Hole in the Wall Food Joints

That's right. Actually several Wilkinson Blvd. shots in the video, as well as the Wilkinson exit sign at I-77. I remember hearing Hootie & the Blowfish talking about the video at the time. They wanted a run-down, industrial, sad sort of look. Well they certainly achieved that by filming on Wilkinson Boulevard!

Speaking of......The Ranch House on that very road, not far from Copal Grill. Great place for steaks in a cheesy, stuck-in-time sort of steakhouse atmosphere....right down to the wagon wheel chandeliers and red velvet curtains (which I doubt have been opened since the 1950s). Gotta try the shrimp cocktail....it's awesome.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, this is hole in the wall.

Take Central Ave out from town, and on the right (somewhere) is a Lebanese market. It has a faded blue awning/sign on the top that looks pretty old. And there's a Central American restaurant right next to it.

Although it's a market, they do serve hot food. It's kind of weird, you go to the cash register in the market side, order there, and then you can either walk to the "restaurant" side behind a wall (there's a bunch of tables) or take your food to go.

So if you get tired of the Middle Eastern place on Independence/Sharon Amity, this is an alternative.

There is another Middle eastern place even more hole-in-the-wall than this one on Monroe -- but I didn't like the food there.

OK, this is hole in the wall.

Take Central Ave out from town, and on the right (somewhere) is a Lebanese market. It has a faded blue awning/sign on the top that looks pretty old. And there's a Central American restaurant right next to it.

Although it's a market, they do serve hot food. It's kind of weird, you go to the cash register in the market side, order there, and then you can either walk to the "restaurant" side behind a wall (there's a bunch of tables) or take your food to go.

So if you get tired of the Middle Eastern place on Independence/Sharon Amity, this is an alternative.

There is another Middle eastern place even more hole-in-the-wall than this one on Monroe -- but I didn't like the food there.

• 1 month later...

My mother and I were having lunch today and were talking about Rye bread which sparked her memory of a great Jewish deli she used to go to often, near or in downtown, said it was in a dump of a building, but could not remember the name or exact location. Not sure if it has been mentioned here already or if it no longer exists, as we don't know the name, does this sound familiar?

My mother and I were having lunch today and were talking about Rye bread which sparked her memory of a great Jewish deli she used to go to often, near or in downtown, said it was in a dump of a building, but could not remember the name or exact location. Not sure if it has been mentioned here already or if it no longer exists, as we don't know the name, does this sound familiar?

^ Thank you, fulcrum, I will ask her tomorrow. You are probably right about this based on the fact we lived off of Albemarle, and took Independence to get most places, including where she worked downtown, so sounds like it would be a place along her route.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody ever been to Dino's? It's a breakfast and lunch place on Sugar Creek Rd just east of where it intersects with North Tryon. They've been open for about 20 years, and by the looks of things the menu, decor, and waitstaff have reamined unchanged during that time. Kinda smoky, but a good place for a cheap breakfast--a short stack with bacon is $4.05.

Lupie's on Monroe Rd. -- Feels like a hole in the wall, acts like a hole in the wall, feeds you about 3 times what you can eat in one sitting and it's ALL good!

Green's Lunch on 4th St. uptown -- No plastic accepted, the place is 80 years old and doesn't look like it's ever been remodeled, the hot dogs and burgers are definitely the best in uptown... probably the best in the city (and it's cheap as hell).

Luv B's on Shamrock -- Last I heard they were thinking about closing this place, but it was right up there with Green's in the "best hot dog" category. An authentic hole-in-the-wall diner if there ever was one.

• 4 months later...

Bombay Cuisine in the Ivey's food court has "For Lease" signs up.... It may not be a big favorite among forumers, but I have eaten there at least once a week for a long time. It's quick and fairly priced food.

• 1 month later...

So today I went to Greens Lunch, a wonderful place I had not heard of until I picked up a coupon for it in my uptown charlotte magazine. I see it is mentioned 3 posts above and found out it was pretty well known, speaking that my ninety year old grandmother, ten years its senior, has eaten there more than a handfull of times. I must say they have phenomenal hotdogs, they are prepared perfectly and I was treated to the least messy chile dog I've ever had. Not to mention the price for 3 people (5 hot dogs, two drinks, a tossed salad, and some fries) was only 14 dollars. Great times.

• 4 months later...
Johnny Burrito has opened a new location in University on Mallard Creek Church Road. I don't know why it isn't on their website yet. It happens to be very close to my place of work so I am happy about it. :) Plus it is open nights and weekends, unlike the downtown location.

That should be read "weekend" as it is closed on Sunday apparently. My wife and I were in the area this past Sunday and thought we might check it out for lunch only to be greeted with lights out and a sign on the door that stated it was open Monday through Saturday.

I wish the Mother's that was on the Archdale and South was still in business. Too bad it closed down 5 or so years ago because it was bought out to make way for parking spots for the light rail. It was my favorite hole in the wall food joint. It was smokey frequented by bikers, office workers, and anyone else you can think of. Lots of pool tables filled with pool sharks and the like. For me, the only reason I even hung out there was for the wings. It had the best wings in town at the time. They were big and juicy. I miss that place.

Archived