Hole in the Wall Food Joints

The purpose of this thread is to hip others on this message board of a "Hole in the Wall" resturant that you think has good food. It can be a small chain, it can be a some what nice place, I guess it depends on your opinion of what a hole in the wall is. Basically a place that the majority of people might past by but never eat at due to location or other things for that matter.

To keep the post short and sweet please list one resturant per post and one item you like from there menu. Locations are also helpfull.

Dominic's Of New York - Philly Cheese Steak (W. Sugar Creek @ I-85 Service Rd)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The purpose of this thread is to hip others on this message board of a "Hole in the Wall" resturant that you think has good food. It can be a small chain, it can be a some what nice place, I guess it depends on your opinion of what a hole in the wall is. Basically a place that the majority of people might past by but never eat at due to location or other things for that matter.

To keep the post short and sweet please list one resturant per post and one item you like from there menu. Locations are also helpfull.

Dominic's Of New York - Philly Cheese Steak (W. Sugar Creek @ I-85 Service Rd)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is not exactly a hole in the wall, but has great Cajun/Soul food. The House of Jazz. It's right on Church and 2nd. Not bad price for lunch either. It is fairly new as it replace Papa Gallo's Itallian restraunt. Great Jazz as well.(played there Wed-Sat nights)

:thumbsup:

Nickle City Grill. It's located in Cherry. There's no place to sit, take out only, and it's slow, since the food is made to order. However it is good. Either call in your order or plan to spend a few more minutes than you would at your regular fast food chains.

john's country kitchen located @central and thomas ave. great breakfast like mom's used to make. moderation, my friends.... moderation.

lang van @ eastway and shamrock is by far the bestest asian (vietnamese) cuisine for my buck. their food is so fresh and good it warms the soul. highly recommended!

Ho Ho's on Lombary Circle in Dilworth.  It looks like a house so most people never see it.  It has the best Chinese in center city area.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how do I get there. I love Chinese.... :D

Ho Ho's is just off East, so heading towards Kings, turn onto Lombardy Cir. on the left (the first intersection with Lombardy....it loops around).....Ho Ho's is the 2nd drive on the left. It looks like a house and has a small sign in the front yard.

Mel's Housesteak @ Mel's is a helluva' sandwich. It is in Latta Arcade Dtwn. It rocks. Get extra napkins while consuming. The place is a literal dump. They only take cash (so don't bring plastic), and are only open during the week for the uptown lunch crowd, but man, it really is great !!!

There are a number of these type of places in Charlotte. Ones that come to mind are The Piedmont, Athens, The Landmark, The Plantation (pre 2000s), San Remos, The Eclipse Cafe and of course the Copal Grill which is shown here.

The Copal Grill is famous for another reason, as it made an appearance in an MTV video. It is slated for destruction if they ever build the road (now on hold) that will directly connect the airport to I-85.

copalgrill.jpg

There are a number of these type of places in Charlotte.  Ones that come to mind are The Piedmont, Athens, The Landmark, The Plantation (pre 2000s), San Remos, The Eclipse Cafe and of course the Copal Grill which is shown here.

The Copal Grill is famous for another reason, as it made an appearance in an MTV video.  It is slated for destruction if they ever build the road (now on hold) that will directly connect the airport to I-85. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What video?

Basil's Restaurant

Great place for southern home cooking and a great breakfast on Sat or Sun AM.... very similar to Athens but without the scary folks.

Link

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I fear I have been one of those scary folks...nothing like the Athens at 4am when you've had one or seven too many. Truth be known, the woman with the moustache working the register is scarier than the patrons, though.

Archived