The Milk District

RedStar25

14 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I suspected that would be the case. It wasn't like at Colonial Plaza where you could just take a 60-year old big box and convert it to a similar (retail) purpose. Their intentional vagueness also did not bode well.

So a unique, if tattered, period structure with a great consumer use will be replaced by a sterile box of boxes dedicated to mindless overconsumption (see Suze Orman.) This is the stereotype of Orlando we hate made true.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 3

It's a shame that parcel couldn't have been (or just wasn't) zoned solely for retail, restaurant or entertainment use.

What a wasted use of a great location.

We should send the owners nasty letters. Wouldn't do any good but would probably make one feel better.

• Like 2

There's already a Public Storage facility across the street and plans for another self storage development at the corner of Colonial & Magnolia. I'm surprised there aren't any zoning restrictions that would limit the number of storage facilities within X miles of each other.

It's not that they are so objectionable in and of themselves, it's just that they just sit there and generate nothing in the way of activity or atmosphere. Dead space.

I didn't mind the idea of a remodelled bowling alley on the bottom with public storage above or some other configuration of the two.

But just storage and nothing else sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've never had a storage unit, never owned a gun (other than the Daisy my brother gave me for Christmas when I was 12) and Ford sees no use for me as a customer any longer after driving their products most of my life because I don't want a truck or SUV.

Truly, I am a failure as an American.

I've used storage units twice, both times when I was moving. Since the friends who I'd helped move on more than one occasion weren't dependable enough for me to count on to reciprocate and I didn't trust any of them enough to be handling my possessions anyway, I pretty much did it myself. A storage unit gave me plenty of time to get all my stuff out of the place I was vacating and plenty of time to get it moved into the new place.

Didn't have to rush or be in a great big hurry to get it done all at once in one or two days.

• Like 1