The Milk District

RedStar25

Just another night in the Milk District...

spacer.png

what can stop this "need for speed"? I see it everyday between

Anderson and Curry Ford Road......45-50 mph (in 25mph zones).

Robinson obviously gets alot of high speed exiting traffic from downtown.

It is depressing. Anyway...I stole a hat from a neighbor's backyard

today....it was just laying around...and appeared to be my size.......

...maybe I just borrowed it...

spacer.png

Not sure about it yet. It's not like I binge watched Yellowstone or anything...

Have a great night everybody. Cheers.

p.s. That wreck was outside of Bull And Bush......heavy duty bollards are ( I think) overdue.

Edited by Jolly Roger's Crackers
  • Like 3

The Downtown Connector Trail has started  construction and I'm hoping that the narrowing of Anderson as a result of that will slow traffic along that road.  A couple of neighbors have their front and back yards on Anderson and I would just scream if I had to  back out of my driveway with these idiots flying at 50 down those roads.  Bad enough on my road when they're going 35 when they should be going 25.  I'm still kind of peeved that CFX wasn't allowed to narrow South St from 3 to 2 and instead had to put that 2nd light at the Mills exit.  Those people on South must hate it as well.

Seems like if you live on a busy thoroughfare like Anderson or South, rather than backing into the roadway, it would be easier and safer to do a hard turn and back into your front yard, then hard turn again so you can pull out of your driveway going forward, like you do from a side street. 

Put some concrete pavers or a gravel bed in the yard where you back onto it. 

Can anyone explain the origin of people being able to just park on Robinson and why we still do it? Always seems insane to me that you can be going down the road and all the sudden you run into a lane of parked cars in a normal lane. I feel the same about Orange downtown but that seems to be because of the Catholic church so I doubt that one gets changed.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Seems like if you live on a busy thoroughfare like Anderson or South, rather than backing into the roadway, it would be easier and safer to do a hard turn and back into your front yard, then hard turn again so you can pull out of your driveway going forward, like you do from a side street. 

Put some concrete pavers or a gravel bed in the yard where you back onto it. 

Its not just the backing in and out, noone should be driving that fast in front of anyones house.  One distracted moment and you're in someones living room at that speed.  

I know from my experience on Bumby when I've backed into the driveway that by the time I turn and stop to reverse (signaling and everything) someone is on my tail honking and now preventing me from reversing into the driveway.   I sometimes wonder if any of those people have self realization once the notice I'm not some guy blocking the road, but someone who is actually trying to get into their house.  And my driveway is pretty large so I'm not in as bad of a situation as the people with 50's houses with one driveway.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Its not just the backing in and out, noone should be driving that fast in front of anyones house.  One distracted moment and you're in someones living room at that speed.  

I know from my experience on Bumby when I've backed into the driveway that by the time I turn and stop to reverse (signaling and everything) someone is on my tail honking and now preventing me from reversing into the driveway.   I sometimes wonder if any of those people have self realization once the notice I'm not some guy blocking the road, but someone who is actually trying to get into their house.  And my driveway is pretty large so I'm not in as bad of a situation as the people with 50's houses with one driveway.

I agree 1,000% about speeders, especially in residential areas. One of my many pet peeves.

But as for the other part, I wasn't talking about backing INTO the driveway so you could pull out forward, I was talking about using one's front yard to turn around in.

Forgive the primitive nature of my diagram, I used a paint app on my tablet and had to draw with my finger.

Screenshot-20220310-103541.jpg

Basically, back up into one's own front yard, turn and drive forward to the end of the driveway and enter the roadway as if you were making a turn at a stop sign or entering from a side street.

NBD, just ruminating about how I would handle such a situation if I lived on a busy thoroughfare like South or Anderson.  :thumbsup: 

6 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Can anyone explain the origin of people being able to just park on Robinson and why we still do it? Always seems insane to me that you can be going down the road and all the sudden you run into a lane of parked cars in a normal lane. I feel the same about Orange downtown but that seems to be because of the Catholic church so I doubt that one gets changed.

On say, Tasty Tuesday, where else do you park?  Or even in general, Sportstown has like 6 parking spots.  It's an urban neighborhood designed for street parking.

5 hours ago, codypet said:

As aforementioned 50s house with one driveway... living on Delaney I have the same issue.  I tend to put my blinker on somewhat early and then start going decently slow, and 95% of people get it but yeah, its a major hassle that I don't look forward to

• Like 1

18 hours ago, codypet said:

The Downtown Connector Trail has started  construction

I hoofed it over to the corner of Hampton and Anderson today and didn't see anything (east or west). Is the new construction down near Mills or Delaney?

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

On say, Tasty Tuesday, where else do you park?

On Milk Mart days (and other events) most folks park over at The Plaza Theater...they have alot of free space there. It's only a short walk.

8 hours ago, popsiclebrandon said:

able to just park on Robinson and why we still do it? Always seems insane

It is insane. I live in the neighborhood and everytime I drive by that section I think "instant car crash". There have been several (I think three?) incidences of vehicles crashing into various Milk District business fronts in the last few months. Something needs to be done there for sure.

2 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

It is insane. I live in the neighborhood and everytime I drive by that section I think "instant car crash". There have been several (I think three?) incidences of vehicles crashing into various Milk District business fronts in the last few months. Something needs to be done there for sure.

Just saw this one reported on recently.

Local 6 throwing shade at the other newscasts there.

Soon (Road Diet Roll Plot)

15 hours ago, Jolly Roger's Crackers said:

I hoofed it over to the corner of Hampton and Anderson today and didn't see anything (east or west). Is the new construction down near Mills or Delaney?

Mills/Anderson.  But at Hampton/Anderson and Bumby/Anderson you should see the road work signs.

IMG_20220311_085545.jpg

Edited by codypet

5 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Work started on Colonial Lanes. There is a Conex box, work trucks with a bunch of trailers, and a mini-excavatorer working on site utilities today. Doors were open and they were working on the inside as well. 

20220321_172314.thumb.jpg.2a7290e5f51fb50a12c4095d00cfa861.jpg

It won't be long now.....

fred-flintstones-bowling.gif 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

This looks like an amazing event coming up in The Milk - @smileguy is making sure they got class AND panache in what is probably the most creative Main Street District:

https://bungalower.com/2022/04/25/creative-city-project-teams-up-with-orlando-philharmonic-in-new-immersive-event/

From Bungalower 

I wanna go!

On 4/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, spenser1058 said:

This looks like an amazing event coming up in The Milk - @smileguy is making sure they got class AND panache in what is probably the most creative Main Street District:

https://bungalower.com/2022/04/25/creative-city-project-teams-up-with-orlando-philharmonic-in-new-immersive-event/

From Bungalower 

I wanna go!

Wish we could take credit for this one!  We do work closely with Creative City,  and they've brought on a number of new team members recently including one of our steadfast volunteers. It's great to see organizations like this grow,  and we love when we can host them in the Milk District!

• Like 1