The Milk District

RedStar25

52 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Some updates along Bumby in the Milk District and now on the other end across Lake Como we now have (ummmm, are you ready?).... The Hourglass District!

From Orlando Weekly:

http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/05/22/foxtail-coffee-co-and-tamale-co-coming-to-the-new-hourglass-district

While I'm not wild about another district, I am excited to see this area start to get some attention. It's been flying under the radar for a while now. But this stretch of Curry Ford has been doing pretty well attracting local restaurants, bars, breweries and even some retail. The Winn Dixie shopping center at Curry Ford and Crystal Lake is hopping on weekend nights.

These new developments are a great addition, and can't wait to return to the Irish pub in its new digs.

• Like 1

I have no real preference either way.   The area has gotten some coupes in Pizza Bruno, Zara's, Ocean Sun Brewing, JJs Grille, La Fiesta and now Foxtail.  But even that is a mega sized area from Crystal Lake to Bumby.  Hardly walkable on distance alone (comfortable walking not exercise) let alone the built environment.   I think how much these spots could have spiced up Milk or SoDo but cest la vie.    I'll shop on Curry Ford but I don't think I'll ever linger there and probably will drive to get in and out.

• Like 1

Some updates along Bumby in the Milk District and now on the other end across Lake Como we now have (ummmm, are you ready?).... The Hourglass District!
From Orlando Weekly:
http://m.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2017/05/22/foxtail-coffee-co-and-tamale-co-coming-to-the-new-hourglass-district

I live in this neighborhood and love the idea of businesses like Foxtail coming in. I wonder, though, how this is going to jive with the local merchants' attempt to get the Curry Ford West Main Street District up and running. Unintentional "dual branding" could be confusing for others. It's a shame these developers couldn't work with that designation to keep things consistent. Plus it's not like Hourglass Lake is some kind of local landmark.

Regardless, I'm glad to see new businesses coming in!
  • Like 1

I'd proceed with caution.    Wasn't this going to be Kaley Park last year because another developer felt like calling it that?

There's a growing number of places to spend a buck but a "place" should be more than the sum of its parts.

And for that matter, have you seen the new "pool of residential" on Bumby going up?  What a missed opportunity.   As anti-bungalow as one can build.

• Like 1

Yeah I'll wait to see how it shapes up before I'm all in on another "district".

That said, I dig La Fiesta. Been there a bunch of times. They recently relocated across Curry Ford and into the Winn Dixie strip. Much more seating, nice build out, definitely a step up. If you like Mexican, check 'em out. 

• Like 2

Don't forget Theo's Kitchen, China Star (which I think is easily one of the top places in town for chinese take out), and Rogue Pub. The area is great, looking forward to the Cottage. Hourglass district does have more attractive themeing possibilities than Kaley Park or Curry Ford West District. 

• Like 1

I went to the launch of that district.  They were toying with the name Curry Ford West.  I personally was pushing Crystal Lake Heights.   The issue with this district though its its not really friendly to being walkable.  Its not like the milk district or Mills/50, most of these areas are shopping centers.

• Like 2

Agreed.  It's only 1.5 miles from Pipers on the far east end at Conway to Bumby.  But everything just feels so unwalkable because of the environment.  I have a lot of friends that have already moved or are moving to that area because of the convenient amenities, but you're still pretty car dependent.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UngaBungalow said:

With the available pool of residential right there, developing that stretch into more of a cool node is really exciting. If it's done well, it could be a real game changer for that area. It makes me want to absorb it into our coverage area. 

Please do! There are some 1920s/'30s houses hidden in there that would qualify it as a bungalow neighborhood ;-)

One potential struggle I see is the division of City vs. County limits. It's a little hard to tell, but in the map below, gray = City and tan = County. It would be hard to make a cohesive CRA or Main Street District along that stretch. 

Hourglass.thumb.PNG.7e47033a778aea948db90e8a22b9bc0c.PNG

However, there are a ton of apartments close-by, specifically on Curry Ford before Semoran and south of Conway Plaza. A revamped street with some wide sidewalks, bike infrastructure, and bus shelters would do wonders here. The road setup right now isn't that different from Mills50, especially on the western side. 

• Like 2

I've lived in the same house in this area (between Curry Ford and Michigan, west of Crystal Lake) since 1994. The immediate neighborhood has definitely improved. We built new back then on an empty lot where the house had burned down, and since the majority of the properties near us have been renovated. (It's my house's time I guess.)

I think the commercial aspect is getting better too. Regarding the city vs county limits for which I am two blocks from the city, I always found it humorous the the bus stops on Curry Ford near Conway are of the permanent type but the ones closer to downtown in my section are just a bench, like the one near Wawa.

I'm looking forward to seeing what improvements overall are in store for the area.

3 hours ago, codypet said:

I went to the launch of that district.  They were toying with the name Curry Ford West.  I personally was pushing Crystal Lake Heights.   The issue with this district though its its not really friendly to being walkable.  Its not like the milk district or Mills/50, most of these areas are shopping centers.

These areas aren't particularly pedestrian friendly either. Mills especially. Very little shade and a NASCAR race running down the middle of it.

Milk is a little better. Robinson improvements could go a long way to improving that strip.

• Like 1

I spoke with them today after reading the weekly article and found out some new stuff: 

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-23%2Bat%2B3.37.07%2BPM.png
Farmers Market - The car wash at 2416 Curry Ford Road (MAP) sits in front of 3/4 acre of open space which will be transformed into a gathering space and play host to a farmers market. The car wash will be turned into another seating and lounging area. The house on that 3/4 acre will either be re-habbed into studio apartments or torn down to make more room for the gathering space. After the tenants move out in June an inspection will be done and a determination will be made then. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-23%2Bat%2B3.10.45%2BPM.png
Full-Service Gas station - The existing gas station retail shop in the Hourglass Market building will close but the pumps will remain in operation. Guests will be treated to the full-service gas station treatment like in the past. They said folks will be able to have their gas pumped for them and windows washed while they pop inside the Hourglass Market for a coffee and snack. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-23%2Bat%2B2.57.39%2BPM.png
Lunch Restaurant - A regional lunch chain restaurant is currently in talks to take over the former Tonys Auto Repair building at 1501 S. Bumby Ave (MAP)

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-23%2Bat%2B3.05.57%2BPM.png
Peppinos Woodfire Pizza  - The former Latin Grill at 2420 Curry Ford (MAP) will beome Peppinos Woodfire Pizza (Facebook). Chef Pietro Priola has owned restaurants in Maryland and currently owns a food truck named Peppinos Woodfire Pizza out of Clermont. The restaurant will offer calzone, gourmet pizza, homemade breads and more. 

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-23%2Bat%2B3.42.54%2BPM.png
Brewery - No tenant has been found yet but the goal of the owner is to convert the 2,800 church building on the right into a brewery. The shopping center has an additional 1,600 sq ft for retail. 
  • Like 2

You snobs need to take it down a notch. I wish I could afford a house with a one car garage in Orlando.  I already had one taken from me on short sale elsewhere.

No offense personally, I tend to agree with you all usually, but geez, can't have good taste and cheap local exurbs at the same time! 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1