The Milk District

RedStar25

Like most things, Colonial Plaza had the ability to transform itsel back then from a workaday shopping center to something fun. 

There were three dynamic neon signs that made it look like Christmas every night. The two-story Bell’s had huge capital letters facing the stores and on the front. They took up the entire second story and were a beautiful cobalt blue. Next up was Ronnie’s, which you can see in my avatar photo. The very large sign there was in a similar color but the thousands of bulbs would go dark and then slowly start up from the base of the “R” and spell out the name in twinkling lights. Finally, down toward the Bumby end was a winged Publix that you’re probably familiar with.

Think those weren’t worth saving? Ask the folks in College Park who were up in arms in the 21st century when their beloved winged Publix was about to be demolished. The folks of College Park are nothing if not active in the community (two of our last three mayors are from there) and scores of soccer moms fought to save the neon.

Meanwhile, although McDonald’s switched from its red and white stores with sweeping Golden Arches over the roof in favor of a sedate, beige mansard design in the ‘70’s, a local franchisee brought back the ‘50’s design due to popular request... right across the street from Colonial Plaza. Alas, all that was lost in CP itself.

More to come...

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Ugh that was a tragedy losing that store!

No hardware store at all in 2011.

image.thumb.png.866e6cae1ae0ea49317ecbc7bfb28116.png

July 2013, right when I moved to Colonialtown North.  At least my memory is still serving me well.

image.png.35a54e18f70e04ba77177fc312006a78.png

Now weirdly enough I went to that store in 2013 and talked to the clerk extensively over something.  In 2014 I would meet future Mrs. Codypet out randomly somewhere, and her sister turned out to be that same clerk I had talked to a year earlier.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 3

iIRC, the owner of Coytown Hardware (the True Value) retired or died or something and there was a gap of a couple of years before the Ace came in.

I know there was a gnashing of teeth when the original store was closing. I usually just went to Sears at the time so wasn’t too disheartened and if I needed a special screw or something just went to College Park.

The Coytown store I DO miss is Southern Vacuum. I bought my bags there for years and they would fix my ancient Kenmore canister for half what Sears would charge. 

On 8/16/2020 at 9:52 PM, spenser1058 said:

The Coytown store I DO miss is Southern Vacuum. I bought my bags there for years and they would fix my ancient Kenmore canister for half what Sears would charge. 

They're still there.  Just a few shops down.

image.png.103d636faef9b7b8622debeb63d27fea.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I was told they had closed but maybe it was just for COVID.

They permanently closed about a year ago.  It was a family business and when the older generation passed on, the kids tried to hold on for a while, but didn't make it. 
Nobody buys and maintains vacuums like they used to. Every few years, you just get a new one. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, smileguy said:

They permanently closed about a year ago.  It was a family business and when the older generation passed on, the kids tried to hold on for a while, but didn't make it. 
Nobody buys and maintains vacuums like they used to. Every few years, you just get a new one. 

I would say I’ll never give up my old Kenmore canister but with both Sears and Southern Vacuum gone I guess I may not have a choice.

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

Carpeting just isn't as popular anymore either.  I haven't owned a vacuum in years.  I just take the rugs outside and beat the devil out of them, as Bob Ross would say.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, smileguy said:

And the old one goes in the curb where it's picked up and taken to the landfill with not a single thought by the owner.

Typical of our throw away society. 

29 minutes ago, elefants said:

Carpeting just isn't as popular anymore either.  I haven't owned a vacuum in years.  I just take the rugs outside and beat the devil out of them, as Bob Ross would say.

Do you put on a big reddish-brown "fro" wig first? ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Would expanding the Milk District east on Colonial Dr help restore it or just drag down the District with it?

https://bungalower.com/2020/09/21/milk-district-wants-to-expand-its-boundaries-but-is-wondering-what-you-think-about-it/

From Bungalower 

Tell us more, @smileguy!  

On 9/28/2020 at 2:22 PM, Jernigan said:

Tell us more, @smileguy!  

Haha - I've been trying to fly under the radar, but I guess I failed. Everything I post here are my personal  thoughts and not the opinion of the Main Street or City of Orlando.

The expanded borders are going before Council on Oct. 5 -- it's definitely happening.  A few of the Main Streets are expanding borders, and Mills 50's original map included expanding down Fern Creek to Robinson, so the Milk was  going to join them there. Their final plan is much smaller and only encompasses the area surrounding Quantum Leap .  @spenser1058 will be pleased to know that his home Thornton Park district will include more of the South Eola neighborhood as well as Lake Eola Park. Ivanhoe's expansion is similarly ambitious, including parts of Wilfred Dr, The Yard, and extending down into North Quarter.

On 9/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, codypet said:

Milk District Crossfit would be back in the Milk District again if that's the case.

The expansion brings CrossFit Milk District and Pizzeria Del Dio, already members, into the official borders.  

Events drive the majority of our revenue, and with two major events cancelled for 2020 and 2021, an expanded footprint will help us build our membership base. 

The survey is separate, but not unrelated, and everyone here should fill it out!  The District is undergoing some strategic planning to help focus our work and development, being more proactive in changes in the neighborhood.  www.themilkdistrict.org/survey

If you think the work the Main Street is doing is important and valuable, I would also encourage you to join as a residential member, starting at $35/year.  We are rolling out a new program in October (though you can join now) that will come with a coupon book for neighborhood businesses. More info at www.themilkdistrict.org/staymilky 

• Like 1

@smileguy filled out the Survey, but I don't think I really captured my experience with the Milk District: I live in the North Quarter, so Ivanhoe and Downtown are reasonable jaunts for me. Thorton is a bit of a stretch but I can walk there. Getting to the Milk District from Orange just feels like a hike and I'd rather not drive unless I'm detouring from work. I feel like the BRT to UCF or a Lymmo extension or an off street scooter track would really make me more inclined to head over. The paver streets and colonial don't really present good walkable/bikeable connections. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

@smileguy filled out the Survey, but I don't think I really captured my experience with the Milk District: I live in the North Quarter, so Ivanhoe and Downtown are reasonable jaunts for me. Thorton is a bit of a stretch but I can walk there. Getting to the Milk District from Orange just feels like a hike and I'd rather not drive unless I'm detouring from work. I feel like the BRT to UCF or a Lymmo extension or an off street scooter track would really make me more inclined to head over. The paver streets and colonial don't really present good walkable/bikeable connections. 

City Transportation will tell you that the Livingston St. bike lane is enough to safely get you into the neighborhood.  It looks like with the abandonment of the sales tax question, our best hope will be the bike beltway along 408.   You might look at Lynx route 104 as a Lymmo surrogate -- Robinson St. & Glenwood Ave is the first stop once it leaves downtown and its a quick ride.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

The paver streets and colonial don't really present good walkable/bikeable connections. 

Livingston is the designated bike route to the east to get to Milk District/Colonial Plaza/Festival Park area. It works well, with concrete bike lanes and shade trees along the whole way. 

Was posting the same thing as you at the same time, Smileguy.  Jinx! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Livingston is the designated bike route to the east to get to Milk District/Colonial Plaza/Festival Park area. It works well, with concrete bike lanes and shade trees along the whole way. 

Was posting the same thing as you at the same time, Smileguy.  Jinx! 

The issue with Livingston is that the bike lane is often blocked with garbage carts, yard waste, and used by cars.  Because of the uneven pavers, its more difficult and often unsafe to go around any obstruction at speed that you wouldn't think twice about on asphalt. 

18 hours ago, smileguy said:

The issue with Livingston is that the bike lane is often blocked with garbage carts, yard waste, and used by cars.  Because of the uneven pavers, its more difficult and often unsafe to go around any obstruction at speed that you wouldn't think twice about on asphalt. 

It is still your best (and only option) at this point on two wheels and pedals..... unless you want to bike all sidewalks (or flat out ON the street). I ride Livingston at least once a week (sometimes twice) from the Lynx Bus station to the Executive Airport.  Occasionally I have to swerve onto bricks or sidewalk...but it is generally pretty okay. The construction downtown provides a bit of a challenge but from Eola Heights to the Milk District it is almost always smooth sailing. Navigating the Mills intersection can be a bit tricky at times (as the paved bike lane briefly ends)..but is easily doable. I do not know when the Anderson Street trail will come to fruition. I hope it does soon (and I hope no trees near the Wetlands/Cemetary come down). ....BUT....until then....Livingston Street IS the best east/west channel for bikers in the downtown area. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 2

Yeah, Mills is tricky because of the turn lane and hill. 

I usually just take the lane there and ride with the cars for that intersection. 

Radius temporarily closed the lanes at Magnolia. 

I can't stand the people putting trash cans in the bike lane, but honestly, that happens everywhere. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Yeah, Mills is tricky because of the turn lane and hill. 

I usually just take the lane there and ride with the cars for that intersection. 

Radius temporarily closed the lanes at Magnolia. 

I can't stand the people putting trash cans in the bike lane, but honestly, that happens everywhere. 

This.  I too take the lane when I get to Mills.  I know cars aren't too happy you even exist there though.

On 9/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, Jerry95 said:

May I interest you in a scooter?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 9:19 AM, spenser1058 said:

Orlando’s luxury movie experience... in 1963:

Love that place. I remember actually seeing a few films there (when I first moved down here). Weren't the chairs wooden and on some spring mechanism (hence the "rocking chair" name)? Long time ago. I was quite young....but I remember it being sort of the "last place" the recent feature films played before they were relegated to VHS and Blockbuster. Of course Rocky Horror Picture Show played there alot.  Seen a few concerts there as well over the years (after the Dove days).  Glad it is still around. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1