Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

Mellow mushroom remaining there is odd to me. It doesn't ever seen busy and there are tons of pizza joints in the area. Seems like it would have been a decent idea to sell and let that land be taken over by this project

Yeah, and I had best go get me some of it (at least for a first time), before it does become too late, since you mentioned it.  I have only "sniffed" and whiffed it from the lunches of co-workers, but I always have dreaded the location (except by bus).

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Pretty sure the Mello Mushroom site is owned by the Lagasse family, which owns the Aertson site.  If I recall correctly the Aertson is getting a 50 year ground lease.  I don't really understand their decision to leave MM there either.

Pretty sure the Mello Mushroom site is owned by the Lagasse family, which owns the Aertson site.  If I recall correctly the Aertson is getting a 50 year ground lease.  I don't really understand their decision to leave MM there either.

I guess they just didn't want to shut it down for a couple of years...but it seems it would have been better to place it on that corner inside the new building instead of what's there now.

• Like 1

Personally, I like that the MM building remains. It's human scale, will mix up the architecture of the block, will keep a small (and decent looking building) to break up the behemoth that will rise. It will keep the corner feeling pedestrian friendly, while also allowing the eye to draw upwards towards the Aertson. I think it's very nice that it stays.

• Like 3

Personally, I like that the MM building remains. It's human scale, will mix up the architecture of the block, will keep a small (and decent looking building) to break up the behemoth that will rise. It will keep the corner feeling pedestrian friendly, while also allowing the eye to draw upwards towards the Aertson. I think it's very nice that it stays.

Agreed.  I don't mind it either.  As long as a building is built up to the street and is pedestrian friendly in the sense that it has it's entrance on the sidewalk, I don't really care what it looks like for the most part.  There are so many other spots developers should be aiming for.

• Like 2

I think MM was the only thing that was really profitable on that block.  I am glad they are keeping it.  Really good pizza, although I haven't been in years.  It was hopping last time I went but maybe the construction has deterred people. Mellow Mushrooms always appear near college campuses.  There is one in Knoxville near UT, one near Clemson and another near MTSU iirc.  And those are only the ones I know of. 

Aertson is coming up pretty fast.  I love that this and Sobro are both above ground.  Give it a couple more weeks and we will start to really see it rise.

There is a Mellow Mushroom in downtown Chattanooga (near the Aquarium) and a new one near Hamilton Place Mall, in a brand new stand alone building with a swoopey roof and Alice In Wonderland theme.  Having grown up near one of the first ones at I-285 and Powers Ferry Road, it had been there since around 1979-80... and yet I don't remember theme to that one.  Pretty sure it's not there anymore. I think it's still the best pie in Chattanooga.. and maybe in Atlanta.  There are so many there now!  Rookzie, if you are a pizza guy, I encourage you to try MM... it's far better than most. 

Now can someone here enlighten me on Soulshine... my wife's sister says it is great... but she has disappointed me in the past. 

• Like 1

There is a Mellow Mushroom in downtown Chattanooga (near the Aquarium) and a new one near Hamilton Place Mall, in a brand new stand alone building with a swoopey roof and Alice In Wonderland theme.  Having grown up near one of the first ones at I-285 and Powers Ferry Road, it had been there since around 1979-80... and yet I don't remember theme to that one.  Pretty sure it's not there anymore. I think it's still the best pie in Chattanooga.. and maybe in Atlanta.  There are so many there now!  Rookzie, if you are a pizza guy, I encourage you to try MM... it's far better than most. 

Now can someone here enlighten me on Soulshine... my wife's sister says it is great... but she has disappointed me in the past. 

Thanks, I had better hit it right soon.

-==-

• Like 1

I have only eaten at Soulshine once, I am not a big pizza person, I only eat it a couple times a year. so when I went there 3 weeks ago I had a sandwich instead, It was delicious, but trying too hard to be too fancy and fell apart way too easy.

"I [myself] only eat it a couple of times a year..." because I have had to join "PizZAnonymous", for my pie addiction.  It's a slippey slope for me, and I have fallen off the wagon, though, now and then, you know...

-==-

I have only eaten at Soulshine once, I am not a big pizza person, I only eat it a couple times a year. so when I went there 3 weeks ago I had a sandwich instead, It was delicious, but trying too hard to be too fancy and fell apart way too easy.

tumblr_ljkgrvQ9yZ1qafrh6.gif

On a related note, I have never been to Soulshine, but I have wanted to for awhile. I guess I just fall for the trap of how easy it is to order from one of the chains near my place (Lenox Village). I do love me some Pie in the Sky, just wish it wasn't so expensive. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I welcomed our second son into the world this month at Vanderbilt, and it was the first time I have been out this way in quite some time. Is it just me or does the foot print for this seem kind of small in comparison to the renderings? Maybe it's just the angle of that sharp curve there where broadway and division meet. At any rate, driving by it, it seemed difficult to visualize a project this big in that spot. I look forward to seeing it completed.

I noticed there's now a Chipotle in that 2 story building next to Mellow Mushroom, which is sweet. On the second floor there used to be a place called Mediterranean Cafe which I remember frequenting often the first couple years I lived up here. They were one of the best and most authentic places for that kind of fare, and once upon a time one of the only places to get Hookah/Nargile before it exploded in popularity.

Does anyone know if the owners moved to a different location, or if they are still in business at all? There used to be an Indian place there near the corner of 21st and Belcourt that we were really bummed to see go a few years ago, as well. 

Mediterranean Cuisine moved downtown in summer of '11 but only lasted a few months I think. I believe the owners now operate in the Village above Pizza Perfect where the old Lone Wolf Tattoo was located. It has the same name, but I'm not sure if it is Sami or different owners. That Indian place might have been another location of Shalimar, but I don't remember. If so, they still have a location in Green Hills. If you're around campus and want Indian, Sitar is still kicking on 21st just north of West End.

• Like 1