The Milk District

RedStar25

39 minutes ago, codypet said:

Their concern weirdly wasn't that there was gonna be too much traffic but that drunks would drive the wrong way on South

Fear of folks driving East on South....seems appropriate (for some reason). Oh well.  Yeah...not much concern (or problems...that I've seen) at the Bumby bar area....but..neighbors can (often) be "overly neighborly".  I know this also. No worries. Cheers. JRC.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers

Saw a "for lease" sign hanging off the side of Colonial Lanes Bowling today. I don't recall having seen that before. I was hoping that place might re-open as a smaller version of its original self.  Now I'm worried that it might be lost forever. Haven't found any new info online. Cheers. JRC.

spacer.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Saw a "for lease" sign hanging off the side of Colonial Lanes Bowling today. I don't recall having seen that before. I was hoping that place might re-open as a smaller version of its original self.  Now I'm worried that it might be lost forever. Haven't found any new info online. Cheers. JRC.

spacer.png

Here's the listing on Loopnet -- looking for someone to lease and operate a smaller, upscale bowling alley and bar in about half of the remaining space.

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/400-N-Primrose-Dr-Orlando-FL/19948202/

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Here's the listing on Loopnet -- looking for someone to lease and operate a smaller, upscale bowling alley and bar in about half of the remaining space.

Ahhhh...good find. So there is some hope yet. I guess I'll keep my bowling shoes at the ready (just in case).

spacer.png

Cheers. JRC.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, smileguy said:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/400-N-Primrose-Dr-Orlando-FL/19948202/

@Pieson we need to get our other project up and running asap so we can do this.

A "milk-bottle" themed crosswalk has been painted across all four pedestrian crossings at Bumby and Central. Courtesy of The Milk District board along with Patty Sheehan and designer Jen Atwell:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Those are little milk bottles silhouetted into the pink blocks of paint. I like it. Any way to improve crosswalk visibility/awareness is okay by me.

Cheers. JRC.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Agreed. Maybe it will in the future. Cheers.

FDOT has a different interpretation on the permissibility of non-standard crosswalks than the Orlando transportation department.     Hopefully we get them to change their mind before the Robinson RRR project.  :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smileguy said:

FDOT has a different interpretation on the permissibility of non-standard crosswalks than the Orlando transportation department.     Hopefully we get them to change their mind before the Robinson RRR project.  :)

THIS.  Its the reason the rainbow crosswalk at Kaley/Orange never materialized.

Federally the MUTCD disallows rainbows and other such bright designs in crosswalks. This appears to be compliant, maybe.

"The FHWA's position has always been, and continues to be that subdued-colored aesthetic treatments between the legally marked transverse crosswalk lines are permissible provided that they are devoid of retroreflective properties and that they do not diminish the effectiveness of the legally required white transverse pavement markings used to establish the crosswalk. Examples of acceptable treatments include brick lattice patterns, paving bricks, paving stones, setts, cobbles, or other resources designed to simulate such paving. Acceptable colors for these materials would be red, rust, brown, burgundy, clay, tan or similar earth tone equivalents. All elements of pattern and color for these treatments are to be uniform, consistent, repetitive, and expected so as not to be a source of distraction. No element of the aesthetic interior treatment is to be random or unsystematic. No element of the aesthetic interior treatment can implement pictographs, symbols, multiple color arrangements, etc., or can otherwise attempt to communicate with any roadway user."

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aent said:

Federally the MUTCD disallows rainbows and other such bright designs in crosswalks. This appears to be compliant, maybe.

"The FHWA's position has always been, and continues to be that subdued-colored aesthetic treatments between the legally marked transverse crosswalk lines are permissible provided that they are devoid of retroreflective properties and that they do not diminish the effectiveness of the legally required white transverse pavement markings used to establish the crosswalk. Examples of acceptable treatments include brick lattice patterns, paving bricks, paving stones, setts, cobbles, or other resources designed to simulate such paving. Acceptable colors for these materials would be red, rust, brown, burgundy, clay, tan or similar earth tone equivalents. All elements of pattern and color for these treatments are to be uniform, consistent, repetitive, and expected so as not to be a source of distraction. No element of the aesthetic interior treatment is to be random or unsystematic. No element of the aesthetic interior treatment can implement pictographs, symbols, multiple color arrangements, etc., or can otherwise attempt to communicate with any roadway user."

There are plenty of rainbow crossings on crosswalks / streets that are not local / county / state across the country.

The agencies interpret the MUTCD differently.  Sometimes the language is vague enough that agencies need to make their own inferences.  One of the more recent notable ones is the color of the word TOLL above the road number.  MUTCD prior to 2009 I think was fast and loose with the toll color at the time so Florida went with green.  Starting in 2009, MUTCD says this :The TOLL (M4-15) auxiliary sign (see Figure 2F-4) shall have a black legend and border on a yellow background and shall be mounted directly above the route sign of a numbered toll highway or, if used, above the cardinal direction and alternative route auxiliary signs, in any route sign assembly providing directions from a non-toll highway to the toll highway or to a segment of a highway on which the payment of a toll is required.

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2f.htm

So Turnpike made all route signs with yellow TOLL signs.  CFX opted to do it specifically when you're going from one non tolled road to a tolled road another.  

TPK vs CFX

image.png.c17c4db57b8edbf6f87461651f15aad4.pngimage.png.90d811fda79a3866ec1657c9e4931579.png

image.png.67382e4997ceb0a286c805efd088dcd2.png

Of course that means sometimes there's inconsistencies.

image.png.61e0c125b73c923c63d54d02acdc47d3.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Over on a UCF Football Fan Forum, they were trying to find a copy of Phill Steele’s 2021 college football guide. Someone noted it was available at B&N in the Milk District. Much discussion ensued as to what The Milk District is and the posters decided it was time to check it out. Charge On!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, smileguy said:

Should be really interesting and I hope the folks of Mather's put the same flair into this bowling alley that they've done with their bars.  This Orlando Weekly article mentions they will include a Robinson Cafe coffee bar, and a restaurant.  I am absolutely stoked for this addition to the area.

• Like 4

I have to say I didn’t expect much “there, there” when the area became a Main St. District. Because it’s so spread out and was mostly a cow pasture until T.G. Lee sold his “milking parlor” to Colonial Plaza and the Air Force base downsized after the war, it wasn’t very cohesive.

Nevertheless, @smileguyand the crew over there do a good job of holding on to what gems they have and giving the place a funkiness that makes it interesting. Kudos all the way around.

• Like 1