The Milk District

RedStar25

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

@JFW657, wanna buy a church? You could bring back Flip Wilson’s “Church of What’s Happenin’ Now and be the Rev!

https://bungalower.com/2020/01/01/milk-district-church-for-sale-under-contract/

From Bungalower 

I'll have to wait until my next Social Security check arrives in order to afford the $3,250,000.00 asking price.

If I do, maybe I'll turn it into a restaurant and entertainment complex that caters primarily to Wiccans and Pagans.

Replace the big cross on the front with a large relief carving of The Green Man....

Autumns-Reflection-WEB%5B559x543%5D.jpg

That would probably go over quite well.... :whistling:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I'll have to wait until my next Social Security check arrives in order to afford the $3,250,000.00 asking price.

If I do, maybe I'll turn it into a restaurant and entertainment complex that caters primarily to Wiccans and Pagans.

Replace the big cross on the front with a large relief carving of The Green Man....

Autumns-Reflection-WEB%5B559x543%5D.jpg

That would probably go over quite well.... :whistling:

Does he hang out with the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

An interesting tidbit. I ran into: the original Colonial Plaza strip center’s architect was Morris Lapidus, who also designed the Fontainebleau and Eden Roc hotels and the redesign of Lincoln Road in Miami Beach.

As is usually the case, it was demolished in 1995 in favor of a generic power center. *sigh*

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Some interior pics....

gallery_medium.jpg

2ca_nOgpxm6NTMRdkHl7fGgY_JVY7TgPRFbx5_QY

appliances.jpg

Conns_2_Carousel-1160x500.jpg

Looks like an hh gregg with furniture. 

Meh...... 

Yes, I looked at their website and their wiki entry and it did seem to be tilting a skosh too far in the “buy here, pay here” direction. Oh well, I suppose if it keeps CP full.given the way the economy is headed, we’ll make do with it and figure out how Nordy  could pass us by (again!) some other time...

It does suggest, Baldwin Park and the Park Lake neighborhoods notwithstanding, the market analysis  gurus won’t be recommending upscale retail for the East Colonial corridor any time soon. That leaves it up to WP, I guess, within the core.

The irony is that Millenia is surrounded by some pretty down-at-the-heels neighborhoods but I guess the tourists and the Dr. Phillips/ Bay Hill developments several miles away are propping it up.

Edited by spenser1058

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The irony is that Millenia is surrounded by some pretty down-at-the-heels neighborhoods but I guess the tourists and the Dr. Phillips/ Bay Hill developments several miles away are propping it up.

This.  Back in the late 90's early 00's we'd travel regularly to the Florida Mall of any kind of mall or retail diversion.  Closest Target was there as was Best Buy/Circuit City and all the mall and furniture stores.  Kmart was in DP, but it was starting its dated decline and Metrowest had the closest Walmart......eeek.    The other option was West Oaks......eeek.  I know as a young teen I was barred from crossing SR 408 going north by my parents because fights would break out at West Oaks fairly frequently.  Once Millenia opened, that gave us a bunch of store options that promptly were wiped out during the recession, but they were places to go.   Bj's, Target, the mall itself.  DP is definitely propping up Millenia.  I'm curious to see what happens when the Fenton/Daryl Carter Extension opens up and gives south DP access to places like Target.

Lets have a moment of silence for some of the places that opened with Millenia that didn't survive long after the recession.

• Circuit City
  • Robb and Stucky Furniture
  • Shane Co.
  • Krispy Kreme (fire, reborn 5 years later)
  • Regions Bank
  • Elephant Bar
  • Mimi's Cafe
  • The DeVry Institute
  • Smart

Joy Wallace Dickinson waxes nostalgic about Ronnie’s and the Mogambo Extravaganza. In those halcyon days, we may have had to duck and cover and identify the nearest Fallout Shelter but at least there was no social distancing to keep us from sharing the tasty treat!

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-fe-joy-wallace-dickinson-20200412-xxvdai2sqzgb7nyebiovwqg2rq-story.html

From the Sentinel 

She notes Ronnie’s has now been gone for 25 years - it seems civilization peaked in 1995...

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

I'm not sure how civilized Ronnie's was considering his views on LBG customers, people of color and the handicapped.

We can at least say that Larry Leckart was a  man of his time. Sadly, we can’t say that for the party in charge in Tallahassee you defend that is still guilty of those views and still practicing discrimination when we all should know better.

I refer you to Matthew 7:5 on this sunny Easter Sunday in trying times.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

We can at least say that Larry Leckart was a  man of his time. Sadly, we can’t say that for the party in charge in Tallahassee you defend that is still guilty of those views and still practicing discrimination when we all should know better.

I agree times were different and views have certainly evolved over the years and we probably should not hold someone responsible for their views from 30 years ago. Nonetheless, he was not a very nice guy in any era.

Please point me to an example of any time I have defended the party in charge in Tallahassee.

On 4/12/2020 at 2:40 PM, spenser1058 said:

On 4/12/2020 at 4:40 PM, AmIReal said:

I agree times were different and views have certainly evolved over the years and we probably should not hold someone responsible for their views from 30 years ago. Nonetheless, he was not a very nice guy in any era.

Please point me to an example of any time I have defended the party in charge in Tallahassee.

Have you completed that list yet?

On 4/12/2020 at 2:20 PM, AmIReal said:

I'm not sure how civilized Ronnie's was considering his views on LBG customers, people of color and the handicapped.

That's interesting and this is my first time hearing any of this - especially since they're Jewish. Any specific examples?

Edited by nite owℓ

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

That's interesting and this is my first time hearing any of this - especially since they're Jewish. Any specific examples?

I will speak to LGBT and disability issues as I have direct knowledge of those.

I will leave POC to address their experiences, although I will say that, during Jim Crow, prior to ‘65 and the Civil Rights Acts, Ronnie’s did have segregated restrooms available. That was considered “progressive” at the time - some businesses refused blacks use of any facilities at all. Unlike at the Country Club of Orlando, which in 1974(!) turned our group away because we had a black person in our party, any visits I made to Ronnie’s with black members joining us I found no difference in service in the ‘70’s - ‘90’s.

As for disabilities, my grandmother, due to a faulty hip replacement, was often in a wheelchair and always on crutches. Ronnie’s had an at-grade entrance that we navigated pretty well (although the non-automatic doors of those days made it a challenge).

Finally, as we know, I’m gay. On more than one occasion I went to Ronnie’s with several other gay folks and, although, I always minded my manners, it wasn’t too hard to figure out which side our bread was buttered on. I never encountered a problem on that account.

That said, Larry was a typical conservative Southern businessman (albeit born in NYC)  of that era who conducted himself accordingly.

He was active in his synagogue and the community. I knew the man from meeting him at the door and meetings when I worked for the Senate but not socially. We never considered him to be going out of his way to discriminate. 

i’ll also add that in the ‘mid-80’s when University Club discrimination caused many Orlando Democratic politicians and other folks in the local power structure to give up membership there, Ronnie’s remained the go-to spot for power breakfasts (especially Mayor Bill who was a regular and had his famous “Wild Bill” shootout moment there).

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-xpm-2004-12-01-0412010307-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ice cream (fittingly enough) and shaved ice is coming to the Milk District, next to MX Taco:

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/news/5240-waterford-mx-taco-will-become-tin-taco-shaved-ice-concept-comes-to-milk-district

From Scott J

Also, MX Taco is out at Waterford Lakes and TIn & Taco is in.

Edited by spenser1058