just ask Phil Bredesen how much cooperation he received during his administration.

• Like 1

If downtown prices get much higher, Middle Class Nashville will stay in the suburbs where they can park free and shop at a retailer that does not take their entire paycheck.

Yes, I appreciate these infill projects, but not at the expense of greater Nashville as a whole. This is becoming an issue on the East Side. We do not want to happen in East Nashville what happened in the Belmont 12South area and in Germantown.

Well put and good points. East Nashville is already starting to price out the very residents that made it such a unique and appealing neighborhood to begin with. The influx has already begun of overpriced, cookie cutter luxury apartments and over priced "hip" or "modern" houses being squeezed into neighborhoods where older bungalows (which many find more charming) were once more prevalent. 

We just recently moved to Old Hickory Village when our landlords decided to capitalize on this trend in East Nashville. A month before our lease renewal was due for our house in East Nashville, they told us we had to move because they were going to renovate and sell it. We literally had a month to find a new place and within the 3 years we had lived in the neighborhood we had become priced out. I give it a few years before the same thing happens here in Old Hickory Village.

Anyway, I don't want to start a huge derail here. I just wanted to let UA know I agree with the devils advocate stance here. 

Edited by NikOnder

^^^ I agree and that's why I had to try to reel myself in from a full on derail. In terms of the project being discussed, Aertson (gonna take me a while to get used to typing that), I agree that it is perfectly suitable for it's location. West End has been a high priced area for a long time and one of those areas I only venture into for the usual restaraunt/shopping/exit/inn or park visit, so this project certainly will have it's use to me in that way. My heartstrings just got a good tugging when East Nashville was brought up in the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...

Not to mention that changing from two-way to one-way at West End would make the segment between Church and West End hazardous as hell... there would be a wrong way accident (at least) every week.  Bad idea! Having to go past the Cathedral is really a minor "inconvenience". 

huh?   21st is already one-way between Church and West End.   In fact, it's one-way from Charlotte to Broadway.

Edited by CenterHill

huh?   21st is already one-way between Church and West End.   In fact, it's one-way from Charlotte to Broadway.

You need to go back to the previous comments about making 21st bi-directional from Broadway to West End to understand my comment. 

Edited by MLBrumby

• 3 weeks later...

I was told by a police officer who did security work for a certain country/pop star who lives in the Adelicia  that this person tried to legally stop the Buckingham from being built as to protect their view of the city.

Imagine having that much money that you can afford $6 million dollars worth of condos, one for yourself and one for your personal security, and threaten to try to stop a development to protect your view? How arrogant!

I was told by a police officer who did security work for a certain country/pop star who lives in the Adelicia  that this person tried to legally stop the Buckingham from being built as to protect their view of the city.

Imagine having that much money that you can afford $6 million dollars worth of condos, one for yourself and one for your personal security, and threaten to try to stop a development to protect your view? How arrogant!

The Aertson isn't going to impede the view of the Adelecia downtown, will it?  

Edited by Bezoar

I was told by a police officer who did security work for a certain country/pop star who lives in the Adelicia that this person tried to legally stop the Buckingham from being built as to protect their view of the city.

Taylor Swift being mentioned every time any agent mentioned that building was a downside as far as I was concerned.