The Milk District

RedStar25

9 hours ago, orlandouprise said:

This is on the city. Why let builders run rampant and put up architectural trash like this.The Orlando AR board should protect at least the core of the city from this...

That's out of the city limits.  That's Orange County who doesn't care.

20 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Drove by this area and noted the new construction on Bumby adjacent to Curry Ford.   There are 3-4 of these being built.

Introducing "The Garages at Hourglass District."   Welcome home.

I'd have to see the exact address, but I think that is county land.  It switches back and forth over there based on what side of the street you're on.

Either way, this should all be a new thread.  Milk District and Curry Ford are quite different IMO

17 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

You snobs need to take it down a notch. I wish I could afford a house with a one car garage in Orlando.  I already had one taken from me on short sale elsewhere.

No offense personally, I tend to agree with you all usually, but geez, can't have good taste and cheap local exurbs at the same time! 

True.

Not every home built in Orlando needs to be trendy, urban or hip. I'm sure once they're finished and the landscaping is in, they'll be nice, decent, middle class homes and fit into the neighborhood.

• Like 3

JFW, that's my point. I guess snobs may have been a bit harsh. I love architecture and good design, etc. as much as the next, but we need affordable options and that type of housing is what that ends up being.  We can talk theory all we want about affordable, high-density housing downtown, good urban planning, mass transit to reduce gas consumption and costs, walkability, etc. But bottom line is housing prices/rent are not going down in the core anytime soon and a lot of the "young urban energetic desirable" crowd that cities always try to attract can't afford this type of development. The math just doesn't add up in this equation.  It's like the old "fast, quality, cheap, pick two" saying.  

In that area, this type of housing is pretty standard and not out of what we could expect to be happening there. Drop this into Eola Heights or Thorton Park and I would agree, it wouldn't fit and would be awful design for the area. But where it is at, and at the price it is at, and how it is incorporated into the surrounding neighborood, it fits that area just fine and fills a need. Could have been better designed and less garage dominant facade, but that's what is cheap and normal in these mass suburban-like developments.  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

Speaking of the Hourglass District, these places (Cobblestone Walk at Kaley) are nearing completion...

IMG_20170606_091643.jpg

Looks like something else is about to start going up on a recently cleared parcel right across the street, too...

IMG_20170606_091720.jpg

Used to be this little place...

Screenshot_20170601-105446.png

Not sure if the address shown is correct.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Dude that's Kaley Park not Hourglass District.  

Geesh 

I live right around the corner from there and my legal description says Hourglass.

Maybe you should inform the county Property Appraiser's Office of their error.

Either way, it's close enough for our discussion.

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

I live right around the corner from there and my legal description says Hourglass.

Maybe you should inform the county Property Appraiser's Office of their error.

Either way, it's close enough for our discussion.

I was joking...but here's the article that my comment was based on:  http://bungalower.com/2016/04/05/former-college-roommates-transform-single-family-lot-row-townhouses/

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, depressing news for a Monday morning. Bungalower reports longtime bowling alley Colonial Lanes may be replaced by a four-story self storage facility. 

I still haven't gotten over them replacing the neon bowling ball sign years ago with the current plastic sign but that pales by comparison with this impending travesty. I've never researched it, but it's been suggested the building likely dates back to WWII when the old Orlando Army Air Corps Base extended over past Bumby. Say it isn't so!

http://bungalower.com/2017/08/06/developer-replacing-colonial-lanes-with-self-storage-facility/

Edited by spenser1058

I said nothing when Dowdy Pavillion closed, but losing this would be a travesty of epic proportions.   Milk District should be able to support the place.  The bar itself is crazy nostalgic and for something as blah as a Public storage which could just as easily go across the street on that warehouse they're trying to sell.

• Like 1

It would be nice if they would/could (or maybe it's could/would) use the bottom floor to continue on as Colonial Lanes, reusing as much of the existing interior as possible. Maybe dig up the old neon sign, even.

The renderings don't look bad at all. But losing all that nostalgia and local history would be a travesty.

• Like 1

Since this is causing a fuss here and on social media, it's worth noting that GrowthSpotter broke this on July 25 and included an interview with Titan:

"We like that (Milk District) submarket and will see where this goes with the city," Titan's in-house counsel Patricia Loy told GrowthSpotter. "A lot of cities view (self storage) as an industrial use, which draws a certain reaction. Fortunately the property has a lot of options thanks to its zoning as Metropolitan Activity Center (AC-3), so there are other uses we're looking at as well." 

Titan is proposing to subdivide the site into 1.58-acre and 0.89-acre parcels, with the larger of the two developed first as a four-story, 102,745-square-foot self storage facility. The second parcel would be developed in the future with a separate SPMP. 

The developer anticipates the city will ask for a portion of the building to include ground-floor retail space, said Loy, which Titan is preparing for. 

• Like 1

Retail could mean anything. Another mattress store, or a fabric barn, or cell phone store etc, etc.

Just designating it as retail doesn't mean they will keep the character and flavor of what's there now, which is a place that draws people who go there to interact and have fun.

That's what the city should push for, if not insist on. 

Something entertainment oriented.

4 minutes ago, AndyPok1 said:

I care less about losing the building that is Colonial Lanes and care more about losing a conveniently located bowling alley (and bar with liquor which is largely absent in the milk district)

True. The building itself is little more than a large hangar or shed, on the outside at least.

Kinda ugly, really.

A redesigned four story exterior would be great, but keeping it as a bowling alley and reusing the interior would really be a nice thing.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...