The Milk District

RedStar25

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

Sadly, the decrepit old Gulf station on the SE corner still sits empty and declining.

At SOME point something is gonna happen there.  Looking at that neighborhood and the neighborhood to the South (Curry Ford West) its insane the amount of redevelopment and infill going on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know this might be the extreme north end of the Milk District, but the Subway at Hampton and 50 is no more.  First firehouse and now Subway.  Jimmy Johns I think is the only game in the area if you want a quick chain sub there.   You got Bad As's sandwhich there so win one for the locals.

1 hour ago, codypet said:

I know this might be the extreme north end of the Milk District, but the Subway at Hampton and 50 is no more.  First firehouse and now Subway.  Jimmy Johns I think is the only game in the area if you want a quick chain sub there.   You got Bad As's sandwhich there so win one for the locals.

Wow.

Subway has been in that location for a long time.

I recall eating there a few times back around 1982 - 83!!!! 

41 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Wow.

Subway has been in that location for a long time.

I recall eating there a few times back around 1982 - 83!!!! 

image.png.e5af6dcdd8672ba20da967bccc32aa34.png

Hmm temporarily closed per the business itself.  All the signage is gone which is usually a signal to me that its permanent.  Subway's own website doesn't show it anymore either.   Most tear down/rebuilds keep the signage up at the street (most recent case being the Shell @ Curry Ford)

image.png.09eedd67810d8aa21890f255b82150e0.png

I know this was true from Walgreen's that not updating the location to the current signage and branding was an indication that a location would close.  This one didn't get the logo update, but IIRC Subway has been slow to update their signage.

Edited by codypet

22 minutes ago, codypet said:

image.png.e5af6dcdd8672ba20da967bccc32aa34.png

Hmm temporarily closed per the business itself.  All the signage is gone which is usually a signal to me that its permanent.  Subway's own website doesn't show it anymore either.   Most tear down/rebuilds keep the signage up at the street (most recent case being the Shell @ Curry Ford)

image.png.09eedd67810d8aa21890f255b82150e0.png

I know this was true from Walgreen's that not updating the location to the current signage and branding was an indication that a location would close.  This one didn't get the logo update, but IIRC Subway has been slow to update their signage.

That's a good looking little building.

I hope they don't tear it down or change the exterior. 

Hmmm...the subway on Orange just north of Kaley has a closed sign on it too. I can't remember the exact wording if it said remodeling or temporarily closed.

This may be old news but it just caught my eye yesterday so new news to me at least. :tw_smile:

Edited by angela1117

3 hours ago, codypet said:

According to Bungalower, it'll be a bagel shop.  The Milk District and Mills 50 main streets meet at Bumby and 50, so this is Mills 50.

https://bungalower.com/2022/04/10/new-bagel-shop-opening-in-former-subway-shop/

24 minutes ago, angela1117 said:

Hmmm...the subway on Orange just north of Kaley has a closed sign on it too. I can't remember the exact wording if it said remodeling or temporarily closed.

This may be old news but it just caught my eye yesterday so new news to me at least. :tw_smile:

They could demo that building and put up something bigger and nicer AFAIC.

Screenshot-20220609-131343.jpg

Kind of a ratty looking site anyway.

Need to build something out to the sidewalk and move the parking to the back.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, codypet said:

Interesting.  As the crow flies, I would think Milk is closer than Mills 50.

Here's a map of the District boundaries (though some changed a couple years ago and this isn't updated.)
https://gis.orlando.gov/PDF_Docs/EconomicDevelopmentMaps/MainStreetProgramAreas.pdf

Milk has extended down Robinson to Fern Creek and wrapped the north side of OEA to Calvin.

Mills 50 has been around much longer,  so those borders were in place long before The Milk District businesses were able to get a program.   

5 hours ago, codypet said:

PubSubs at the Homonialtown Publix! That Subway did have a long run there (of course, I remember the Dark Ages when it was Schmidt Motorcycles).

Edited by spenser1058