Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedStar25

The Milk District

22 posts in this topic

Who knew? I just wish T.G. Lee would put the cow back on their roof.

http://www.themilkdistrict.com/

I prefer to call it Hipsterville!

I drive through the "Milk District" almost every day. There's a solid mix of businesses there, and it's hopping every Tuesday night for "Tasty Tuesdays" (the weekly food truck rally).

At some point, it would serve the city well to make some improvements to parking, sidewalks and signage. Not just for this district, but for the parks that are in the area too (city skate park, city beach volleyball court, community garden, the trail that runs along Crystal Lake, etc.).

I call it Cancerville, every bar there is covered with cigarette smokes.

BTW, I didnt see Sportstown bar in the homepage?

I call it Cancerville, every bar there is covered with cigarette smokes.

Hipsters are too cool for cancer.

BTW, I didnt see Sportstown bar in the homepage?

My guess is that the businesses were asked to pay into the collective and they probably didn't feel they need it. They kinda hold their own.

Yeah, not really my part of town. Has that hipster vibe that teeters on douchebaggery, but I like the idea of the culture. I have some really good friends who spend a lot of time over there. Of course, I don't mean to imply that the core has any better ratio of douche bags to people I like. The core is probably far worse. There's just something about hipsters ... like the polar opposite of the clubbing crowd. Somewhere in the middle, there's a chill bar without crazy loud music, the beers are good, the people are relaxed and the average jean size matches the average waste size ...

Sportstown is awesome, though. I haven't made it over there in a while.

Agree, aside from the heavy smoke clouds, the drinks there are really cheap ($2 amber bock!). Just be sure to bring cash, because they have a $2 surcharge if you use credit cards to pay.

Hipsters has cancer before cancer went all mainstream.

1 person likes this

Today, Orlando Philharmonic announced the beginning its first stage of renovations to The Plaza Live Theatre (along with a number of sizable new gifts.)  

The first stage of renovations, a 6-month project estimated at $2.5 million, will transform the smaller of the building’s two existing theaters into an acoustically sound rehearsal hall and multi-use performance space. The orchestra is also expanding the building to include a new box office, administrative offices, dressing rooms and sheet music library. The Plaza Live will remain open for events throughout the renovations, and the Philharmonic plans to move its operations into The Plaza Live later this year.

Renovations to the building’s lobby, exterior and main theater will come next. The budget and timeline for the second stage of renovations is still being finalized. 

plaza-before.jpg

Current Building

plaza-after.jpg

With Renovations

14107-Orlando-Philharmonic-Plaza-Live-Ex

plazalive-floorplan-3-additions.jpg

plazalive-renovation-stage2.jpg

4 people like this

That looks awesome! What a great re-use of an existing building. I think the Plaza has become a really interesting venue. It has a great mix of acts.

That's a pretty nice transformation. Looks great.

Yeah, not really my part of town. Has that hipster vibe that teeters on douchebaggery, but I like the idea of the culture. I have some really good friends who spend a lot of time over there. Of course, I don't mean to imply that the core has any better ratio of douche bags to people I like. The core is probably far worse. There's just something about hipsters ... like the polar opposite of the clubbing crowd. Somewhere in the middle, there's a chill bar without crazy loud music, the beers are good, the people are relaxed and the average jean size matches the average waste size ...

Sportstown is awesome, though. I haven't made it over there in a while.

Apparently I really didn't like hipsters in 2012. Haha.

1 person likes this

You were hating on hipsters way before it was cool to hate on hipsters.

It's always been cool to hate on hipsters.

Thanks for the renderings.  I didn't realize how significant this renovation was going to be.  It looks completely transformed from a "hipsterish" place to a kind of classy establishment.  Very nice that they got rid of the parking lot.  Parking lots are so 20th century. 

It's going to look like a small airport now.  I think a small water fountain in the middle of the roundabout would be nicer.  I just see weeds growing in about 5 years.

I must be confused. Isn't the Orlando Philharmonic eventually going to play in Phase II of the DPC? Seems like a lot of money to spend on a temporary home.

I'm thinking it's more like a rehersal hall and smaller shows, much like the bsllet's new home in Lockhaven. I could be wrong.

I'm thinking it's more like a rehersal hall and smaller shows, much like the bsllet's new home in Lockhaven. I could be wrong.

You're not.

It would be great to see the city begin some improvements to the streets in this area (Bumby, Robinson, Jefferson, Primrose, etc.). Landscaping, traffic calming and better lighting would make this area more friendly for pedestrians.

It would be great to see the city begin some improvements to the streets in this area (Bumby, Robinson, Jefferson, Primrose, etc.). Landscaping, traffic calming and better lighting would make this area more friendly for pedestrians.

I used to live on Jefferson between Bumby and Primrose without a car -- sidewalks would be a great start!