The Milk District

RedStar25

• 1 month later...

I don't know when the "tear down rebuild" trend is gonna end...but I hate to see it infect the downtown neighborhoods. Yet another Lake Como house got razed last week (third in the last 12 months that I have noticed). It was a perfectly fine brick house but....what do I know. Mayfair Circle has one big battleship and one huge battleship going up currently....the charming original homes bulldozed to oblivion. Neighborhood aesthetics aren't important these days I reckon...because the new homes look startlingly out of place. Soon we will all be awash in two story white and gray (and stone veneered) kit homes. Oh well. Just a grumpy parrot waxing nostalgic. No worries. Cheers.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I don't know when the "tear down rebuild" trend is gonna end...but I hate to see it infect the downtown neighborhoods. Yet another Lake Como house got razed last week (third in the last 12 months that I have noticed). It was a perfectly fine brick house but....what do I know. Mayfair Circle has one big battleship and one huge battleship going up currently....the charming original homes bulldozed to oblivion. Neighborhood aesthetics aren't important these days I reckon...because the new homes look startlingly out of place. Soon we will all be awash in two story white and gray (and stone veneered) kit homes. Oh well. Just a grumpy parrot waxing nostalgic. No worries. Cheers.

Going north on Bumby today toward Corrine we saw another "coming soon big ugly box house" sign :tw_confounded: count me in as grumpy about this as well. All these big new boxes are so boring.

Also, was sort of surprised to see the Christmas tree still up in Lake Como. When my kids were little (so they tell me) I told them that the tree was under the lake all year and rises up in December for the holidays. :tw_joy:

15 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Going north on Bumby today toward Corrine we saw another "coming soon big ugly box house" sign

Yeah...I know the lot you are talking about. Houses are being bulldozed frequently in Audubon Park....I see changes almost every other week. Lake Weldona neighborhood lost another "perfectly fine 3/2 brick ranch" a few weeks back. A two story 4,000 square foot battleship is incoming (which will obviously blend right in with the other houses :tw_confused:). No worries. Cheers.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers

@angela1117 @Jolly Roger's Crackers I appreciate your sense of loss as you drive through these neighborhoods, but I'm going to be the contrarian voice here and say this is how inter-generational wealth is built.  In a desirable area, "Perfectly fine 3/2 brick ranch" houses are only as valuable as the land they are on. Land in downtown adjacent neighborhoods- such as Como, Milk and Colonialtown are currently undervalued compared to Thorton/ Delaney/ Copeland, so naturally this is where you are seeing investments being made. Personally, I view this as a good thing. 

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:41 PM, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

Where's the 3rd one?  I haven't seen it on my walks yet.  

That said the one on Mayfair near Bumby is interesting because they intended to have something just a little larger than what they had, but their builder demoed all the walls instead of keeping the shell like they originally intended.  (I guess they were supposed to keep a number of walls in place.)  They had to go back to the drawing board after that which caused a bunch of delays.   Now the house is framed out and upon seeing it, the owners were more than a little surprised at the scale of the house relative to the other houses.  Nothing really can be done about it now, but still.   The house on Buckminster sold for a little over $800k and the one on Mayfair closer to Newark is going for just under $1m.   Its insanity.

8 hours ago, codypet said:

Where's the 3rd one?  I haven't seen it on my walks yet.  

It's on Warwick (east side of the street...four lots up from Gore). It was a charming little 1951 2/1 and sold for $295,000 (?!?!). They already have the foundation laid for the new structure and (suprise suprise...) it is another "lot hog".

8 hours ago, codypet said:

The house on Buckminster sold for a little over $800k

Yeah...I forgot about that one. Make it four Lake Como houses demo'd in the last 12 (or so) months. Another house at Hempstead/Buckminster just sold for $441,000. It is a fairly large (for the area) 1952 3/2 on a large corner lot (with a pool). It needed some interior updating but the bones were great. If that one meets the bulldozer I might lose my faith in humanity. No worries. Cheers.

14 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

It's on Warwick (east side of the street...four lots up from Gore). It was a charming little 1951 2/1 and sold for $295,000 (?!?!). They already have the foundation laid for the new structure and (suprise suprise...) it is another "lot hog".

Yeah...I forgot about that one. Make it four Lake Como houses demo'd in the last 12 (or so) months. Another house at Hempstead/Buckminster just sold for $441,000. It is a fairly large (for the area) 1952 3/2 on a large corner lot (with a pool). It needed some interior updating but the bones were great. If that one meets the bulldozer I might lose my faith in humanity. No worries. Cheers.

It was Warwick.  I was trying to figure out where I saw it.

I spent some time talking to the son of the owner of that Hempstead/Buckminster house and they had said they had a no teardown clause on that house as part of the contract, but I have not idea how you enforce that.  The way they're handling that house, I have a hard time believing its coming down.  One prospective buyer was talking about knocking down just the back wall and building up from the back.

There's also 4 houses in a row on Anderson Place that got the knock down 2 walls and build a totally different house behind it style renovation too.  

Then there was this one backing up to Anderson on Mayfair that sold for $680k, but its predecessor had to go.  Still $680k with Anderson St and the 408 hovering over you without a pool is nuts to me.

image.thumb.png.23c8eb94d7038e0a85bb1d6f194a783a.pngimage.thumb.png.85bf258a19acb6917bccbf197cf9e573.png

I really don't complain too much about it though because my house 40 years ago was the same kind of development in this neighborhood (and I try to limit how much of a hypocrite I can be).

• Like 1

GS reports Orlando Colonial Plaza is in prelim discussions with the City to build a 5-8 story mixed use, residential building. The building containing B&N, Petco and Goodyear would be razed.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-colonial-plaza-apartments-20220217-hhbcxi2cazeffltagu2qxcyweq-story.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

GS reports Orlando Colonial Plaza is in prelim discussions with the City to build a 5-8 story mixed use, residential building. The building containing B&N, Petco and Goodyear would be razed.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/retail-dining-developments/gs-news-colonial-plaza-apartments-20220217-hhbcxi2cazeffltagu2qxcyweq-story.html

As much as I would love more apartments there, I'd hate to see another B&N lost in Orlando (after the Waterford Lakes B&N last year).  Especially when there is so much surface parking they could redevelop. However, these seem verrrry conceptual...

From the article:

studyarea.PNG.564904546ae8e9007a857649e774efc5.PNG

Option 1 with 203 units around 7-level parking garage connected by skybridge to 183-unit building.

Option1.PNG.4d140ebf475bf6845965d352f0762c2c.PNG

Option 2 with 242 units, 5 levels of parking, and 15,500 sf retail. Phase 2 would have 14 stories and 275 unites.

Option2.PNG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, orlandocity87 said:

As much as I would love more apartments there, I'd hate to see another B&N lost in Orlando (after the Waterford Lakes B&N last year).  Especially when there is so much surface parking they could redevelop. However, these seem verrrry conceptual...

It's almost as if they are hedging their bets that this B&N will also close.

I didn't realize this was public!  They are studying another site on property as well.

In smaller news, the dormant townhouse project across Bumby from here has new permit activity from a new builder, but I haven't been able to get in contact with them.

Edited by smileguy
  • Like 1

I cleaned up at the 75% off at the FL Mall B&N closing few weeks ago.

The B&N story is interesting. James Daunt founded a chain of bookstores here in London, Daunt Books, which were successful in the Age of Amazon. He then became CEO of a UK-wide chain of bookstores, Waterstones, in 2011 and has made that successful. He is now the CEO of both Waterstones and B&N. The difference between Waterstones and B&N? Waterstones stores are a little bigger than the old Waldenbooks stores which disappeared when big box retailers like Borders and B&N, followed by Amazon, made small bookstores antiquated. If anything, the big box retailer is more under threat than the B&N brand. I will not be upset by that. The WalMart-style big box retailer has been terrible for the environment, customer experience, and the economy. The “apocalypse of retail” is just evolution at work; I’m hoping to see that Colonial Plaza “power center” razed to the ground and replaced by something which enhances the community. (I’m still furious with the developers who dropped that steaming pile of merde on Orlando)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Nice to see a other signalized intersection - too bad Concord can’t just shoot straight across to Primrose unless they decided to raze other buildings.

I think the problem with that is the amount of traffic it would put on Concord between Mills and Bumby. It seems to be designed to not do that.

25 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

Update on Colonial Lanes (hard to believe it's been shuttered for four years). All sounds promising - good food, good drinks, good times.

primrose_lanes.jpg?cb=1646150174

I hope they don't leave the exterior that boring, bleached out, plain Jane looking all white.

Doesn't look anywhere near as cool without the kitschy looking bowling art on the walls.  

Maybe something along the top edge of that covered walkway. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

primrose_lanes.jpg?cb=1646150174

I hope they don't leave the exterior that boring, bleached out, plain Jane looking all white.

Doesn't look anywhere near as cool without the kitschy looking bowling art on the walls.  

Maybe something along the top edge of that covered walkway. 

hope so as well. I believe they're using the same firm that did the redesign of the Barton Malow building across the street. It's also "bleach-y," but with dark trim here and there. 

spacer.png

Seems about white. Did the city pass an ordinance that forbids the use of colors other than white or "light" gray when it comes to new construction? All the new neighborhood battleships are white and gray...as are the most of the new "apartment malls". Would it hurt to spash something with green or orange or (God forbid) something in a brown/tan palette? Anyway....eight lanes left. The wait time for lanes will likely exceed the wait times for tables.

p.s. Whoever paints over this...spacer.png

...goes on my official "poop" list. Cheers.

• Like 3