The Milk District

RedStar25

17 hours ago, smileguy said:

I was skeptical because it had changed so many hands but I have close relationship with someone involved in the project.  He's super excited, so this is happening.  I'm bummed we're going from 32 to 8 lanes, but given the climate control and the power haven't been on for a while, maybe there wasn't much salvageable. 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, codypet said:

I was skeptical because it had changed so many hands but I have close relationship with someone involved in the project.  He's super excited, so this is happening.  I'm bummed we're going from 32 to 8 lanes, but given the climate control and the power haven't been on for a while, maybe there wasn't much salvageable. 

I guess with only 8 lanes, it’ll be easy to fill up the league…

I told my neighbors this, given the vibe the Robinson has, and what they're shooting for, the atmosphere will be more like a high end Kings, than the traditional Colonial Lanes.  I don't expect a league bowling there.  That might be reserved for Aloma Bowl, OBT AMF, or Boardwalk Bowl.

• Thanks 2

On 7/1/2021 at 8:14 AM, codypet said:

I'm bummed we're going from 32 to 8 lanes,

Last time I looked (through the windows) I think there were about 16 lanes left. It looked like a time capsule (of the old place). I fully embrace the return of Colonial Lanes (in any form) but if they are ripping out bowling lanes to make room for treadmills and stairmasters that is just unfortunate. I kinda thought they would "build out" the structure (for the other stuff) and leave/enhance the original interior and bring it back to its former glory. Who runs on a treadmill for 45 minutes and then goes bowling? Weird. I always thought an outdoor patio/bar would suit the place and perhaps a very retro outdoor (and lighted) 70's style Putt-Putt miniature golf course would have made that corner block alot of fun. Oh well. Drove by there today. It looks like it is being gutted already. No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 1:14 PM, codypet said:

Actually, there's a chain of bowling alleys here in London called All-Star Lanes with a quite good American-style diner in front, with a small number of lanes in the back with a cocktail bar. The decreased scale may actually benefit its transition to something more upscale, more geared towards a casual night out with dinner, as opposed to a loud, cavernous facility with stale nachos and s****y beer.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Edited by jliv
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jolly Roger said:
This i kinda how I fondly remember Colonial Lanes from days of yore (aka...only a few years ago). Cheers.

Don't get me wrong. Love those old-school AMF centers, but they've never been known for their culinary delights. Still waiting for the roller rink revival, though. (I totally just Googled "Semoran Skateway" and that place is still going!!!)

Edited by jliv
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jliv said:

Still waiting for the roller rink revival, though. (I totally just Googled "Semoran Skateway" and that place is still going!!!)

It's here.  That place gets packed on adult night, and social media plus covid has definitely fueled a skating spike.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jliv said:

Don't get me wrong. Love those old-school AMF centers, but they've never been known for their culinary delights. Still waiting for the roller rink revival, though. (I totally just Googled "Semoran Skateway" and that place is still going!!!)

I grew up with Brunswick (Parkwood Lanes) when it was new (32 lanes) and in great shape. Years later, I did gay leagues at both WP and Colonial, but they both needed some love by that time. Time to reread “Bowling Alone” again and things that have changed…

24 minutes ago, jgardnerucf said:

Yes.  As to is Skate Reflections down yonder in Kissimmee.

Ah, Skate Reflections — Among its movie accolades being a scene in Monster where Charlize Theron and Christina Ricci roller skate before she murders some guy in the parking lot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I actually have skated there.   That said Monster was ruined from me and my girlfriend starting with the first scene on the sloped embankment under SR 528.   Right away I knew where that was and then the rest of the movie was me identifying filming locations including my office at the time.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, codypet said:

I actually have skated there.   That said Monster was ruined from me and my girlfriend starting with the first scene on the sloped embankment under SR 528.   Right away I knew where that was and then the rest of the movie was me identifying filming locations including my office at the time.

Not to mention the ultimate Kissimmee dive bar, Roscoes.

The Milk District is opening up a new pop-up space and place-based retail incubator on E. Robinson!  Our vision is to help build home-grown retail tenants for the District and the city, with a focus on artists and makers by giving them a low-risk environment to test concepts and operations. We are also lining up an 8-week business training for artists that will launch later this year. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/07/12/milk-district-retail-business-incubator-orlando.html?fbclid=IwAR1E8HMfWV5_ftgMZpQ810ZWTjSnvrdUvxWOQCjKc3tv5Oh91jQbTcv5HBI  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, smileguy said:

The Milk District is opening up a new pop-up space and place-based retail incubator on E. Robinson!  Our vision is to help build home-grown retail tenants for the District and the city, with a focus on artists and makers by giving them a low-risk environment to test concepts and operations. We are also lining up an 8-week business training for artists that will launch later this year. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/07/12/milk-district-retail-business-incubator-orlando.html?fbclid=IwAR1E8HMfWV5_ftgMZpQ810ZWTjSnvrdUvxWOQCjKc3tv5Oh91jQbTcv5HBI  

This is such a great idea. Always weird to me that pop up retail, etc has just never been a starter before in Orlando.

• Like 3

It looks like the abandoned church at E. Central and Hampton, long home of the blue “JESUS NEVER FAILS “ sign over the door, will be torn down and replaced by four houses.

From Bungalower 

Years ago before they added the stop signs, that intersection was basically a curve and you had to try and not be mesmerized by the sign as you negotiated the curve eastbound on Central.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Atrium Management is relocating from the 'burbs to The Milk District, and bringing some infill development along with them. The plan is for their offices to go into a renovation at 201 S Bumby with apartments to follow to the south.

https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2021/08/23/florida-company-real-estate-development-orlando.html 

• Like 2