The Milk District

RedStar25

7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

There was a building there that burned about a decade ago.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2005-02-27/news/0502250558_1_elijah-commercial-buildings-history-center

From the Sentinel

Here's a pic in which you can see the facade from the north looking South....

64aaa92ed2709c17f277deb8a202a260.jpg

I'm not sure, but I might have a printed magazine or newspaper photo of the Pine Street side with the mural.

I'll look for it a little later.

• Like 1

Southern Music, the big deal of Orlando music stores until the chains took over, was in that building. The chains were mostly replaced by the internet but Park Ave CDs lives on!

I also like that you can see First National Bank under construction in the pic, which would make it 1958 or 1959. That building later got absorbed into SunTrust Center and is where Wahlburgers is at.

• Like 1

I'm surprised that lot at Pine has sat empty all these years. There was a proposal several years ago to build a 4-5 story building there - I'm not sure what happened to that (although the design wasn't appropriate for Orange, so maybe we are better off waiting for something more appropriate to pull that corner back together).  I believe that proposal pre-dated the ARB.

43 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Actually it is south. Dickson and Ives is on the west side of the street; Ivey's is on the east. I think what throws it off is the Metcalf Bldg which at first glance looks like the Angebilt.

Wow - thanks!  That's exactly what got me.

Back to food trucks, that food truck lot looks amaaaaazing. I think it will be mind-numbingly successful. A bar, kids area, shaded seating, rotation of trucks... It's a hangout. It's gonna be gold. And I agree with whoever said it: the street food scene got a bad rap once a lot of crap trucks came in and offered poor quality and high prices and no real meaningful connection to the orlando food scene and the restauranteurs helping to make it awesome. Now many (not all!!) are just showing up to events and serving their $8 lunch menu for $12.. When you disrespect your guests they won't return. I've seen it month after month in Orlando. I think the scene can bring back burned-out fed up customers, but it will take the industry taking a hard look at the food that's being served and the prices being charged and making sure a good value is bring presented. Or they'll just go to this awesome food truck lot and the events will disappear for good. Either way, the guests have to come first. Learning that potentially a bit too late. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I'm surprised that lot at Pine has sat empty all these years. There was a proposal several years ago to build a 4-5 story building there - I'm not sure what happened to that (although the design wasn't appropriate for Orange, so maybe we are better off waiting for something more appropriate to pull that corner back together).  I believe that proposal pre-dated the ARB.

I've been depressed for years when it became apparent we weren't getting the building with the slide there *sigh*.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, codypet said:

I was in Austin last week where a friend of my wife worked at a bar made of containers.  I thought it was a great idea for that spot until a time where something more permanent could go up.

Speaking of food trucks and Austin, I just ran across this by accident...

• 3 months later...

Talked to the bar tender at Southern Craft and he said the concept will be kind of like a dive bar where you can play games a la Sportstown without the pool tables.  He also said the other half of Khontour that wasn't occupied as part of Southern Craft will remain empty.

Meanwhile the owner of All Creatures Pet Grooming is still beside herself over the theft of her mascot.  Another day for the Almond Milk District :wacko:

Edited by codypet

• 2 weeks later...

So it's happening... Colonial Lanes closes next week, ostensibly for a "remodel" but with no return date or really much info  about what's happening.

Given what we've heard before, it's probably best not to hold your breath waiting to roll 300 anytime soon.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/05/15/colonial-lanes-is-closing-next-week-for-a-major-remodel?media=AMP+HTML

From Orlando Weekly

A friend was there recently and they told her it would be turned into something more like Ferkin & Kegler (almost as bad a name as Garp & Fuss) over in Waterford Lakes. I wonder if they'll use the extra space for a dining and/or arcade area.

Also, everyone—including Orlando Weekly—keeps implying that the new owners are ruining a 1959 gem. I think somebody here mentioned the whole thing was already gutted in the late '80s?

1 hour ago, alex said:

A friend was there recently and they told her it would be turned into something more like Ferkin & Kegler (almost as bad a name as Garp & Fuss) over in Waterford Lakes. I wonder if they'll use the extra space for a dining and/or arcade area.

Also, everyone—including Orlando Weekly—keeps implying that the new owners are ruining a 1959 gem. I think somebody here mentioned the whole thing was already gutted in the late '80s?

It has a VERY 90's interior.