Hole in the Wall Food Joints

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... good topic! Miguel's in west Charlotte. Its litterally a hole in the wall place. Its a tiny little Mexican place located off of the 85 service road at Little Rock. Its almost impossible to find and get to if you don't know where you are going. They have lunch specials every day for under five bucks and dinner specials every night for about seven bucks. The food is truly authentic Mexican food, better than some of the places I've been to out in LA that are way more expensive. I go there all the time because its a great bargain and a great deal. The neighborhood isn't the greatest, but its definitely not the worst. Saturday night they have pitchers of margarita's for like 11 bucks that will knock you down if you drink it solo. The best way to get there is to take 85 to Little Rock and head North towards the Hardee's thats right there. Turn into the Hardee's parking lot and behind the drive thru is an entrance to a back road. Turn left on that back road and it will be just around the bend on your right. Gravel parking, tiny place, phenominal food, and a great price. Its definitely the best little hole in the wall in Charlotte that I've found.

Mai's is a killer sushi place on South Blvd (a little south of Tyvola). It looks kind of sketchy from the outside but it's very cool inside. The sushi is the best I've had in Charlotte.

For the non sushi eaters, they also offer cooked Japanese dishes too.

Mai's is a killer sushi place on South Blvd (a little south of Tyvola).  It looks kind of sketchy from the outside but it's very cool inside.  The sushi is the best I've had in Charlotte.

For the non sushi eaters, they also offer cooked Japanese dishes too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

mushahi's rocks as well as Nikkito's on south

:D

• 7 months later...

I went to the Kopper Kettle down on Nations Ford and had some pretty good friend chicken. I got funny looks being the only northerner in the place. :D

It was an old run down type place built with cinder blocks, but it was packed.

How did they know you were a northerner?

Try the Chicken Box on North Tryon at Craighead. The chicken is great but the fried pork chops are the best I've had since moving here. Also, you can feel your teeth rotting while drinking the sweet tea because it's by far the sweetest in the city if not the world!

That place does smell good when you drive by.

It's just a regular ol' greasy spoon kind of place -- but Hugos' Diner on South Blvd (a little farther down from Skyland, on the other side) is open very late, like 2 am or so.

So if you want a gyro instead of Wendy's chili at that hour, it's an option.

• 4 weeks later...

Suruchi's is not a bad Indian joint. It's in an undecorated space on Church street near Trade. Meals are around 50 cents more than the Indian place inside the Ivey's, and they are a little spicier and more authentic. (I am getting kinda tired of how oily the food is at the Ivey's one.)

Check it out, and it will also give you an excuse to walk by Trademark and see the construction progress there.

Archived