The Milk District

RedStar25

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

Thanks. Must have been in a different thread... I'll go look for it.

IAmReal, It was in Other Metro Area Projects a while back: https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/9629-other-metro-area-projects/?do=findComment&comment=1493638 

Wasn't listed in the Milk District thread, probably because it isn't really in the Milk District. Not the best name given the location, but I can sure see why they want to market it as the "trendy" Milk District. 

Edited by dcluley98

Long before we got Celebration, Seaside was developed in the panhandle. Played, lived and worked in that part of the state for many, many, many years. It's an interesting place and worth a visit if you're interested in urban planning.

https://www.smartcitiesdive.com/ex/sustainablecitiescollective/reconsidering-seaside-florida/170706/

The moral of the story is we could have had a walkable city with peoplemovers, monorails and even an airport (that's why OIA took 'til 1981 - they were waiting on Disney to no avail) but then Walt died from lung cancer thanks in large part to a four pack a day habit. So, if you love great urban environments, stop smoking!

• 2 months later...

It's a good week for all of you whose favorite pub crawl is to the dive bars.

First, word that Wally's is likely to reopen (and the family's mention that they had no intention of selling to someone "wanting to build a high rise" made me think how well they'd get on with some of our UPers.)

Now comes word that Lou's Lounge on Bumby has sold but will continue on pretty much as before, perhaps with some entertainment upgrades. Best of all, Elvis will NOT be leaving the building.

https://bungalower.com/2018/10/24/whiskey-lous-lounge-has-new-owners/

From Bumgalower

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-wallys-bar-mills-50-reopen-20181022-story,amp.html

From the Sentinel

GO VOTE!

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

Scott J stops in to the Stasio Italian Deli and Market. Good looking sammiches and the old LightStyle building has certainly been spiffed up.

Just think, if you sit at the window you might be able to peek through the trees at T.G. Lee and see the cow on the roof! (It's true I don't get out much...)

https://www.scottjosephorlando.com/reviews/recent-reviews/61-italian/4520-stasio-s-italian-deli-market

Given the cost of most fast food these days, 12 bucks for a sub is not that surprising.

I have to wonder if Scott Joseph's idea of a "huge sub" is the same as mine.

Back in the mid 80's, there were these two affiliated Italian places in Orlando, one at University and Goldenrod and another in Pine Hills somewhere (I think). I can't remember their name, but they sold a meatball sub that even I couldn't believe the size of.

Must've been a good 16", maybe 18" long. The individual meatballs were huge, too. As big as a kid's fist. I can eat A LOT of food, but I could only finish half of one of these bad boys.

Around 6 bucks I believe, which was pretty expensive for a sub back then.

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

As Scott J points out, the things are YUGE. There are also several cheaper options, that's just the specialty subs.

There's a pic of the entire menu in the article. I don't recall seeing many items that were much less than $12. I think there were a few $10 subs, but that's still a bit steep.

4 hours ago, sunshine said:

This same as the food truck pricing are a bit steep for a non sit down table service.  And they ask you for tips.

I will stick with my Ruth Chris steak house happy hour and happily give my 20% tips.

I dropped by that "A Faire" shindig at Will's Pub last weekend.

There was a food truck there selling various kinds of macaroni and cheese...

...for ten bucks a serving. :shok:

I stifled the urge to laugh as I walked past.

30 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

What if they top it with artisanal, hickory-nut fed, free range bacon and black truffle sprankles? LOL  

In that case, I'd be ok with just a couple of gallons instead of five. :D

But seriously, I can't really have all those carbs anyway.

Getting older sucks like that... :(

13 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

My favorite is still Publix Deluxe Cheesy Shells which I add all kinds of goodies to. 

They have about the best store bought macaroni salad I've ever had.

Mix some cubed ham into it and... :w00t:

• Like 1