The Milk District

RedStar25

22 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Love that place. I remember actually seeing a few films there (when I first moved down here). Weren't the chairs wooden and on some spring mechanism (hence the "rocking chair" name)? Long time ago. I was quite young....but I remember it being sort of the "last place" the recent feature films played before they were relegated to VHS and Blockbuster. Of course Rocky Horror Picture Show played there alot.  Seen a few concerts there as well over the years (after the Dove days).  Glad it is still around. Cheers.

Yes, The Plaza had the cushiest seats and the Parkwood Cinema had the best screen.

When it first opened, the Plaza got the best movies because they had two screens. What was different, though, was they only had one movie. As a result, the hottest movies went there because there was less time between showings. Later, they became a second-run house as the chairs wore out and people went to the newer multiplexes at the other malls. Of course,  I liked going there because afterward we’d usually get to go to Ronnie’s when my parents picked me up and then go to Jordan Marsh because they had four floors of escalators to ride.

Edited by spenser1058

• 2 weeks later...

• 5 weeks later...

OK, so @smileguy has been holding out on us. The big secret has been where the Chicken Fire food truck was going to settle down in more permanent digs .

Now, we know. The new restaurant will be at Coytown, conveniently located just across the street from the oh-so-bland Chick-Fil-A. Add some fire to your chicken!

https://bungalower.com/2020/11/24/chicken-fire-food-truck-opening-brick-and-mortar-in-colonialtown/

From Bungalower 

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2020 at 3:32 PM, smileguy said:

City Transportation will tell you that the Livingston St. bike lane is enough to safely get you into the neighborhood.  It looks like with the abandonment of the sales tax question, our best hope will be the bike beltway along 408.   You might look at Lynx route 104 as a Lymmo surrogate -- Robinson St. & Glenwood Ave is the first stop once it leaves downtown and its a quick ride.

Is the Robinson complete streets upgrade happening anytime soon? I believe that had some much better dedicated bike lanes.

On 11/28/2020 at 3:34 PM, spenser1058 said:

OK, so @smileguy has been holding out on us. The big secret has been where the Chicken Fire food truck was going to settle down in more permanent digs .

Now, we know. The new restaurant will be at Coytown, conveniently located just across the street from the oh-so-bland Chick-Fil-A. Add some fire to your chicken!

https://bungalower.com/2020/11/24/chicken-fire-food-truck-opening-brick-and-mortar-in-colonialtown/

From Bungalower 

I'm actually worried about this.  Beyond the deliciousness of Chicken Fire, a lot of the appeal was it was a great meet-up spot.  Whether that be A La Cart, East End, or Barley and Vine.  I don't know what their drink plans are in a permanent location, but I can't see me wanting to hang out there for 3 beers while eating.  Not to mention, pandemic, so I won't be hanging out inside anyway.  Maybe it will create a destination?  I hope so.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I'm actually worried about this.  Beyond the deliciousness of Chicken Fire, a lot of the appeal was it was a great meet-up spot.  Whether that be A La Cart, East End, or Barley and Vine.  I don't know what their drink plans are in a permanent location, but I can't see me wanting to hang out there for 3 beers while eating.  Not to mention, pandemic, so I won't be hanging out inside anyway.  Maybe it will create a destination?  I hope so.

You don't want to hang out in the parking lot of an old Winn Dixie and an ACE hardware while you fight for parking with the people from Lam's Garden?

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Some funky holiday banners this year for the Milk District:

https://bungalower.com/2020/12/14/milk-district-holiday-banners/

From Bungalower 

Very happy with how these came out!   We aren't on the map for lighted OUC decor, except on Colonial, so instead of paying to put plug-ins on our poles, we decided to showcase some local emerging BI-POC artists.

130427324_1277160782652368_5560831216203051039_n.thumb.jpg.d80cd213869f955d941f4824142532b6.jpg

130218027_1112330659210935_7948966220883330972_n.thumb.jpg.f78c711478a3dcfc8598de982f65cbe5.jpg

130153135_438151654222741_8135011628482235499_n.thumb.jpg.d09f004580c9bfd7408f2c5f59dd63e8.jpg

130409004_1353172428370238_8733793462260590720_n.thumb.jpg.ea73d0e900f6c64c3093c1cea76a93b8.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

Very happy with how these came out!   We aren't on the map for lighted OUC decor, except on Colonial, so instead of paying to put plug-ins on our poles, we decided to showcase some local emerging BI-POC artists.

I had to look up that term "BI-POC". Interesting term. 

On 12/16/2020 at 9:57 AM, codypet said:

I love it!  I noticed it last week.  Curry Ford West has theirs up too, but they aren't holiday related.  Will the Milk ones change seasonally?

We have the holiday set and logo set, so just those for now.
We are talking about doing banners honoring local veterans along the Airport path each fall, but that's still just an idea.

• Like 1

Soooo... the Milk District is going vegetarian in January.

I must confess I would have thought Audubon Park more the one to go for full-on granola crunching.

After all Milk’s the home of BEEFY King (we notice they’re taking a pass), one of the prominent features is a bovine mural and just about the tallest thing in the area is the cow atop T.G. Lee.

But, whatever... get on out there and suck down some edamame along with your bucket of beers at Colonial Lanes next month (if they reopen by then)!

https://bungalower.com/2020/12/22/milk-district-goes-vegetarian-for-january/

From Bungalower 
Edited by spenser1058

• 1 month later...

New brewery opening on South Street in the Milk District. It's gonna be in the old South Street Coin Laundry spot (literally swapping from one kind of "suds" to another).

spacer.png

Per Bungalower:

Twelve Talons Beerworks

I used to drag my clothes from Eola Heights to this very laundry facility for years (I might have even smuggled in a refreshing

canned beverage or two during wash days).  I actually live closer to it now than I did back then. I hope they can find a creative way to reuse the

existing building structure.  Also...LOTS of room for outdoor areas there. Best of luck to them. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 3

@Jolly Roger's Crackers I broke this news in my neighborhood group and man did that spark debate.  Half the residents are excited and half are pissed.  Some feel like its a danger because of all the traffic (I don't understand how that logic doesn't apply to everything else on that road,) and apparently some of these people are fed up with all the breweries going up.

On 12/2/2020 at 1:49 PM, codypet said:

You don't want to hang out in the parking lot of an old Winn Dixie and an ACE hardware while you fight for parking with the people from Lam's Garden?

I think I have to eat my words.  I've been to CF 3 times since it open and there's a line around the door and people are literally hanging out in the parking lot eating it every time I go.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

On 2/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, codypet said:

@Jolly Roger's Crackers I broke this news in my neighborhood group and man did that spark debate.  Half the residents are excited and half are pissed.  Some feel like its a danger because of all the traffic (I don't understand how that logic doesn't apply to everything else on that road,) and apparently some of these people are fed up with all the breweries going up.

No funding yet, but the City and FDOT are looking at adding a 10-foot path between Primrose and Crystal Lake/Lake Underhill path.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smileguy said:

No funding yet, but the City and FDOT are looking at adding a 10-foot path between Primrose and Crystal Lake/Lake Underhill path.

That's along Anderson, not South right? I know Anderson is part of the bicycle beltway and much of the on street parking along Anderson will be eliminated.  One of our UP members is working on that.  I didn't know South was working on something too.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

That's along Anderson, not South right? I know Anderson is part of the bicycle beltway and much of the on street parking along Anderson will be eliminated.  One of our UP members is working on that.  I didn't know South was working on something too.

It's not a big project, just filling the sidewalk gap.  The thought is that if there is space, may as well do a 10' path vs. a 5' sidewalk.  
This bike/ped study was done a few years ago, and recommends a 10' sidewalk with back-in angle parking. No funding there either, and we haven't begun conversations about the changes in South St., but this stretch of path would be compatible for that vision long term.

More detail on P. 22 here - http://www.cityoforlando.net/transportation-planning/milk-mills-50-districts-bicycle-and-pedestrian-study/

• Like 1

It is interesting the thought that South would neck down to 2 lanes.  When the light at the Mills ramp was envisioned on concept had South necking down to two lanes there but it was scrapped because they didn't want to take a lane away.  IMO its too many lanes especially with Anderson only being 2 in the other direction.  I know they show the 3rd lane appearing at Bumby but I assume that's a left to Lake Como and a straight onto the ramp?

On 2/19/2021 at 12:13 PM, codypet said:

I broke this news in my neighborhood group and man did that spark debate.  Half the residents are excited and half are pissed.  Some feel like its a danger because of all the traffic (I don't understand how that logic doesn't apply to everything else on that road,) and apparently some of these people are fed up with all the breweries going up.

Hmmmm. I don't see how traffic would be affected adversely. There really isn't anything else going on at that stretch of South Street besides a few auto shops (which close early). Currently there is still a "back entrance" road to the laundry from Primrose. Not sure if that is gonna continue to exist...but it would certainly help if access from there was improved (currently it is "partially" a dirt road). I'm just glad the property is not gonna be a new Wawa, CVS/Walgreens or another "apartment/shopping" complex. That would really make traffic significantly more congested. Also...more breweries/brew-pubs is never a bad thing...but that's just me. Cheers. JRC.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers

2 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Hmmmm. I don't see how traffic would be affected adversely. There really isn't anything else going on at that stretch of South Street besides a few auto shops (which close early). Currently there is still a "back entrance" road to the laundry from Primrose. Not sure if that is gonna continue to exist...but it would certainly help if access from there was improved (currently it is "partially" a dirt road). I'm just glad the property is not gonna be a new Wawa, CVS/Walgreens or another "apartment/shopping" complex. That would really make traffic significantly more congested. Also...more breweries/brew-pubs is never a bad thing...but that's just me. Cheers. JRC.

Their concern weirdly wasn't that there was gonna be too much traffic but that drunks would drive the wrong way on South.  Like I said if its not a problem with Southern Nights/Craft/District Dive and Whipperpool, I don't know why it would suddenly be a problem with this new place.