The Milk District

RedStar25

16 hours ago, smileguy said:

A MMJ company has had the lease on the Steak N Shake for a while now and have been sitting on it.  They are moving through the permitting process for a dispensary there, but I don't know of the timeline.   

The Kernel Encore building is under new ownership, too, and you should expect to see a new brick and mortar location for a popular food truck in the coming months. 

Steak it Easy?  Swedish? ChiPhi? Hmmm.

16 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

The Milkhouse is now in soft open mode, so stop by soon at 201 N. Bumby and be gentle!

https://bungalower.com/2021/10/25/milkhouse-now-in-soft-open/

From The Bungalower 

My waist line!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As @smileguy hinted above, Kernel Encore will soon be replaced by Smoke and Donuts. Perhaps when they’re done with the Reno, it won’t look quite so much like a Dobbs House anymore. Scientific ‘cue? I’m intrigued…

https://bungalower.com/2021/11/09/smoke-and-donuts-opening-brick-and-mortar-in-the-milk-district/

From Bungalower 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 7:29 PM, spenser1058 said:

As @smileguy hinted above, Kernel Encore will soon be replaced by Smoke and Donuts. Perhaps when they’re done with the Reno, it won’t look quite so much like a Dobbs House anymore. Scientific ‘cue? I’m intrigued…

https://bungalower.com/2021/11/09/smoke-and-donuts-opening-brick-and-mortar-in-the-milk-district/

From Bungalower 

I will say, Smoke and Donuts has the best brisket I've found in Orlando (topping my previous favorite, Ellie Lous), so good for them.  And now when I go to A La Cart, I'll be able to try other things without being sad I'm missing out on brisket!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I really want me some of them Herby Fries.

Went there today. Not too shabby!

45 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I will say, Smoke and Donuts has the best brisket I've found in Orlando (topping my previous favorite, Ellie Lous), so good for them.  And now when I go to A La Cart, I'll be able to try other things without being sad I'm missing out on brisket!

Their chicken is pretty tasty, as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I managed to hack into the "Milk Stacks" website and found these actual architectural renderings:

spacer.png

spacer.png

No offense to milk carton enthusiasts intended....and I mean that.  Cheers.

Heck, they should have gone whole hog (whole cow?) and used the old red and white TG Lee colors!

On the topic of milk, did you know JC Penney (the man, not the company) once owned one of the nation’s largest dairies here in Florida? Naturally, it was in Penney Farms, just west of Green Cove (the home of Mama & Papa Gus).

Do they still sell milk in cartons? At Publix and Target (the two stores I buy groceries at) it’s mostly plastic bottles.

Of course, as a kid, I came along at the end of the days when the milkman brought it in glass bottles (which you had to return). No, the milk trucks weren’t horse-drawn then.

Charles Chips were also delivered that way and they came in big metal canisters.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Charles Chips were also delivered that way and they came in big metal canisters.

I remember those when I visited my grandfather back in the day....like Lay's thin chips but in a giant metal can (tan colored?). Man....I was a wee little dude then. Thanks for the throwback. Now I'm gonna research old Ford family sedans. Cheers.

p.s. Lots of cartons at the local Winn Win Dixie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I remember those when I visited my grandfather back in the day....like Lay's thin chips but in a giant metal can (tan colored?). Man....I was a wee little dude then. Thanks for the throwback. Now I'm gonna research old Ford family sedans. Cheers.

p.s. Lots of cartons at the local Winn Win Dixie.

Tan-colored with little black specks!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Do they still sell milk in cartons? At Publix and Target (the two stores I buy groceries at) it’s mostly plastic bottles.

Of course, as a kid, I came along at the end of the days when the milkman brought it in glass bottles (which you had to return). No, the milk trucks weren’t horse-drawn then.

They still sell cream and coffee creamer in cardboard cartons. 

As well as some fruit drinks. 

Minute maid.

But all the cartons nowadays have threaded plastic spouts with plastic screw on caps so you don't have to tear open the carton. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JFW657 said:

They still sell cream and coffee creamer in cardboard cartons. 

As well as some fruit drinks. 

Minute maid.

But all the cartons nowadays have threaded plastic spouts with plastic screw on caps so you don't have to tear open the carton. 

My parents have a bunch of plastic handles that attached to the side of the carton allowed you to pour out Orange Juice and Milk containers.  Once the spouts went on the side, it made them obsolete.  

image.png.c226f61fea1aa0b670c288bff9488bae.png

Edit: Actually looking online, they're still around, just redesigned so that it attaches to the back instead of the side.

Edited by codypet
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

(the home of Mama & Papa Gus).

Aww...I remember cutting the Mama & Papa Gus logo photo of them off of a milk carton and incorporating it into a Christmas card I sent to my sister her first Christmas in California. :tw_smile:

21 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Yes!!! Oh man...that was bit of a while back. Cheers.

It was the rare magical day when mom would say we'll take chips AND pretzels!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 5:31 PM, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

New brewery opening on South Street in the Milk District. It's gonna be in the old South Street Coin Laundry spot (literally swapping from one kind of "suds" to another).

spacer.png

Per Bungalower:

Twelve Talons Beerworks

I used to drag my clothes from Eola Heights to this very laundry facility for years (I might have even smuggled in a refreshing

canned beverage or two during wash days).  I actually live closer to it now than I did back then. I hope they can find a creative way to reuse the

existing building structure.  Also...LOTS of room for outdoor areas there. Best of luck to them. Cheers.

Evidently the orginal structure was "no longer needed". Drove by there yesterday and everything is gone save for a few concrete blocks creating some sort of corner for whatever new structure is coming. Tear it all down I guess.....who'll miss it anyway? Disappointed with this. No worries. Cheers.

• Like 1