The Milk District

RedStar25

Who knew? I just wish T.G. Lee would put the cow back on their roof.

http://www.themilkdistrict.com/

I prefer to call it Hipsterville!

I drive through the "Milk District" almost every day. There's a solid mix of businesses there, and it's hopping every Tuesday night for "Tasty Tuesdays" (the weekly food truck rally).

At some point, it would serve the city well to make some improvements to parking, sidewalks and signage. Not just for this district, but for the parks that are in the area too (city skate park, city beach volleyball court, community garden, the trail that runs along Crystal Lake, etc.).

Yeah, not really my part of town. Has that hipster vibe that teeters on douchebaggery, but I like the idea of the culture. I have some really good friends who spend a lot of time over there. Of course, I don't mean to imply that the core has any better ratio of douche bags to people I like. The core is probably far worse. There's just something about hipsters ... like the polar opposite of the clubbing crowd. Somewhere in the middle, there's a chill bar without crazy loud music, the beers are good, the people are relaxed and the average jean size matches the average waste size ...

Sportstown is awesome, though. I haven't made it over there in a while.

• 2 years later...

Today, Orlando Philharmonic announced the beginning its first stage of renovations to The Plaza Live Theatre (along with a number of sizable new gifts.)  

The first stage of renovations, a 6-month project estimated at $2.5 million, will transform the smaller of the building’s two existing theaters into an acoustically sound rehearsal hall and multi-use performance space. The orchestra is also expanding the building to include a new box office, administrative offices, dressing rooms and sheet music library. The Plaza Live will remain open for events throughout the renovations, and the Philharmonic plans to move its operations into The Plaza Live later this year.

Renovations to the building’s lobby, exterior and main theater will come next. The budget and timeline for the second stage of renovations is still being finalized. 

plaza-before.jpg

Current Building

plaza-after.jpg

With Renovations

14107-Orlando-Philharmonic-Plaza-Live-Ex

plazalive-floorplan-3-additions.jpg

plazalive-renovation-stage2.jpg

• Like 4

That's a pretty nice transformation. Looks great.

Yeah, not really my part of town. Has that hipster vibe that teeters on douchebaggery, but I like the idea of the culture. I have some really good friends who spend a lot of time over there. Of course, I don't mean to imply that the core has any better ratio of douche bags to people I like. The core is probably far worse. There's just something about hipsters ... like the polar opposite of the clubbing crowd. Somewhere in the middle, there's a chill bar without crazy loud music, the beers are good, the people are relaxed and the average jean size matches the average waste size ...

Sportstown is awesome, though. I haven't made it over there in a while.

Apparently I really didn't like hipsters in 2012. Haha.

• Like 1

It would be great to see the city begin some improvements to the streets in this area (Bumby, Robinson, Jefferson, Primrose, etc.). Landscaping, traffic calming and better lighting would make this area more friendly for pedestrians.

I used to live on Jefferson between Bumby and Primrose without a car -- sidewalks would be a great start!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Does anyone know what's moving in to the building on the corner of Bumby and Robinson? This is the building that, most recently, has held a variety of churches even though the storefront clearly was retail at some point.

There have been some fairly substantial renovations inside as well as upgrades to the exterior. Also seems to be a patio space added to the section between the front structure and the rear facing Bumby.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, orlandoguy said:

Does anyone know what's moving in to the building on the corner of Bumby and Robinson? This is the building that, most recently, has held a variety of churches even though the storefront clearly was retail at some point.

There have been some fairly substantial renovations inside as well as upgrades to the exterior. Also seems to be a patio space added to the section between the front structure and the rear facing Bumby.

Last I looked (when Artegon closed), the front and back part of the middle were for lease, with the middle currently occupied. I assumed the owner was fixing it up to make it more attractive to potential business?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smileguy said:

Last I looked (when Artegon closed), the front and back part of the middle were for lease, with the middle currently occupied. I assumed the owner was fixing it up to make it more attractive to potential business?

The realtor is going to move into the middle, but he's still deciding on what will go on either end. They're demo'ing that little building to the south to make more parking too. It's a really interesting project that could have been a bit more impressive but they streamlined the concept to exclude a second story. This was an original concept that Interstruct drew up for it. 

bumby-view-2-1024x682.jpg

Edited by UngaBungalow
  • Like 2