The Milk District

RedStar25

On 10/25/2018 at 8:29 AM, spenser1058 said:

Now comes word that Lou's Lounge on Bumby has sold but will continue on pretty much as before, perhaps with some entertainment upgrades. Best of all, Elvis will NOT be leaving the building.

Wonder how the new owners feel about Persians?

I remember as a kid driving [well, being driven] past Lou's with their permanent "No Iranians Allowed" sign during the hostage crisis.

Seemed awfully bigoted even then, even to a kid, even considering the context.

Edited by Camillo Sitte
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/25/2018 at 3:49 PM, spenser1058 said:

Sunshine, who is always thrilled when Orlando offers up more Burgers, Tacos and Beer, will be pleased to know MX Taco will be opening in January at 207 N. Bumby.

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/4566-bullet-point-buffet-black-white-edition

From Scott J

I am definitely excited for MX Taco! The chef/owner has also worked in Mexico and the menu should feature many different styles from various regions. He has put a lot of time and effort into the concept and menu. Wishing him the best!

Edited by aleonrivera
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Scott J visits ALa Cart, the new food truck park behind Se7en Bites:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/categoryblog/185-food-trucks/4626-a-la-cart

Over priced. 3 empanadas for 10 dollars with no tables service & I have to eat with plastic utensile/ paper tray is a bit much for me.  This food truck craze thing is just crazy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sunshine said:

Over priced. 3 empanadas for 10 dollars with no tables service & I have to eat with plastic utensile/ paper tray is a bit much for me.  This food truck craze thing is just crazy. 

Amen. :thumbsup:

Was gonna say the same thing but you beat me to it. 

Someone should post that in the comments section of the linked article.

The Graffiti Junktion folks are going to renovate the old 7-Eleven on Bumby (Oh, Thank Heaven!). It’s been several other things since you could buy a Big Gulp there and the subsequent occupants haven’t done much of anything to make this look like anything but an abandoned convenience store.

As a result, this should definitely be an improvement.

https://bungalower.com/2019/01/08/milk-district-tobacco-shop-becoming-cocktail-bar/

Scroll down for a rendering of what it may look like.

https://bungalower.com/2019/01/08/milk-district-tobacco-shop-becoming-cocktail-bar/

Feom Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2019 at 9:26 AM, sunshine said:

They're "craft" empanadas... how much do you expect to pay?  ~$3-4 seems completely normal.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Ok, those tacos look absolutely delicious and authentic. I need to give that place a try! 

I would agree if it wasn't so dang tiny.  I feel like Stasio's/Cilantro's or JJ's Fusion Grille would be better suited for it.  Unless beer is on the ticket.  Then Bull and Bush would makes sense too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A tip of the hat to T.G. Lee (and its huge agribusiness conglomerate parent) for the changes that have steadily been taking place.

JFW would be in awe at the way they’ve allowed the trees to all but take over the parking lot. The only downside is that it almost obscures the cow which has been restored to its rightful spot above the front door. The cow is also now illuminated at night and they have added the current logo to the building as well.

It’s a long way from the Lee family’s “milking parlor”, but they are doing their part to spiff up the Milk District.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, neoanderz said:

I stumbled upon this architecture firm’s page which shows a redesigning of festival park.  I would be glad to see this go through.    It brings some shade to the park and makes it seem a little more polished.  

DAP design

I agree it looks nice and a redo of this park would be appropriate, but it seems to me the proposal actually does away with trees. Most of the trees along Festival Way and the out cropping along Robinson & Maguire are missing in their drawings. I do like the idea of a pavilion and the large walkways. Also, leave the bball courts, please.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neoanderz said:

I stumbled upon this architecture firm’s page which shows a redesigning of festival park.  I would be glad to see this go through.    It brings some shade to the park and makes it seem a little more polished.  

DAP design

OFP has generally been lacking in tree cover except for a few tall but scrawny palms dating back to the days when it was part of the army air base. That was because much of the land was covered with old foundations for temporary buildings and parking lots.

The park itself was something of an afterthought, originally conceived by the Frederick administration as an Eola Park overflow after Eola got a multimillion dollar redo in 1987. Constitution Green was to serve the same purpose.

A lot of money had been spent on pricy St. Augustine grass (now much loathed by environmentalists although it was sooooo lush and comfy) and the fear was that Eola was being “overloved” by local groups which would kill the grass as quickly as it was planted. (Other parks, including Central Park in NYC, were expressing similar concerns then).

Unfortunately, It didn’t really take. One of the first groups that the city tried to move over to OFP was a Hispanic street party organization who immediately responded they were being discriminated against. For political reasons, the idea was mostly dropped and Eola’s grass today leaves much to be desired.

There was also an attempt not long after that to use the area for a proposed minor-league baseball field. That also went nowhere and OFP has mostly been static ever since.The only major improvement since then has been Mayor Glenda’s addition of the skate park.

Needless to say, it could definitely use some love. Here’s hoping - it could be a major plus for the Milk District.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

The back side of Stasio’s at Bumby and Robinson has a new tenant. Sideward is yet another microbrewery.

It doesn't matter what day of the week you go this place is always packed. Part of it may be the great location, but I think some of it is the owners connection to the local beer scene. The brewer was the original brewer at Cask & Larder then went to Red Cypress. The manager was at Red Light then Coppertail. These folks know beer really well and it shows in the product.

• Thanks 2