Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

• 1 month later...

Wow! I did not even know this one had even started construction. I guess I just assumed it was going to take another year or so haha. 

Out-of-town developer... they mean business when the announce a project.  Full steam ahead for those guys... local yokels take.... um, ten years, or so (not naming anyone... ahem... starts with P, rhymes with "calmer").

This is very Atlantaesque' This will hug the street rather nicely, and since I am in this area once or twice a year, it will be exciting to see the progress only driving by there a couple of times a year.

This one will truly be transformative to its location.   The more I see of it, the more I like it.   

camera07_nashville_fi_05-15-14_1440x598_

• Like 2

The project is wonderful for its density and program but I absolutely hate the design. The mid rise portion looks like every other pseudo traditional 5 story apartment over retail with the red brick and tacked on EIFS cornice to boot. The modern hotel is in total conflict with the high rise residential portion. No attempt was even made to find a unifying design style while still creating the variation along the street. The residential high rise sections have that lick and stick tacked on traditionalist ornamentation without the grandeur of the classic east coast old world buildings it is trying to replicate. There is a way to be referential without being so tacky.

Yes, I've seen the full design. No, my opinion won't matter because all anyone will experience is the excellent retail along the base.

Again, transformative for the neighborhood. Home run density. Bold project. Hate the aesthetic choices.

..like every other pseudo traditional 5 story apartment over retail with the red brick and tacked on EIFS cornice to boot. ...that lick and stick tacked on traditionalist ornamentation without the grandeur of the classic east coast old world buildings it is trying to replicate. There is a way to be referential without being so tacky.

...my opinion won't matter because all anyone will experience is the excellent retail along the base.

Again, transformative for the neighborhood. Home run density. Bold project. Hate the aesthetic choices.

Now that just kills me with laughter ─ yeah, it does ─ and I see that I'm not alone in my perception of sham emulation.  I also I recently spilled out that I always have been a stickler for detail that my peers often dismissed as kooky and nerdy from way back during my old Lego - Lincoln Log days.  Guess I'm just too old school and hard to please, and that's generally the reason that I am reserve to express my sentiment on such things outright (unless prompted), but one only has to come back in 20 years and compare this attempt at classicism with the real things of Richmond, Balto, and even Annapolis, built over a century ago ─ many of which  have become repurposed rather than leveled.  Again as some of our critics would say (and have stated), it's all about ROI that matters to the developer.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

The project is wonderful for its density and program but I absolutely hate the design. The mid rise portion looks like every other pseudo traditional 5 story apartment over retail with the red brick and tacked on EIFS cornice to boot. The modern hotel is in total conflict with the high rise residential portion. No attempt was even made to find a unifying design style while still creating the variation along the street. The residential high rise sections have that lick and stick tacked on traditionalist ornamentation without the grandeur of the classic east coast old world buildings it is trying to replicate. There is a way to be referential without being so tacky.

Yes, I've seen the full design. No, my opinion won't matter because all anyone will experience is the excellent retail along the base.

I've been saying this for a long while about this building: It's Disney architecture.

I was for a long time thinking it'd be just too massive, too, but I may be mistaken on that. Either way, trying to make it look like a mishmash organically developed city block just ends up looking tacky and silly.

That being said, I'm very excited for this project to be finished.

I'm glad you guys feel comfortable sharing your opinions on here.

Valid points all the way around, and I think we can all appreciate that you're happy to see this project going up even if you're not a huge fan of the architecture. I think that's something we all need to feel like we can do around here... Disagreeing with one aspect of the project doesn't mean you're all doom-and-gloom "tear it down!" about it.

Well done.

A few details about the 21st Avenue-Broadway-Division Street Intersection and Pedestrian Enhancement Project across from the Aertson.  Improvements to the intersection include:

• Closing the existing Division Street slip lane at 21st Avenue.
  • Modifying the existing island to construct a right-turn lane from 21st Avenue onto Division Street.
  • Installing pedestrian crossings and a traffic signal at the intersection of Broadway and Division Street and new pedestrian crossings and a traffic signal at the intersection of 21st Avenue and Broadway.
  • Realigning the intersection of 21st Avenue and Broadway to improve pedestrian safety and vehicle operations.
  • Adding two landscaped areas at the realigned 21st Avenue.
  • MTA enhancement of the transit stop at the new 21st Avenue/Broadway intersection.
  • Rebuilding the existing traffic signals at 21st and Grand avenues as well as 21st Avenue and Scarritt Place.
Edited by Bezoar
  • Like 3

I'm glad you guys feel comfortable sharing your opinions on here.

Valid points all the way around, and I think we can all appreciate that you're happy to see this project going up even if you're not a huge fan of the architecture. I think that's something we all need to feel like we can do around here... Disagreeing with one aspect of the project doesn't mean you're all doom-and-gloom "tear it down!" about it.

Well done.

I am glad its happening, but I rarely drive this far out in the country to see it when its finished. I get lost in rural areas. I'll stick with the CBD.

• Like 1

I am glad its happening, but I rarely drive this far out in the country to see it when its finished. I get lost in rural areas. I'll stick with the CBD.

I see what you did there... Lots of country folk around these parts.

i-see-what-you-did-there_o_514831.gif

• 2 weeks later...