The Milk District

RedStar25

Joy Wallace Dickinson on BEEFY King:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0527-story.html#nt=outfit

To show you can always learn new things: I never knew that the original owner of BEEFY, Tom Veigle, also started another local chain, Tom's Pizza (there was one next door to BEEFY King).

An oddity of  Colonial Plaza and Winter Park Mall was that Larry Leckart (from Ronnie's) secured the rights to food service in each mall. While national retail chains still got to have restaurants (like Walgreens and Grant's), no one else but Larry could. That's how Colonial Plaza came to have fast food and other eateries all around it.

When Orlando Fashion Square opened in 1973, it seemed like a minor miracle to have so many places to eat right in the mall (including Orlando's first Chick-Fil-A.)

Edited by spenser1058

Veigle family has done a lot including Rachel’s and The Barn 

On 6/1/2018 at 5:59 PM, orlandoguy said:

This morning on my way to work I noticed dirt piles and a silt fence on the block behind the South Street Chevron at Primrose and Jackson. Anyone know what's going on?

The lot north or the lot west of chevron?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Joy Wallace Dickinson on BEEFY King:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/os-joy-wallace-dickinson-0527-story.html#nt=outfit

To show you can always learn new things: I never knew that the original owner of BEEFY, Tom Veigle, also started another local chain, Tom's Pizza (there was one next door to BEEFY King).

An oddity of  Colonial Plaza and Winter Park Mall was that Larry Leckart (from Ronnie's) secured the rights to food service in each mall. While national retail chains still got to have restaurants (like Walgreens and Grant's), no one else but Larry could. That's how Colonial Plaza came to have fast food and other eateries all around it.

When Orlando Fashion Square opened in 1973, it seemed like a minor miracle to have so many places to eat right in the mall (including Orlando's first Chick-Fil-A.)

Speaking of Beefy King, did anyone go to their 50th anniversary celebration yesterday? I got there around 10:30 and it was just in time, too. There were about 30 people ahead of me in line and by the time they opened, about 100 behind me. By the time I left, the dining room was packed and the line still went around the building. Worth the effort, though. I hadn't eaten there literally in decades. And the half price original menu items were nice, too. 

The downside of getting there early enough to beat the long wait in line, was that I missed the chance to be waited on by our "Buddy", aka Hizzoner the Mayor, who apparently dropped by later in the afternoon to get a free t-shirt and sling some sammidges...

DetNZ_lUwAAgga1.jpg

And speaking of Tom's Pizza, back in the 60's - early 70's, there was a Tom's Pizza over in Cocoa near Provost Park, around the intersection of W. King St (520) and Fiske Blvd. I think the building is still there. Loved their pizza. It was rectangular and super thin. Had no idea there was a Beefy King connection.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Wow, that's amazing. I don't do crowds so I missed it but I will be there at least once this week as I usually am for the best hot pastrami in town (at least since Ronnie's bit the dust.)

As for Tom's Pizza, we went to a tiny one next to the old Publix in Pine Hills Center.

Apparently there's still a Tom's in DeLand.

Same rectangular pizza, too...

36b953076e55ad66e9c7ce187a087646--tom-s-

• Like 1

The lot north or the lot west of chevron?

The lot to the north of the Chevron. May be nothing but I hadn't read anything on here about it.

(As I was typing the question I was completely thinking, "There's no way to say this without being a little confusing.") [emoji851]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 1:28 PM, HankStrong said:

The Gringos Locos in the MD is vastly inferior to the one downtown.

That's saying a lot.

The staff at the DT location are, in my experience, both friendly and accommodating, but the facility itself is disgusting - which is why I stopped going more than a year ago. I can only imagine how much they have to pay out to the health department inspectors in order to stay open. 

Hard to beat a big, stuffed burrito for $5 after 4 PM, but the aroma from the open sewers they call restrooms and the visibly dirty kitchen and prep areas, and the arguments the owners seemed to be constantly having with staff in the middle of the restaurant  outweigh the economic value.

The place up the street next to Empire Szechuan has better food and appears to be much cleaner as well, though they are also more expensive.

Edited by Camillo Sitte

2 hours ago, Camillo Sitte said:

That's saying a lot.

The staff at the DT location are, in my experience, both friendly and accommodating, but the facility itself is disgusting - which is why I stopped going more than a year ago. I can only imagine how much they have to pay out to the health department inspectors in order to stay open. 

Hard to beat a big, stuffed burrito for $5 after 4 PM, but the aroma from the open sewers they call restrooms and the visibly dirty kitchen and prep areas, and the arguments the owners seemed to be constantly having with staff in the middle of the restaurant  outweigh the economic value.

The place up the street next to Empire Szechuan has better food and appears to be much cleaner as well, though they are also more expensive.

I feel the opposite.  I find the MD one superior to downtown and I prefer going there than DT.  I haven't been to Sodo though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sunshine said:

Instead of randomly erecting all these uninspring projects, I wish they would just buy a big swash of land and build a modern walkable neighbourhood.

I've often wondered if you could ever bend the ear of one of those super rich people who have an interest in quality of life to make something like this happen?

One of the Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Elon Musk, Larry Ellison types who might actually say "Hmm... a fully LEED certified, walkable city, with a ton of the best innovations in the 21st century might be amazing!"  It could be a re-coup your money thing, not just pure charity. 

Just like created out of a cow pasture or something.  Like not an existing city, but a fresh one somewhere.

14 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

I've often wondered if you could ever bend the ear of one of those super rich people who have an interest in quality of life to make something like this happen?

One of the Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Elon Musk, Larry Ellison types who might actually say "Hmm... a fully LEED certified, walkable city, with a ton of the best innovations in the 21st century might be amazing!"  It could be a re-coup your money thing, not just pure charity. 

Just like created out of a cow pasture or something.  Like not an existing city, but a fresh one somewhere.

Nothing that ambitious, of course, but Bill Gates involved with Jeff Vinik in reinventing downtown Tampa's Channelside District.

45 minutes ago, HankStrong said:

Don't we already have a couple of those fake, tailor made, cutesefied, slapped together faux "cities" around here?

I think we call one of them Celebration and the other one Baldwin Park:yawn:

• Like 1