Aertson Midtown (Buckingham) | 13 Fl Residential | 17 fl Kimpton Hotel | T/O

barakat

Yup, you got it. If you check page 1 there are a few images which should help and show that spot exactly. Unless those didn't help? Don't worry, I get confused a lot too, especially with all these announcements and changeovers of properties lately!!

Thanks. Lord, we are already at 3 pages on this one!

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a few more renderings on this site with proposed traffic flow and floor plan

http://www.leainc.co...evelopment.html

These renderings seem to indicate a pretty radical revision of that whole Broadway/21s/Division intersection. Is it me or will that involve actually T-ing off some of those intersections in addition to adding at least 2 more traffic lights? And as some of us have discussed, these renderings show something like an actual park on the west side of 21st, which suggests that the developers or someone will buy those parking lots and convert them into an actual park space.

I'm all for density, but my fear is that this development will totally overpower that corner both in terms of scale and detail. On the plus side, I am happy about the alley improvements (if for no other reason that service bays) and that the proposed entrance for the parking garage will be on 20th Ave South and not on 21st/Breadway. That may actually help out Boundry/South Street and some of the other restaurants nearby, too, in terms of providing parking options for those who do not live in the area.

Then again, it could end up being faster to walk to this area from other parts of town (Green Hills?) than to get through all of those traffic signals!

I have the same reservations about this, bwithers. That intersection will become a nightmare at rush hour if they put up traffic lights. For some reason I'm still not sold on the sheer scale of the project either. I'm not as reluctant as I once was, but there is still something nagging me about a massive building like this in that spot.

I'm guessing that is just for the aesthetics of the renderings.

You're probably right, but honestly, why bother? If they are going to do renderings showing surroundings, why not draw the renderings with something like the actual surroundings, even if those are sketched out?

This rendering seems like a building that would be in Chicago on Lake Shore Drive across from Lincoln Park and Lake Michigan. It could be great in Nashville if it were near some green open space. If this complex were going in across the street from Centennial Park or something, it would be great. Put it where the HCA headquarters are now and I would be ecstatic.

Time will tell if the scale of the building or the traffic configuration get changed with the public hearings that will result if this proposal goes through the planning commission. Those intersection and alley improvements will go to the Traffic & Parking Commission. Maybe with some public feedback, a bit of a compromise can be reached that is beneficial to all.

I really like the density, and the setback with the two "facades" makes the building less imposing. Also, I think it was mentioned here that because it's a curve back or away instead of a curve inward, that lessens the canyon effect.

As for the green... I think having the Vandy campus right across the street actually is that green, parklike space. Plus, I really like that the height and density are spreading from West End Avenue and moving to adjacent streets.

I think the scale is perfect for the site, the existing 1-story development looks kind of junky and small. According to the website it's only 208 apartments, so I think the drawing makes it seem a bit bigger than it is. And as for what's across the street in the drawings, I don't think most architectural drawings accurately reflect the surroundings. The pictures of Hensler's new building posit a flat expanse in front where there is in fact a steep hill.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of whining about traffic at the hearings, since most people in Nashville think the answer to traffic is to move things really far apart so everyone has to drive more, but I'm not sure this porposal wouldn't improve traffic in the area. Those oddly angled roads are a mess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From their website:

Masonry:

1. Base bid to be brick and stone up to level 2 with stucco above level 2.

2. Alt #1 to be brick and stone up to level 2, brick and fiber cement trim from level 2 to level 6

and stucco above level 6.

3. Alt #2 to be brick and stone up to level 2, brick and fiber cement trim above level 2.

That just sounds lovely...

I couldn't find details to confirm, but I believe all of the residential patios are going to be very shallow. The patio doors swing in, which makes me think the patio is too shallow for a half doors depth. Sad. Why even install patios.

Sounds very French. I stayed in a hotel like that in Paris.

What is the cost difference between stucco and higher end materials? While the higher end materials may look better, I can't imagine it would add much value or revenue to the development. If that's the case, then why would a developer use more expensive materials?

It depends. Higher valued structure, better look, classier, certain design guidelines don't allow stucco, etc.